+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Spin off: Starting Primary School

There are very few preschools attached to public schools here in NSW. Which I don't particularly like.

But...

My mind is boggling as to how this would work in regards to outcomes. And again, I'm only familiar with NSW but pretty sure with the national curriculum would have been implemented everywhere now??? But the first year of compulsory schooling are working towards outcomes from the syllabus. I just don't see how this can compare to the early years learning framework?

Composite classes are *usually* 2 classes from the same stage from the curriculum working towards the same outcomes. Eg. A year 1 and year 2 composite class are stage 1 and working towards stage 1 outcomes so making a class of year 1 and year 2 children isn't really a big deal.

But this just seems absurd???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Maybe but it is really common here and friends of mine whose children have been in these classes have never had any issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Maybe but it is really common here and friends of mine whose children have been in these classes have never had any issues.
    Yet again I'm gobsmacked at how different it is across Australia

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    My ds isn't school aged yet but a mixed kindy/prep class wouldn't bother me. But then we are thinking of sending ds to a Montessori school which puts all the 3 year old kinder , 4 year old kinder and preps (first year of school) in the one class.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yet again I'm gobsmacked at how different it is across Australia
    Kind of makes a mockery of the national curriculum

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (30-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Indeed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, however, IMO the national curriculum is much better than the old NSW curriculum. English is much more fun and interesting to teach that is for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am a Teacher Aide in Qld who often works in the preppie rooms.

It's pretty rare to see little ones who are starting Prep not ready, life skills wise. I haven't personally seen one who cannot toilet themselves or open their own lunch box etc.

Emotionally, it is often quite different. Sure kids might cry/be upset for the first week or two, but preppies who still bawl their little eyes out every morning 6 months into their first year of schooling are definitely NOT ready.

Keeping them back in this instance is often better for them in the long run, rather than pushing them through purely because of their age.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cicho For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (31-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    WA didn't use the early years framework at that stage. Kindy (4yo part time) was very different to my Victorian experience of kindy/preschool as their curriculum was part of the WA Curriculum Framework and flowed really well into the first year of full time schooling.

Being part of school, it meant that kids who were ready could start 'real' schoolwork (DD was taking home readers in kindy as she started reading at 3.5. It also meant if you were more immature once you got to full time schooling no one got to worried about it as everyone was used to having kids at school from 3.5years old.

My school in WA was one of the first to implement the National Curriculum as the WA Curriculum was 'behind' from about grade 2 onwards. We took the change in curriculum very seriously and it annoys me coming to Vic and the department here have pretty much refused to take it on, modified it and now rewriting a completely new curriculum. Seriously, the Nat Curr is pretty good, stop spending money on making a new one and put more money into teachers/ed support staff!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a quick question to the teachers - DS school doesn't have composite classes ( one of the other reasons we chose it) but they practice differentiation - it sounds good but is it hard to do with 19 kids in a class?