+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    @Stretched we just did the kindy parent info night last night and DS does THRASS as well ( they gave us the chart last night) and the 100 sight words , it sounds like a great programme - how do you find it? ( it's all totally new to us!)
    I have been teaching upper primary up until this year, so haven't used it as a teaching tool. I have done some PD on the program and have my criticisms. However it has a lot of fans in our teaching staff and, having not much direct experience with it I don't feel qualified to comment too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I am stunned that schools still do THRASS. We talked about it at a staff meeting earlier this year - our principal suggested there is almost no long term evidence to suggest that it's an effective program, especially compared to more recent phonics programs.

Really, as well, the sight words are the sight words, whichever way they are dressed up.
    That's interesting because the way it was presented to us made it sound like the be all and end all of literacy programs. The school (P-12 co-ed private independent school with 1 teacher to 15 students in the earlier grades plus aides) has had great success using THRASS but I have wondered if it has more to do with the small teacher to student ratios.

We're relocating interstate next year and will be in a capital city so I am very interested to see how all of these programs compare before I choose a school.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Once Upon a Time For This Useful Post:

babyla  (16-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I am stunned that schools still do THRASS. We talked about it at a staff meeting earlier this year - our principal suggested there is almost no long term evidence to suggest that it's an effective program, especially compared to more recent phonics programs.

Really, as well, the sight words are the sight words, whichever way they are dressed up.
    Yeah I agree it's pretty old school. And totally true about sight words too.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Yeah I agree it's pretty old school. And totally true about sight words too.
    We are going through resources to sell, and the principal said we wouldn't even be able to give all our THRASS stuff away since no one uses it anymore. I haven't seen it since before 2007 I don't think!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is in grade 2 this year and they are using the fry system. Never heard of it before. Last year the sight words were really random and most related to their reading group books.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    DD is in grade 2 this year and they are using the fry system. Never heard of it before. Last year the sight words were really random and most related to their reading group books.
    I think that sounds really good - authentic and contextualised so not random at all. Aight words used as just lists to learn I think are random, especially to kids but using words from their books is great.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

harvs  (16-02-2016),just her chameleon  (16-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I think that sounds really good - authentic and contextualised so not random at all. Aight words used as just lists to learn I think are random, especially to kids but using words from their books is great.
    Oh yes I agree. Perhaps random wasn't quite the right word.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Does anyone's School NOT use Magic100 in prep /Y1?

I'm in VIC an my DS started Prep this year.
    They do sight words, first 100, split into groups of 10.
    They must know the first 10 (yellow) before they move on to the next 10 (green), etc. His readers are then from words he's learnt. (Eg: he knows 1-10, and received a reader that works on one of those words)
    Last edited by Bumblebeez00; 16-02-2016 at 23:00.