+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTC View Post
    What about your 15 minutes. Will you tell?
    Nope! ☺

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I liked the work, I'd probably say yes. My friend is a photographer and she uses our pics on her website/ Facebook and I have undie pics on here and a weight loss website!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

DaveTTC  (27-01-2016),Frankenmum  (27-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it were me I'd probably say no. If the photo is being sold to a stock images site well that's where the online news sites get a lot of their photos to accompany stories from. I wouldn't want to come across my family photo as the main photo to a news story...

I know it wouldn't bother some people and I can see how a lot of people would be fine with it, but I know it would make me uncomfortable.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (27-01-2016),Frankenmum  (27-01-2016),LoveLivesHere  (27-01-2016),Wise Enough  (27-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that's what concerns me the most - the total lack of control over how it is used. Like what if a far right wing nutty political group used it in their propoganda or something... No-one would know it was us, but I'd feel awful if it was used to push an agenda or advertise a product that I am morally opposed to.

I think I'll decline permission. I feel a bit bad saying no as she's a lovely lady and great photographer, but I just can't do it.

Thanks everyone for your input!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (27-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As I use stock images on a regular basis (I am a graphic designer) I would probably refuse. Regardless of whether faces are involved.

Your photos would be able to be used for ANYTHING. I mean, do you really want your family photos used for (potentially) things such as: haemorrhoid cream commercials, family violence campaigns, religious advertising, political advertising etc? Once on a stock library anything could happen to your photos, they might chop them up, delete a family member, apply retouching to make you look fatter/thinner/older etc. They could be used for something you find quite offensive.

Even if it were used for something relatively non-offensive (ie a holiday commercial), it would make me feel very awkward looking at my own copy of the photos etc.

That's just my point of view - I often think about the people in the stock photos I use at work and think they had no idea when they had their photo taken...

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (27-01-2016),MissMuppet  (28-01-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (27-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for sharing your POV @sunnygirl79 as someone who uses those images. It never even occurred to me about the images being manipulated...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Reminds me of that news story about the guy suing his wife when they had ugly children as she had had plastic surgery before meeting. He expected good looking kids and when they were ugly he said she must have been ugly. Horrible story.

But anyway they used pictures with it that weren't the family but it really seemed like it was. The woman was upset as she had agreed to the pics for some legit reason and signed away. But then they became stock and misused. She was a model now she's known as the woman who had ugly kids and her husband sued her. She lost a lot of work because of it.

Would you be ok if they attached it to an arrival about a father sexually abusing his children?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would probably allow it considering faces are not shown.

Actually as a child a school photographer used my individual photo for his advertising purposes without asking any permission from my family! This was back in the days before the Internet though.

It's your choice though OP, just do what makes you feel comfortable.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, didn't read properly. If it was an anyone can buy stock photo, no I wouldn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    Thanks for sharing your POV @sunnygirl79 as someone who uses those images. It never even occurred to me about the images being manipulated...
    Unfortunately it's pretty much open slather with stock photos. In any case I'd get a copy of the terms and conditions before releasing your photos for use in a stock library. There are rights managed photo libraries that have more rules and regulations about what the photos can be used for, but it's still a gamble IMO.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (28-01-2016)