+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Low blood pressure?

Hi all.. 20, 27 weeks and a FTM...
    I have my own blood pressure machine (brought it for my husband) and I had it out today to check someone else's blood pressure.. I had my test for GD last week and a midwife appointment on the same day.. When she took my blood pressure it was low, but that was put down to having to fast for so long and the blood tests..
    Just to reassure myself of the latter I checked my own blood pressure today while I had the machine out.. It was 106 over 60... This made me worry a bit as I have been experiencing some lightheadedness and dizziness in the afternoons lately.. I've never been to the point of having to sit down or anything so I haven't really panicked too much, but paired with the low blood pressure I have some concerns..
    (I'll def be making a Drs appointment tomorrow)..
    I then had something to eat, continuing my day, and have taken it at various times throughout.. But they have all been around the 100 over 60.. I've just taken it again and it's still low (119/63)..
    I don't know what this could be or if it is a serious issue? I know it's not GD as I was cleared for that.. But it has me a bit worried.. Any suggestions?
    Bits..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi
    119/63 is perfect. What's your baseline? You may be low normally and when you stress and take your blood pressure over and over again it may have increased. 106/60 is slightly on the low side but not a problem unless you're having ongoing lightheadedness and dizziness or your normal BP is much higher. My BP is normally around 110/65 which is perfectly normal. Have you been drinking plenty of water? BP drops when you're dehydrated. Try not to stress about it, see if you can stop checking and just pay attention to your body. That's the best indicator.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The normal range I've been going on is around 120 over 80.. That is what it says in the booklet with the blood pressure machine and what my BP has been whenever I've been at Drs.. It may be lack of water as I don't drink enough in the first place but that hasn't really changed throughout the years and I've never had low BP before.. I'll be into the dr today or tomorrow so I'll talk to her about it.. Hopefully it's nothing serious... 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Low blood pressure?

My BP at my last two midwife appts has been 100/60 and 110/65. They sometimes make a comment that it's on the low side but it is always around there, was for my last pregnancy as well, so obviously normal for me. ☺️

Eta: I drink heaps of water as well

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are young, fit, healthy and pregnant, a BP which averages around 100/60 is certainly normal. Young people, such as yourself, can have BPs as low as 90 systolic (the 1st number), and be entirely normal/fine.

In later pregnancy (such as 27 weeks), the size of the pregnant uterus can put pressure on the vena cava (the main "return plumbing" to the heart), and therefore cause a lower-than-usual BP.

The issue, as PPs have mentioned, is whether you are symptomatic with this BP? Are you consistently dizzy/light-headed apon standing. Does your heart race? Do you feel unwell?

If the answer to these questions is no, or your symptoms are negligible, and you are drinking sufficient fluid during the day, then please don't worry. Put your BP machine back in the cupboard, and enjoy your pregnancy

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (28-01-2016),Happymum2  (28-01-2016),HollyGolightly81  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    My BP at my last two midwife appts has been 100/60 and 110/65. They sometimes make a comment that it's on the low side but it is always around there, was for my last pregnancy as well, so obviously normal for me. ☺️

Eta: I drink heaps of water as well
    Lol. My BP was consistently 90/60 thru the pregnancy bar 2 appt when it was 80/40. That raised an eyebrow.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    During a checkup a nurse took my BP twice and then called the doctor over to do it as she thought she was doing it wrong as it was so low! I've always had low BP and am perfectly healthy.