+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Seperation anxiety in new dog!!

Any experience/advice would be most welcome!!

We adopted a small dog from the shelter a couple of weeks ago. Everything has been going fine, EXCEPT when we leave the house. If we leave him inside, he destroys things! And if we leave him outside, he literally barks, whines and howls for almost the whole time we are out, which is going to drive the neighbours crazy. I haveto return to work soon, so I am really unsure what to do. I don't want to lock him in the laundry!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi @BlueberryCrumble

I would suggest two things - if you're going to leave him inside, treat him like you would a new puppy for now. Since he's a small dog, I would set up a puppy play pen for him. Pop some puppy pee pads down in there, his food and watter and some things for him to play with (like a kong stuffed with treats).

What do you have outside for him to do? You might find he's not suffering from separation anxiety as such, but boredom. "Brain games" (like puzzle toys) keep them entertained and tire them out much quicker than any form of exercise. The best one I have found is the Kong Wobbler. You can fill it with dog biscuits and it keeps my dog entertained every day. Hiding treat filled normal kongs around the yard for him to find is also a good trick.

I would have a chat to your neighbours and let them know you've just adopted a new dog and he's trying to settle in, so you want to apologise in advance for any excess noise he makes at the moment. Most neighbours are much more forgiving if they know the situation and know you are trying to sort it out. When we first moved into our new house, one of our dogs was jumping on the neighbours fence and barking (and he's a big dog, there was a risk the fence would come down!). We chatted to them about it and they were great. They now just call his name out over the fence if he barks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HillDweller For This Useful Post:

Blueberry Crumble  (29-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thankyou so much for your reply, that was all very helpful!!

I have been trying to leave him outside for short periods of time while we are home, and gradually building it up. The Kong is a great idea, I will def look into getting one.

I just hadto go out for 40 minutes. Im sure he yelped while I was gone, but when I came back home, I crept up quietly and peeked, and he was asleep on his bed outside! THat hasto be progression loL!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Blueberry Crumble For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (29-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry Crumble View Post

I just hadto go out for 40 minutes. Im sure he yelped while I was gone, but when I came back home, I crept up quietly and peeked, and he was asleep on his bed outside! THat hasto be progression loL!

Praise the shyte out of that stuff!
    Also, let your neighbours know that you're training a new dog and to let you know if he is yelping when you're gone. They get less irritated when they know you're working on the problem.
    When you leave the house don't make a big deal out of it, don't even say bye. Just leave. Go and hide somewhere out of sight and see how long it takes your dog to calm down, as soon as he does (and it may just be that is stopping for a drink), run in and praise the shyte out of him being quiet.

ETA - I skimmed the replies, so missed the neighbour comment

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Blueberry Crumble  (29-01-2016),HillDweller  (29-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry Crumble View Post
    Thankyou so much for your reply, that was all very helpful!!

I have been trying to leave him outside for short periods of time while we are home, and gradually building it up. The Kong is a great idea, I will def look into getting one.

No problem Haha, yep, you'll often find that they'll be barking when you leave and when you return, but wander off to amuse themselves while you're actually gone!

With some interesting things to do he will probably settle down. Nowadays, I give my dog his kong wobbler and another brain game and if I do try to say goodbye to him he gives me a look like "Yes, yes, whatever, just go, I've got stuff to do!"

Definitely good advice from Full House re not making a fuss when you leave too. I will put my dogs outside with their games (they can't entertain each other unfortunately because they are separated due to not enjoying each other's company!) and then I'll finish getting ready and just walk out the door. That's much less stressful for them. I'll do a similar thing when I get home. Walk in the door, do some stuff around the house for 10 minutes or so without really acknowledging them at all, then calmly walk over to the door and let them in. No fuss. It means that you going and coming home tends to be less of an exciting or stressful moment in their lives