+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Spin off: Starting Primary School

Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    The primary school we are zoned to says this.....Children are not required to attend school until they are six years old, but may be enrolled at a government primary school from the age of five. Schools may accept children immediately following their fifth birthday but it is not compulsory for them to do so. However as a minimum, schools shall enrol children aged five at the beginning of each school term.

Seems to contradict the SA policy of May cut off.

I'm confused now!
    We have a lot of attendance issues at my school and because children are not legally required to attend school until 6 years of age, we can't "report" them. It's so frustrating. We have 4.5 year olds who only attend school for 1 or 2 days a week but can't do anything until 6 and by then they've missed so much school they are so far behind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    We have a lot of attendance issues at my school and because children are not legally required to attend school until 6 years of age, we can't "report" them. It's so frustrating. We have 4.5 year olds who only attend school for 1 or 2 days a week but can't do anything until 6 and by then they've missed so much school they are so far behind.
    That's sad - so some parents are pretty much using you as free childminding when they need it before age 6

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    When was she born? Sounds like my DD. I don't think she will be terrified but she doesn't cope well with the boisterous boys who are older and bigger, but she's getting used to them at child care. She's been to 2 different centres now and she's encountered the same types of boys at both and probably will at kindy too, so she may figure out they're really just boys being buys and they don't purposely upset her.
    DD was born in August 2011.

I think in NSW you just have to start them in the year they turn 6, or earlier if appropriate for the child. Although if you start them earlier, that's when the cut-off comes in. DD couldn't start this year because they cut it off at kids turning 5 up until 31st July. If they turn 5 later than that, they have to wait for the next year. That's how I understood it but I didn't get into it too much, DD is definitely not ready yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    following, my son starts on tuesday, not sure hes ready as I still ave alot of concern with his behaviour but he has to go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Spin off: Starting Primary School

Does anyone have any experience with a kindy/pre primary split class?

My DS had a strong kindy year and is not one of the younger kids, yet is now doing pre primary in a split kindy class. I'm really concerned and wondering if I need to be? Because the kinders only do 2.5 days there will be 2 different lots of kindy kids coming and going! I'm worried about this being a bit disruptive?
    Last edited by ArthurDent; 29-01-2016 at 22:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDent View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with a kindy/pre primary split class?

My DS has a strong kindy year and is not one of the younger kids, yet is now doing pre primary in a split kindy class. I'm really concerned and wondering if I need to be? Because the kinders only do 2.5 days there will be 2 different lots of kindy kids coming and going! I'm worried about this being a bit disruptive?
    I'm in rural WA and my two older children were in a K/PP split because that's what there was!
    I don't think either of them has ever been in a straight class and they are going into years five and three.
    The teachers were always so good in ensuring that there was no added disruption but I suppose I/they don't know any different?
    My youngest has a straight kindy class and starts on Thursday.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (29-01-2016),GrabbyCrabby  (30-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ^ Thanks misskitty. I know it's silly to be worried, I just feel like the other kids are all moving on and my son kind of isn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDent View Post
    ^ Thanks misskitty. I know it's silly to be worried, I just feel like the other kids are all moving on and my son kind of isn't.
    I don't think it's silly at all to be concerned! This is your child!
    Talk to the teachers at every opportunity and be as involved as you can be.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (29-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I don't blame you for feeling that way. To be honest I'd feel the same too.

Just keep talking to the teacher. In my experience they often give some of the best teachers to those classes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (29-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Composite classes have become the norm at my children's school...through all year levels..In fact there is only 3 single year level classes in the school. There are PP/YR1 classes and 3 x yr5/6 classes. I don't know if it's a good thing but that's the way it is...