+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Every teacher in every class should practice differentiation. It's simply catering to varying abilities and developing lessons where there are slightly different tasks for the students to hone in on their strengths and areas of need.

Yes it can be tough to do, but every good teacher does it and unis now are really pushing students to do it well.

I personally like composites. It can be a chance for higher functioning kids to be exposed to extension work and leadership tasks, for kids with various maturity to be with kids at their own stage.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (31-01-2016),Elijahs Mum  (31-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Spin off: Starting Primary School

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Just a quick question to the teachers - DS school doesn't have composite classes ( one of the other reasons we chose it) but they practice differentiation - it sounds good but is it hard to do with 19 kids in a class?
    Even in a straight class that isn't composite, there is a wide range of abilities.

Every teacher in Australia would differentiate. Well they should be anyway. No, it's not hard. Even in a class of 19 children, I would expect at least 3 different ability groups that the teacher would cater for. In a year 2 class you might have kids working at a year 4 level or beyond down to a year 1 or even kindy level so the teacher has to cater to these. In English this might be getting the bottom group to write a sentence independently, the middle group might write 3 sentences independently and the top group would be expected to write a paragraph independently. This is just an example.

In our K-2 classes there are 6-8 reading groups that change frequently as kids move up in reading ability.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (31-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    There are very few preschools attached to public schools here in NSW. Which I don't particularly like.

But...

My mind is boggling as to how this would work in regards to outcomes. And again, I'm only familiar with NSW but pretty sure with the national curriculum would have been implemented everywhere now??? But the first year of compulsory schooling are working towards outcomes from the syllabus. I just don't see how this can compare to the early years learning framework?

Composite classes are *usually* 2 classes from the same stage from the curriculum working towards the same outcomes. Eg. A year 1 and year 2 composite class are stage 1 and working towards stage 1 outcomes so making a class of year 1 and year 2 children isn't really a big deal.

But this just seems absurd???
    Thanks BigRedV. I should clarify that all the pre primaries in the split have all done 2.5 days kindy at the school. Kindy here was reasonably structured, although still very play based. My DS finished the year knowing 40 sight words and can do basic readers. So it feels a bit like they are returning for their second year rather than being brand new.

Obviously I'm a bit worried about how unsettled the kinders will be. I think they will split them up a bit between the teacher and the TA.