+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm not sure if this was posted in this thread or somewhere else

http://www.swansea.ac.uk/media-centr...akeatnight.php

This is the gist
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1454063402.617968.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Desperately needing sleep advice!

I have a dream!..... That one day someone seeking advice on how to help their baby sleep better because they emotionally and physically have nothing more to give can receive advice without having their thread derailed by the parents on completely opposite ends of the sleep spectrum arguing over who is right and who is wrong.

This isn't my opinion, it is fact OP every baby and every family is different, there *may* be a way that you can improve your child's sleep if you choose to do so. Which method will work is anyone's guess but I second @hollygolightly84 s suggestion of thebabysleepsite.com they have so much information on there and they recognise how every baby and family is different and there is no one size fits all approach to sleep and settling. You can even purchase a sleep plan. You fill out a survey and tell them about your baby's personality, what their days are usually like, what the problem is, what you want to fix and what kind of parenting style you have etc and they come up with a plan tailored to your individual baby and something you as a parent feel comfortable with.

I'm also in Adelaide. If you are prepared for crying Dr Bryan Symonds is in Kensington. He isn't actually controlled crying he is cry it out. You can go on his website and make an appointment, you don't need a referral.

If that doesn't sound like its for you, a pp mentioned the paediatric sleep clinic (also in Kensington) I went to them for night weaning advice for my then 13/14 month old. They're on the more gentle side of sleep training if that's more for you.

So for the sake of the OP can everyone please pull their bloody heads in! I'm sick of this debate - start another thread if you want to argue.

ETA: oops just saw the last few posts, I didn't get that far in the thread before I got annoyed and posted the above, but OP I hope I've been helpful
    Last edited by A-Squared; 29-01-2016 at 20:44.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Mum of 2 munchkins  (06-02-2016),nh2489  (30-01-2016),TheGooch  (29-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    There might be some confusion as to what constitutes a sleep aid? Let me try and clarify.

1.Sitting in a room with your child until they fall asleep is still aiding them to sleep (it is not self settling). Hence the continued night wakings. That being said patting or sitting in a room with your child may still be a useful tool in encouraging self settling if it is used to wean from a stronger sleep aid (and where the use is slowly phased out).

2. If a child (without medical issues) is able to self settle mum or dad will be able to kiss them goodnight, pop them into bed, walk out and have the child fall asleep on their own. Without rocking, patting or sitting with them. If your child can fall asleep like this, is healthy (no medical issues) and is fully established on solids then the chances of then sleeping through is dramatically increased.

3. Unless there are medical/solids issues which the OP hasn't yet disclosed I have little doubt that bubs frequent waking is due to the way in which bub falls asleep.
    I realise I'm a bit behind the times now as it seems this thread now has 7+ pages lol, but I just wanted to respond to this before I read on.

I would consider putting my baby down and then not touching him or talking to him as pretty much self-settling. Even though I was in the room I did nothing, no sushing, patting etc. But alright, lets say me being in the room with him counts as a sleep aid and was therefore causing him to wake up. This went on for a few months and then he decided he wanted to be held all night and have a bottle at bedtime. When he did start sleeping through reliably every night, he was still falling asleep with that bottle in his mouth (I know, bad Mummy). But he slept through. Even now, he goes to sleep with music playing, it switches off after a while and he still manages to get a full nights sleep.

I just don't think that some babies sleep and some don't. My friend's daughter was able to be put down in her cot at 6 months old and just go to sleep without mum or dad even in the room, they would put her down, shut the door and leave. She was never sleep trained. That's just what she does. She's just a baby that sleeps. I hope I get one of those next time

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

Mum of 2 munchkins  (06-02-2016),Redcorset  (07-02-2016),TheGooch  (29-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Yes my kids have woken thru the night. It's called teething, nightmares, general upset behaviour as for the past 2 years dh and I have lived in different states. From the time my second was 2 weeks old I was doing bedtime myself as he was on night shifts. Dh also spent a stint in Afghanistan. My dds were told that their father would die by other children so we had to get over that fear.

Yes they wake early. It's normal for us Queenslanders. Sun is up early. I had to be at daycare at 6.10am so they got into a habit of 5/5.30am wake ups. I wake at 5am even now here in Canberra and head to the gym. Our house is a morning house. Sometimes they woke at 4am. It happens. You vent and get over it.

I am lately a bit stressed as I have PND - and about to be admitted to the Peri natal mental health clinic. I was being treated for AND last year as it was a stressful pregnancy with dh away. Plus then being left alone with 3 kids and one 10 days old. Then having to pack up and move with a 8wk old. BY YOURSELF!!

Tell me VP - would you last 1 week of my life of the past 2 years???

