+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDent View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with a kindy/pre primary split class?

My DS had a strong kindy year and is not one of the younger kids, yet is now doing pre primary in a split kindy class. I'm really concerned and wondering if I need to be? Because the kinders only do 2.5 days there will be 2 different lots of kindy kids coming and going! I'm worried about this being a bit disruptive?
    Sorry to bump my own post but just wondering if there was any teachers lurking this morning. Not feeling any better about it this morning 😓

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDent View Post
    Sorry to bump my own post but just wondering if there was any teachers lurking this morning. Not feeling any better about it this morning 😓
    I haven't taken this split class but my old school in WA would do this if numbers required. It wasn't problematic as the Kindy/PP years in that school was strongly play based with rotating activities. Also, I'm assuming in WA there is still a full time aide in Pre-Pri? This meant between the 2 of them they could split the kids so it didn't get repetitive for the Ps. There were charts on the wall about which kids were in which days and the kids adjusted too the difference very easily.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (30-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm not familiar with wa system but I assume in NSW that would mean that preschool students would be mixed with kids starting their first year of compulsory schooling. Is that right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I'm not familiar with wa system but I assume in NSW that would mean that preschool students would be mixed with kids starting their first year of compulsory schooling. Is that right?
    Yes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week

Default Spin off: Starting Primary School

My youngest starts kindy next week and is the only one out of my three to be in a straight kindy class.
    As I said, we're rural so that brings it's own unique differences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Yes.
    Ok, well no, I don't think I would be happy with that at all. Sorry.

Not sure about wa but in NSW, first year of compulsory schooling is much more demanding than preschool is. I just don't see how they can even do that

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (30-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Spin off: Starting Primary School

Not sure about wa but in NSW, first year of compulsory schooling is much more demanding than preschool is. I just don't see how they can even do that
    I tend to agree with you.

I have no problem with composite classes when they are logical and well thought out but in many primary schools in Perth they are only the result of over crowded classrooms. So one year you have one then the next you may not. It's sporadic and I never got comfortable with it.
    @ArthurDent from my experience what happens is the teacher basically splits the class in two and conducts two different teaching methods. The kindies do more learning based play and the preps do their normal work. Honestly I'd be less happy about it if I was a kindy parent than a prep parent as I'd worry my child was being pushed into learning.

Given how the teaching is conducted they tend to only put very experienced teachers in those classes.

Ask the teacher how they will work it.
    Last edited by Sonja; 30-01-2016 at 22:26.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Stretched  (30-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

I believe NSW is more like Vic (where I grew up and now teach). The early years in WA (where I started teaching and where DD attended Kindy, Pre-primary and started grade 1) are sooo different to Vic. I actually much prefer that part of their education system. The transition in to school is just so much less stressful over there as Kindy (part time 4yo) is part of school. IMO it is pretty hard to make a judgment on what would be happening in a split WA K/PP class based on what you are familiar with in a NSW Kindergarten class (again, I am of the understanding NSW first year of school is very similar to Vic).

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (30-01-2016),misskittyfantastico  (30-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Given how the teaching is conducted they tend to only put very experienced teachers in those classes.
    This is what I have seen. They wouldn't put a graduate into this type of split class but I've seen highly skilled teachers manage the split very well.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (30-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    I believe NSW is more like Vic (where I grew up and now teach). The early years in WA (where I started teaching and where DD attended Kindy, Pre-primary and started grade 1) are sooo different to Vic. I actually much prefer that part of their education system. The transition in to school is just so much less stressful over there as Kindy (part time 4yo) is part of school. IMO it is pretty hard to make a judgment on what would be happening in a split WA K/PP class based on what you are familiar with in a NSW Kindergarten class (again, I am of the understanding NSW first year of school is very similar to Vic).
    This is true. I had forgotten they don't have kindy at school in nsw and Victoria so it does make a difference.