+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I spend around $220 a week for a family of 5 including nappies and formula/wipes etc.

How do you get all that meat plus vegies, lunch food, snacks, cleaning and hygiene products for $120 a week?
    I was thinking the same thing. Its just not possible IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarylee View Post
    We spend around $250-$300 for a family of 5 and all big eaters..

I'm curious, to the people who spend a small amount, what do your meals consist of? I am so tight haha and go to the different shops to buy specials etc. but to feed my family veg and healthy foods at every meal it's so expensive. So do you sacrafice on some of the produce to keep the price down? Just trying to work out what I'm doing wrong 😊
    I was thinking the exact same thing! We are a family of 3, we rarely buy pre-packaged things. All home cooked healthy meals.

Generally shop for the specials that might mean going to Coles, woolies and Aldi.

Although I must admit we go through probably 4-5 avocados a week between the three of us and eat a lottt of produce (5-6 types of veg a day) but I seriously must be doing something wrong 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm on a mission. I'm going to keep every grocery receipt for a month and work out what it really costs us to live!

We already do some things to cut costs:

We have our own vegie patch, so over Summer I didn't need to buy lettuce, tomatoes, corn, beans or cucumbers at all. In Winter we will plant brocoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, peas, and brocolini.

Some of our produce I use to barter with some friends for their free range eggs. That saves us all money and disperses the goods so you don't have wastage.

I am going to start really planning meals and trying to stretch things out and create less waste. I have already started bulk buying to save money, buying within season, and trying our home branded items. I used to be such a label pig, but now I'm opening my mind to other brands

I reckon if I do all that, and bake/make more from scratch, I should be able to really cut our food budget way down from the $200 it currently sits at.

ETA: Another of my cheapo ideas was to advertise on my local Buy Swap Sell for excess produce. For example, I was making an orange cake and needed oranges, so I asked if anyone had an excess on their trees and got a great big bag for free! The same goes for lemons and apples in season. I find people really don't mind sharing and would rather do that than see the food rot on the ground.
    Last edited by Blossom74; 31-01-2016 at 12:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We eat plenty of fruit & veg, but use what's cheap and in season. So this week's meals that are planned so far:

Salmon, green beans and potato. Bought and froze the salmon at $20 a kilo. We'll have 100g each for the adults, a bit under 50g for the 3 year old and a tiny bit for the bub. Beans and potatoes were cheap (we get 5kg bags of spuds for $2).

Lentil, cucumber & feta salad. All cheap ingredients (Danish feta is regularly on special locally for $5 a kilo, though we usually pay more like 8). Cucumbers are often about $2-$2.50 a kilo from the cheapest grocers. Dunno how much they were this week as DO bought them.

Thai curry (sweet potato, broccoli and baby corn) with brown rice. Again, cheap ingredients.

Rice with kidney beans, veg (whatever's cheap...often zucchini, capsicum or broccoli) and sour cream.

Often our meals will be dinner for the family, plus leftovers for me and the kids the next day. We are lucky to live near a couple of very cheap grocers who sell the misshapen/b grade stuff that the supermarkets won't take. We rarely pay more than $1 a kilo for apples, or $2 a kilo for tomatoes. It's a combination of those prices and good planning though that keeps our costs low.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I meal plan ($150-200 week for 2 adults + 3 kids). Our snacks are on the expensive side - we usually eat lots of fruit, veggies & dip, nuts, & dried fruits. It would be cheaper to buy a crappy pack of biscuits, but I'd rather spend more on healthier snacks. For meals, we have a lot of veggies, small amount of grains, & small amount of protein. I usually use mince (& pad it out with grated veg or lentils), or cheaper cuts of chicken - eg, drumsticks were $3/kg this week. A small amount of chicken breast or thigh, or other meat if its on special. I rarely pay more than $10-12/kg for meat, a 'treat' meal would be UP TO about $12 or $13. I never buy organic. We have a lot of meat-free meals based around potato, chickpeas, lentils, cauliflower, etc. I buy fish or more expensive meats on special and freeze it. We have little to no pre-packaged foods in our shopping. I only buy seasonal veg/what is cheapest, but we eat a lot of whatever is cheap. I also have a veggie garden which helps a lot.

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I spend around $220 a week for a family of 5 including nappies and formula/wipes etc.

How do you get all that meat plus vegies, lunch food, snacks, cleaning and hygiene products for $120 a week?
    It's definitely possible! Just did the shopping today. $20 at the fruit shop for all beg for dinners and fruit for lunches. $60 at Aldi and $20 at Safeway, so was actually under $120 this week, granted I didn't need to buy any cleaning stuff this week. This included all meat for meals, except for 3 chicken breasts as I have some in the freezer.

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I also tend to stock up on things when on special, eg I buy about 6 packets of peckish rice crackers when they are on special for $1. I split the packet up and 1 packet will do a week of cracker snacks in DS lunch box. DS has sandwiches for lunch, I have vita crackers or leftovers and DH takes leftovers for his lunch.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
    It's definitely possible! Just did the shopping today. $20 at the fruit shop for all beg for dinners and fruit for lunches. $60 at Aldi and $20 at Safeway, so was actually under $120 this week, granted I didn't need to buy any cleaning stuff this week. This included all meat for meals, except for 3 chicken breasts as I have some in the freezer.
    Can I ask how much fruit and veg did you end up with? I couldn't only spend $20 on fruit and veggies for a whole week - even just buying from my local fruit shop and not organic we spend $100 a week easily

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (31-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Can I ask how much fruit and veg did you end up with? I couldn't only spend $20 on fruit and veggies for a whole week - even just buying from my local fruit shop and not organic we spend $100 a week easily
    Yes! There's now way I could get away with only spending $20 for a week of fruit and vege. We go through about 3kgs of apples a week which is over $10 alone (and that's farmers market prices!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yeah I would easily spend $60 a week on fruit and veg. I don't think that's excessive. A kilo of grapes $6. Strawberries 4. 2 Kilo of bananas $6 frozen blueberries for greek yogurt $5. Thats $21 and I would need a fruit top up. Then there is the vegies
    Last edited by delirium; 31-01-2016 at 14:08.