+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Unable to access ovary during IVF egg retrieval

Hi all, has anyone had experience with doctors unable to access one or both ovaries in order to retrieve eggs for IVF?
    I am currently with The Fertility Centre Springwood. Had my second scan this morning. Have been on FSH for the last week. Preparing for egg retrieval on Tues.
    My right ovary has a 2cm endometrioma and one follicle hiding behind it. My left ovary is hidden behind the uterus and has been for years as a result of severe endometriosis. Left ovary has 2 good sized follicles though.
    Not sure until we are in theatre whether or not they will be able to access any of the follicles. If they try to access the left ovary they may have to go through the uterus. I'm told this can be painful.

wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes experienced this in a past egg retrieval. One of my ovaries always hides, but had previous egg retrievals and no issue accessing both ovaries. However I have had one retrieval where they could only access one ovary. Was very disappointing as it obviously means only getting half the amount of eggs.

The following stim cycle, my FS and i discussed this happening again and I signed consent for a laparoscopy, so that that if my ovary could not be found/reached transvaginally, that they would retrieve them through laparoscopy (my tummy). Luckily my ovary wasn't hiding that day so was able to reach both transvaginally, but that was our back up plan 😀 so I would discuss similar with you FS - it would be a shame to only retrieve from one ovary.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kellbell85 For This Useful Post:

rbmv227  (20-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Kellbell85. The Doctor was able to access my left ovary on the day of egg retrieval but had to pierce my uterus to get there. Retrieved 6 eggs. But unfortunately the cycle has resulted in a bfn So it's back to the drawing board and fingers crossed for cycle number 4

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I know you're already done and dusted with egg retrieval, but I just wanted to chime in and say hi and share my story, if you don't mind...
    My first cycle was cancelled because of this very same issue. It was so devastating because I had to go through surgery again to remove the cysts and then there was no guarantee that they could access my ovaries. After the surgery my endo surgeon (who is also my FS) said that he wasn't able to position my ovaries any better. So I was preparing myself for an abdominal egg collection. Anyway long story short, several scans later my ovaries seemed to miraculously get into a better (but still difficult) position, which required GA for EC.

Good luck with your next cycle! Hopefully there are no issues with anymore punctures to the uterus and everything goes smoothly for you I'll be starting a new stim cycle in March