+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Can't believe how many people actually use clothes driers! I'm too tight 😄.
    LOL, this is the exact reason I've never owned one until a year or so ago! I got jack of having smelly towels as they take too long to dry in a unit.

Well it seems most people don't leave them running, especially when leaving the house. So looks like I'll have to reign in my risky behaviour. I never really thought that much about the fire risk until my friend said it.
    I only use my dryer when the weather is bad anyway, and for towels and sheets.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    As long as you clean out the dust filter at the front and don't have it too close to the wall behind it the risks are pretty minimal in my opinion.

We actually don't own a clothes line! We have a small indoor pull out one in the laundry for things that can't be tumble dried but there's no way I'm hanging out every single tiny t-shirt, shorts - dress etc of my kids. I also don't like crunchy towels so they always go in the dryer.

My house is a tip as it is, if I had to hang out the washing as well, id hate to think how much filth we would be living in!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think I've ever cleaned the lint filter in ours 😳

should get dh to take a look at it I guess!

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm unusual by the looks of things!
    We use it for all our linen, towels and most of DH's clothes.
    We hang my work clothes and DS's clothes on an airing rack in the lounge room for now.
    We regularly leave the drier on overnight and when we go out.
    It's out in the garage rather than the laundry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only use mine while at home ( never while sleeping) and clean the lint filter after every use. I am too paranoid about fires. I have to admit that I have started using the dryer more so now after having kids - way too much laundry for my liking so dryer can sometimes be a lifesaver.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't own a dryer and baring extremely wet weather (like the last week) I never hang anything on my line.

I hang clothing on the clothes horse and / or shelf and door frame of laundry lol
    Towels are hung over doors and the show curtain rod

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've only had mine for 2yrs, and always put it on at night before bed, my friend totally freaked out when I told her, so I did some research- apparently the biggest fire risk is the lint, I have two lint compartment thingys, one I empty after each use, the other once a week.

My dryer stops working if either lint tray is full, and has a sensor thingy so if the clothes are dry before the cycle is through, it just turns itself off.
    So I have no problem turning it on before bed or a quick trip to the shops.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (31-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I never ever have the dryer, washing machine, dishwasher etc on while I'm not home. My aunt had her dishwasher catch fire while she was sitting in the lounge after dinner once, so lucky she was home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    I've only had mine for 2yrs, and always put it on at night before bed, my friend totally freaked out when I told her, so I did some research- apparently the biggest fire risk is the lint, I have two lint compartment thingys, one I empty after each use, the other once a week.

My dryer stops working if either lint tray is full, and has a sensor thingy so if the clothes are dry before the cycle is through, it just turns itself off.
    So I have no problem turning it on before bed or a quick trip to the shops.
    My dryer has a sensor too, so it only dries for just the right amount of time.
    AFAIK mine only has one lint filter, which I check before every load. I probably empty it every second or so load, depending on what's been in the dryer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we owned a dryer I did. It was a condenser dryer, which I believe are less likely to catch on fire. It was never a problem. We haven't owned a dryer for over 2 years, though, and have no plans to get one.