extreme 3 year old behaviour PLEASE help | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default extreme 3 year old behaviour PLEASE help

My three years old's behaviour is tearing our family apart. I just don't know what to do anymore. She is extremely spirited and a gorgeous kid but I'm struggling with managing her.

I can't see the wood for the trees anymore and have tried so many different things. Firstly her sleep is disrupted so every night she will either:
    struggle to get to sleep or
    wake 4/5 times and sometimes run around the house screaming when tried to put back to bed.
    We have her in the bed some nights but it's not a viable option as she actually stays awake more (the other night 12-3 am) when in our bed.
    Plus she wakes at 5 am everyday. She are slowly cutting out or down the day sleep which does make her go down easier.

Basically she is spending everyday extremely irritable. Constant screaming or whining and crying for most of the day.
    She is stimulated and we do activities out of the house daily.

I've tried time out, time in, rewards, we identify her feelings with her and use lots of praise.

we have an xray referral to check for adenoids as at times she does mouth breathe and snore. Plus We are going to a paediatrician.

I'm lost where to next.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you looked at her diet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    no. she doesnt eat badly but it could be improved. Any reading you suggest?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Additive alert is a great book - a lot of additives and preservative are known to cause hyperactivity in children - many foods marketed to kids like yogurts , juices, muesli bars , cereals and biscuits contain these additives

Fish oil is known to calm behaviour as well so might be something to try
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 30-01-2016 at 11:32.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

maternidade  (30-01-2016),Stretched  (30-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't fall for the "natural" colour gimmick either.
    annatto (160b) is one of the worst. It is naturally occurring, it's in a lot of products and can cause major issues.
    As its "natural" companies can legally say no artificial colours.

http://fedup.com.au/factsheets/addit...s/160b-annatto

7. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

Jenga  (30-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to admit I've fallen for it before

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fed up by sue dengate, I think it's called. Maybe the fail safe diet could be helpful

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a student naturopath and take it from me, diet accounts for about 90% of behavioural problems.
    My almost 3 year old eats mostly clean but I do occasionally give her a cookie or a biscuit and it's on those days that she acts up. Cut out packaged food. I mean zero packaged food. Cut out all added sugars. Fruit is fine obviously but in moderation. Stay away from dried fruits. Yoghurt squeezie punches are another culprit of added garbage. Just get a natural pot set yoghurt and add some honey to sweeten or a dash of vanilla bean paste.
    As already mentioned above, fish oil is ESSENTIAL especially if your lo doesn't eat essential fatty acids found in fatty fish. Coconut oil is another essential in everyone's diet. Make up some protein balls with coconut oil and cacao as a chocolatey snack.

Thanks
    Reviews
    you have just described the last 2 1/2 years with my now 5 1/2 year old

He is *better* now, tbh youve gotten further then me, everyone Ive spoken to says oh no way, hes a good boy etc etc

they havent had the weird noises, 45 minutes screaming fits over nothing etc

i am about to start a food diary, I suspect sausages, mince (in spag bol) and a few other foods that we eat a bit are triggering alot of his melt downs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi1987 View Post
    you have just described the last 2 1/2 years with my now 5 1/2 year old

He is *better* now, tbh youve gotten further then me, everyone Ive spoken to says oh no way, hes a good boy etc etc

they havent had the weird noises, 45 minutes screaming fits over nothing etc

i am about to start a food diary, I suspect sausages, mince (in spag bol) and a few other foods that we eat a bit are triggering alot of his melt downs
    Sausages contain sulphites (additive 220) which can cause hyperactivity and behavioural problems in kids so Id try stopping those first - it's illegal in Australia to use sulphites in beef mince so just make sure you buy 100% beef mince for your spag Bol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (30-01-2016)