And for your information - I was trying to be supportive and say that waking is normal. We've been thru it and survived.

Way to go VP!
    I'm finally catching up on all of previous posts I had missed and just wanted to give you a big virtual hug. I read your posts and genuinely think you are a super mom, you really are doing a great job. I really admire your acceptance of your children's needs while still chugging along doing all you need to do in your situation. 💛

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Mum of 2 munchkins  (06-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by moto View Post

Now, at just 2, I can do her routine - dinner, bath, stories, song and put her in her cot. I count back from 10, patting her bum/rubbing her back. I give her lots of indication of what is happening next - so after stories I say 'I will sing one (or 2) twinkle twinkles then you go in your cot'. Then as I finish that I tell her that she is going in her cot and I will count once. Sometimes she asks for another song, or another count, but again I just say 'then I am leaving'. Now she quietly just goes to sleep by herself.

!
    I do something similar, lots of warning that he's about to go in the cot and go to sleep. After dinner, bath, stories, milk and teeth I turn out the light and cuddle him and sing a couple songs with him while mentioning that he's about to go 'night night in his cot.' Usually after a couple of minutes he points to his cot himself to indicate he's ready to lie down.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

moto  (30-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow! It's been a couple of days since I've last checked the threads on my post! It seems quite the emotive topic! Thank you to everyone for your advice and support. In my situation I was feeling that if all my little boy needed to get to sleep was to be held and stroke my arm then is it really so bad? The co sleeping has been working, he falls asleep quickly and peacefully, however we don't have a huge bed and my husband now spends half the night in the spare room! So not great! I'm hoping it's just a phase. I was just so over being told by child and youth to put him in the cot awake and pat him. After four hours of this it was myself crying too! I do think certain methods only work for certain children as they are so different. I've managed the last 2 years with only 3 hours sleep a night so I'm sure I can manage some more!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum of 2 munchkins For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (30-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum of 2 munchkins View Post
    Wow! It's been a couple of days since I've last checked the threads on my post! It seems quite the emotive topic! Thank you to everyone for your advice and support. In my situation I was feeling that if all my little boy needed to get to sleep was to be held and stroke my arm then is it really so bad? The co sleeping has been working, he falls asleep quickly and peacefully, however we don't have a huge bed and my husband now spends half the night in the spare room! So not great! I'm hoping it's just a phase. I was just so over being told by child and youth to put him in the cot awake and pat him. After four hours of this it was myself crying too! I do think certain methods only work for certain children as they are so different. I've managed the last 2 years with only 3 hours sleep a night so I'm sure I can manage some more!
    Ugh, patting! The amount of hours I spent patting while DS just looked at me like 'wtf are you doing lady?' But I kept trying because apparently, as said specifically in one book, if their patting technique wasn't working it was because I wasn't trying long enough or hard enough.

Does he have a bottle at all overnight? That was what ended up being my tool to stopping co-sleeping.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Ugh, patting! The amount of hours I spent patting while DS just looked at me like 'wtf are you doing lady?' But I kept trying because apparently, as said specifically in one book, if their patting technique wasn't working it was because I wasn't trying long enough or hard enough.

Does he have a bottle at all overnight? That was what ended up being my tool to stopping co-sleeping.
    Hahahahaha patting! I have heard 'mummy pat my bum' sooooooooo many times. I swear I have special 'bum patting' muscles in my arm that grew.

Cosleeping isn't bad. Honestly it gave everyone more sleep. And it does not last forever.

I do remember between the ages of 1-2 sleep got worse. I think it may have been teeth/developmental leaps. After about 2 he has settled down so much more.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (30-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found the only thing that worked with DS1 around that age was lying on the floor next to his cot and putting my arm in the cot so he could feel me next to him and he would drift back off to sleep...now DS1 is almost 4 and his bed has a trundle so i can sleep a bit more comfortably 😊. OP its tough having a child who wakes through the night and there is no magic potion but know this...you are not alone.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hello all

Mr 2year old sleep through from 7pm to 6pm in his cot. I know its the last thing you want to hear when you child is not sleeping. He didnt till 12months. He woke up every 2 hrs for a feed and in desperation we just put him in our bed. I was a walking zombie with mild pnd. We ended up going to the Ellen Baron centre for a week and learnt sleep training. The results were Amazing! We learnt how to comfort settle. Here some videos from the centre. It takes a few weeks but it is so so worth it. Hope it helps someone out there. Not sleeping is torture and my heart goes out to you all. Xx https://www.health.qld.gov.au/ellenbarronfamilycentre/html/vodcast.asp#comfort

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Qloulou For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (05-02-2016),Mum of 2 munchkins  (06-02-2016)