+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Snowman View Post
    I really struggle with those bss/mums groups etc. some of the stuff posted is so inappropriate. I work in a fairly controversial area of health (sexual health) and I hate it when someone asks about termination of pregnancy. They get so many awful answers, and I feel bound by my company policy to not engage in social media, so try not to engage in moral conversations.
    I feel you.

I'm a midwife and some of things that get posted are just absolute ****e.

I don't go anywhere near those sorts of groups - I'm a member of 2 BSS groups that have very strict rules on only posting BSS ads and nothing else and just stay away from everything else.

OP - if you can get any identifying details on the child/parent I would report to either DOCS or the police, otherwise I'd just ignore it and let it go.

Some people just don't like being told that they're in the wrong when they think they're doing the right thing.

It might be easier to stay away from these pages to avoid this sort of moral conflict.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to alliecat89 For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (29-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So you were blocked for pointing out its either a) a scam or b) this child's in desperate need of help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's no one's business but the parents involved. They were obviously after help but I think reporting them isn't up to you. I'd let them get on with it.

I'd be concerned too but it's none of my business. Stay out and get on with your own life, they'll work it out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by zoz View Post
    I think it's no one's business but the parents involved. They were obviously after help but I think reporting them isn't up to you. I'd let them get on with it.

I'd be concerned too but it's none of my business. Stay out and get on with your own life, they'll work it out.
    not good advice, why should someone ignore people who need help? this child is legally classified as at risk and there is obviously a reason the parent /s ARE NOT seeking help from charities etc

Thanks
    Reviews

Sure - so we just let all families of children at risk of neglect and abuse "just work it out" and "get on with it"?

What happens if they don't work it out?

Reporting doesn't automatically mean that the child/ren will be taken off them and it doesn't automatically mean that the parents are bad people or parents.

What it does is identify children that are at risk and supports can be put in place to help the parents be a better parent for the child and provide an appropriate environment for the child.

In this case that could be providing supports such as a case worker and local charities to provide short term food and shelter and look at getting them back onto their feet.

Presumably something major has happened that has resulted in this man needing to go through dumpsters looking for food, and it sounds like they need a lot of help and support to get back on their feet.

The daughter also has a right to a better life as well.

If the father is refusing to accept help or work with people to improve their living situation then unfortunately you would then need to look at placing the child with a family that can provide basic needs until her father is able to.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to alliecat89 For This Useful Post:

Californication  (29-01-2016),Frankenmum  (29-01-2016),Lincolns mummy  (29-01-2016),Mamasupial  (29-01-2016),Nemmi1987  (29-01-2016),sarahjane914  (30-01-2016),wobblermummy  (29-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi1987 View Post
    not good advice, why should someone ignore people who need help? this child is legally classified as at risk and there is obviously a reason the parent /s ARE NOT seeking help from charities etc
    Because whatever the situation I don't like getting involved in other people's business. Not bad advice at all. Everyone has an opinion and that is mine.

Getting involved in someone else's lives can make things worse belive it or not. They obviously know they are in a spot of bother that is why they are asking for help. The kid is still alive and people most likely donate. All they have to do is go to their local Vinnies. Getting authorities involved might just make them worse, they could only be going through a tough few weeks until their pay check. You don't know.

There's people doing it tough everywhere. People go through supermarket bins for thrown out stuff there was even a tv series about it. I personally don't but who cares, someone in the BSS has obviously helped them. People are doing it all the time on my local BSS page.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I agree with you however was wondering if they perhaps blocked you because you argued the point rather than expressed a one off concern?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by alliecat89 View Post
    Sure - so we just let all families of children at risk of neglect and abuse "just work it out" and "get on with it"?

What happens if they don't work it out?

Reporting doesn't automatically mean that the child/ren will be taken off them and it doesn't automatically mean that the parents are bad people or parents.

What it does is identify children that are at risk and supports can be put in place to help the parents be a better parent for the child and provide an appropriate environment for the child.

In this case that could be providing supports such as a case worker and local charities to provide short term food and shelter and look at getting them back onto their feet.

Presumably something major has happened that has resulted in this man needing to go through dumpsters looking for food, and it sounds like they need a lot of help and support to get back on their feet.

The daughter also has a right to a better life as well.

If the father is refusing to accept help or work with people to improve their living situation then unfortunately you would then need to look at placing the child with a family that can provide basic needs until her father is able to.
    If they don't work it out it's not your problem. Concentrate on your own life. That is my opinion. We can't all be do gooders. It doesn't work, they might not want help. The kid is not dead yet and they have obviously asked for help. It's no ones business but their own.

I just bloody hate people getting involved in other people's business it annoys the crap out of me. I will stay out of these posts from now on...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Because whatever the situation I don't like getting involved in other people's business. Not bad advice at all. Everyone has an opinion and that is mine.

Getting involved in someone else's lives can make things worse belive it or not. They obviously know they are in a spot of bother that is why they are asking for help. The kid is still alive and people most likely donate. All they have to do is go to their local Vinnies. Getting authorities involved might just make them worse, they could only be going through a tough few weeks until their pay check. You don't know.

There's people doing it tough everywhere. People go through supermarket bins for thrown out stuff there was even a tv series about it. I personally don't but who cares, someone in the BSS has obviously helped them. People are doing it all the time on my local BSS page.

the family are not able to provide BASICS for their child, they are not seeking apropriate ways to provide BASICS for their child

but sure why not, we should totally just but out of children at risk, far better for them to become neglected or abused ...

as above if someone working in childcare or drs etc was told this information about a child they were involved with it would be a mandatory report to cafs.

No I dont think people should but out or not care about child welfare

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nemmi1987 For This Useful Post:

sarahjane914  (30-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If they don't work it out it's not your problem. Concentrate on your own life. That is my opinion. We can't all be do gooders. It doesn't work, they might not want help. The kid is not dead yet and they have obviously asked for help. It's no ones business but their own.

I just bloody hate people getting involved in other people's business it annoys the crap out of me. I will stay out of these posts from now on...
    So "not dead yet" is the ultimate goal that we should be aiming for then.

So hypothetically it's fine to walk past a child getting bashed or raped, coz you know they're "not dead yet". It's okay.

As a mandatory reporter, I unfortunately don't get to concentrate on my own life.

They haven't asked for help - someone spotted them going through the bins and posted on their behalf.

If the man doesn't ask for help for himself - then that's his problem. He's an adult he can do what he want.

But the child needs someone to advocate for them and protect them. They're not getting a choice about asking for help or not and they are suffering from the consequences.

ALL children deserve to have their basic needs met.
    Last edited by alliecat89; 29-01-2016 at 20:10.

14. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to alliecat89 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (30-01-2016),BettyV  (30-01-2016),BettyW  (29-01-2016),BluePixie  (29-01-2016),Californication  (29-01-2016),Frankenmum  (29-01-2016),Kellbell85  (29-01-2016),LaDiDah  (29-01-2016),Lincolns mummy  (29-01-2016),mumma2noah  (29-01-2016),Nemmi1987  (29-01-2016),sarahjane914  (30-01-2016),SuperGranny  (01-02-2016),TheGooch  (29-01-2016),wobblermummy  (29-01-2016)