+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd hate it for his wife to ever be faced with such traumatic decision.
    His basic lack of human compassion and understanding is actually pretty frightening. What a cold person.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (26-01-2016),GrabbyCrabby  (26-01-2016),Marshy68  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dealing with unpopular opinions *trigger warning*

I can't stand sanctimonious, ill informed (and completely impractical & unenforceable) opinions such as those - my tactic is to always be a bit cheeky and throw the whole conversation off course. Eg:

- "I think that in this country there's way too many uneducated people reliant on income from unrealistic, limited sources such as the mining industry, no offence but I think that if you're in such an industry, it should be mandatory to pay 50% of your income into your super as its so likely you'll find your self long term unemployed after a few years" (i don't actually believe this, but it's the type of thing I'm known to say when confronted with those kinds of discussions )

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (26-01-2016),BluePixie  (26-01-2016),CakeyMumma  (26-01-2016),gingermillie  (26-01-2016),KitiK  (26-01-2016),LaDiDah  (27-01-2016),Marshy68  (26-01-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (27-01-2016),TheGooch  (26-01-2016),Wise Enough  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post
    I can't stand sanctimonious, ill informed (and completely impractical & unenforceable) opinions such as those - my tactic is to always be a bit cheeky and throw the whole conversation off course. Eg:

- "I think that in this country there's way too many uneducated people reliant on income from unrealistic, limited sources such as the mining industry, no offence but I think that if you're in such an industry, it should be mandatory to pay 50% of your income into your super as its so likely you'll find your self long term unemployed after a few years" (i don't actually believe this, but it's the type of thing I'm known to say when confronted with those kinds of discussions )
    Thank you so much, your response gave me a giggle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I would cut that conversation short
    "Hey. While you are in my house I would prefer you not engage in conversation that would be offensive to a majority of the population, especially new mothers. Understood?"
    this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm always temped to reply whenever he's spouting about welfare and his other favourite unpopular opinion stopping immigration (all immigration to Australia). "If you don't like the country you were born into and aren't able to change it to suit you, then maybe you should leave."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Marshy68 For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post

and this.

did your dp say anything to take him down a few notches?

had the BIL been drinking?

honestly he sounds like a poorly educated, ignorant idiot.

the fact that he holds this opinion is by the by, we're all entitled to our own views.

the fact that he think it fit to open his mouth and spout such tripe is another issue altogether.

it would've taken every shred of self control not to lunge across the table and strangle him if it were me in your position!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Marshy68  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I've come across these sort of people plenty of times and have made comments like Vic or Hopeful have suggested. Many of those sort of people are quite hypocritical or have completely ridiculous reasoning behind their bigotry and I've tried to point that out.

The problem is, that in order for the penny to drop, a person has to a) have something between the ears b) have a general willingness to accept they don't have all the answers. Sadly these type of people fail both these points and you are either met with a vacant expression or they come back with an equally stupid/offensive/nonsensical come back.

Don't even waste your breath or energy on this idiot, you won't be able to change him.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (26-01-2016),gingermillie  (26-01-2016),Marshy68  (26-01-2016),turquoisecoast  (26-01-2016),~Marigold~  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I've come across these sort of people plenty of times and have made comments like Vic or Hopeful have suggested. Many of those sort of people are quite hypocritical or have completely ridiculous reasoning behind their bigotry and I've tried to point that out.

The problem is, that in order for the penny to drop, a person has to a) have something between the ears b) have a general willingness to accept they don't have all the answers. Sadly these type of people fail both these points and you are either met with a vacant expression or they come back with an equally stupid/offensive/nonsensical come back.

Don't even waste your breath or energy on this idiot, you won't be able to change him.
    Yep, it is the sad truth he will never change. I can't be bothere wasting my energy arguing with him because I will be the one who ends up upset.
    I'm lucky DP is on my side and not like this at all, but also recognises there is no arguing with him

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Your dp doesn't have to argue the point with bil but I do think he has some responsibility to put him in his place if he is saying things that are offensive to you and are likely to upset you. Your home should be your safe place. You don't need to have it invaded by di@kheads. Even if they are family. Especially in these early weeks of parenthood when you are particularly sensitive. X

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RedCreamingSoda For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (26-01-2016),KitiK  (26-01-2016),Marshy68  (26-01-2016),VicPark  (27-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    Your dp doesn't have to argue the point with bil but I do think he has some responsibility to put him in his place if he is saying things that are offensive to you and are likely to upset you. Your home should be your safe place. You don't need to have it invaded by di@kheads. Even if they are family. Especially in these early weeks of parenthood when you are particularly sensitive. X
    yep agree with this. it's your home and you have every right not to tolerate offensive guests.

arguing would've been pointless but he should've shut him down.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Marshy68  (26-01-2016)