+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Can I ask how much fruit and veg did you end up with? I couldn't only spend $20 on fruit and veggies for a whole week - even just buying from my local fruit shop and not organic we spend $100 a week easily
    This is us. We spend about $100 a week at the fruit and veg shop. This usually also includes some nuts, wraps, olives etc. I think it just depends on what you eat. I went today to the fruit shop and bought fresh figs, strawberries, wraps, peaches, plums, tiger watermelon, pears, bananas, nectars, grapes, broccoli, butter beans, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, Italian bread, lettuce etc And $75 later...lol I actually tought that was reasonable. Anyway each to their own.

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We had a giant blue cold bag full.
    Fruit- grapes, apples, bananas, nectarines, peaches, mandarins and kiwi fruit.

Veg- capsicum, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, zucchini and cucumber.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hakuna matata For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (31-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Those who are quoting small amounts for their weekly shop eg under $150 are you only including food in this figure or everything you buy at the supermarket?

I went grocery shopping today and was thinking of this thread while paying for my groceries. A lot of non food items are in my trolley every week eg toilet paper, shampoo, razor blades, pads, tampons, deodorant, cleaning products, tooth brushes, tooth paste, socks (always seem to need replacing), whatever else we need.

The non food items would actually add up to be quite a fair bit every week. When I quoted my weekly grocery spend I was including all those items.

With three teens in the house, we go though a lot of the above.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
    We had a giant blue cold bag full.
    Fruit- grapes, apples, bananas, nectarines, peaches, mandarins and kiwi fruit.

Veg- capsicum, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, zucchini and cucumber.
    14 different items for $20. I'm seriously shocked, assuming you brought equal amounts (I'm sure you didn't). That is $1.40 per item. Spinach is usually $4 a bunch at my F&V, I want to shop where you do!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our weekly shop is around $250-$300. That includes 8-10 litres of milk, bread from Baker's Delight, one of which is sourdough which costs $5, and often 2 dozen eggs at $9 a carton. I meal plan but don't shop in season. Currently I'm paying $4.50 for an avocado and having 2-3 a week. We've cut down our meat consumption and eat mostly vegetarian, partly because we don't want to compromise on brands and I CBFd going to multiple shops.

Suits us. It's in our budget and we get tons of Flybuys points. I could make it less if I had to, but it would mean compromising on aspects we don't need nor want to.

Wine is in addition to this, about $60 a month.

ETA: me, DH who runs 70km a week (so eats more than "normal") and 2 boys. DS1 has hollow legs and I can't fill him. Also have 2 cats and a dog but their dried food I buy in bulk every 3-6 months so that's not included.
    Last edited by Moxy; 31-01-2016 at 15:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Those who are quoting small amounts for their weekly shop eg under $150 are you only including food in this figure or everything you buy at the supermarket?

I went grocery shopping today and was thinking of this thread while paying for my groceries. A lot of non food items are in my trolley every week eg toilet paper, shampoo, razor blades, pads, tampons, deodorant, cleaning products, tooth brushes, tooth paste, socks (always seem to need replacing), whatever else we need.

The non food items would actually add up to be quite a fair bit every week. When I quoted my weekly grocery spend I was including all those items.

With three teens in the house, we go though a lot of the above.
    I was wondering this. My razors alone are $9 for two and I go through 2 a week easy, sometimes 3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I actually wouldn't have a clue what I spend. I think I prefer it that way 😎

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (31-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @SSecret Squirrel - I don't tend to need to buy non-food items every week, so for us it's not really an issue. For razor blades we signed up to the 'dollar shave club', so for about $7 a month we have 4 razor blades posted to us, which DH and I share because neither of us shave anything daily.

My Shampoo & Conditioner (mine only) lasts about 3 months, whilst the stuff for DH and the children lasts about a month. Toothpaste is something we buy fortnight, and toothbrushes 2 monthly. Shower gel, I buy the 1lt Dove bottles, so that lasts a few months. My skincare is a monthly purchase as is toilet paper. Deodorants again are probably a 1-2 month purchase.

Washing up liquid, spray and wipe, laundry powder etc are all 6 monthly purchases.

I guess for me, the way my non-food items are staggered I am left buying food items only more often than not, so the shops are cheaper, but yes, when I do buy non-food items, the end bill is higher.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    I think we're about $200-$250 a week. That's for 2 adults and 1 toddler. I don't pay attention to shopping. It's the worst habit I have with money.
    If we want it, jt goes in the trolley.
    I also shop out of habit and have no idea what's in the pantry or in the freezer and throw out far too much.
    It's a goal for this year, shop smarter but also healthier.
    Same here only we have 2 kids.
    Add to that dh also does grocery shops here and there so I have no idea how much we spend. One of my biggest cost is fruit for the kids.
    We also have coffees and eat out for lunch and sometimes dinner on weekends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
    It's definitely possible! Just did the shopping today. $20 at the fruit shop for all beg for dinners and fruit for lunches. $60 at Aldi and $20 at Safeway, so was actually under $120 this week, granted I didn't need to buy any cleaning stuff this week. This included all meat for meals, except for 3 chicken breasts as I have some in the freezer.
    What meat did u buy can I ask? Meat is a huge expense. Did u buy it from Aldi? What do u do for lunches & snacks?