+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 9mo separation anxiety affecting sleep

Hi all
    Can anyone pls advice me how to navigate through separation anxiety?!
    My baby who once self settled, had great day naps x2, and slept through the night is now not doing ANY of the above

It's stressful! I know there is a regression around 8-10months! I think we're In the thick of it

What do I do????
    She sleeps in the cot. But is now waking frequently to see if I'm there! I always settle her in the cot with double patting. But If I attempt to leave the room she's hysterical.

Advice?!

(Ps I'm not at all comfortable letting her cry it out!) any other tips??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We bedshared. Dd1 hit this regression shockingly!!! I mean omfg horrible. Then miraculously grew out of it at 9/10 mths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks!! Gives me hope to know they can just snap out of it!!
    It's been so sudden

Did your daughter then sleep in her cot after the regression and co sleeping??

QUOTE=Rose&Aurelia&Hannah;8388350]We bedshared. Dd1 hit this regression shockingly!!! I mean omfg horrible. Then miraculously grew out of it at 9/10 mths.[/QUOTE]

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Someday mama View Post
    Thanks!! Gives me hope to know they can just snap out of it!!
    It's been so sudden

Did your daughter then sleep in her cot after the regression and co sleeping??

QUOTE=Rose&Aurelia&Hannah;8388350]We bedshared. Dd1 hit this regression shockingly!!! I mean omfg horrible. Then miraculously grew out of it at 9/10 mths.
    [/QUOTE]

Yes she went back to her cot with no dramas. For our family bed sharing fixes all dramas/issues as in my head the policy is - whatever gets you the most sleep with the least amount of crying/bub being upset.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My son has done this at various times and then grows out of it as quickly as it starts. He's almost two now and I have found that accommodating the anxiety rather than getting frustrated (which is hard not to do sometimes) and leaving him to cry helps him get through it much faster.

When he was younger and doing this I would stay in there and sit next to the cot with my hand on him (he's never liked patting, I think it overstimulates him) and shoosh until he fell asleep or was happy for me to leave. I would then just gradually sit further from the cot until he was ok with me leaving while he was still awake. We did cosleep as well but not until his first wakeup in the night when I was going to bed as well.

He is now almost two and has been sleeping through the night, in his own cot, since about 17 months. He goes through phases of wanting me to come back in after I put him to bed and if I go in fairly quickly and just give him a quick cuddle he happily lies down and falls to sleep for the night ☺️. I've definitely learned that with him, just calmly responding to whatever his need is gets him to sleep faster than if I fight it or get frustrated.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (27-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well said holly

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (27-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep what @HollyGolightly81 said.

My DS was a terrible sleeper from day 1. We did cosleep (he was petrified of his cot since he was teeny - even now he hates being enclosed). We ended up with a mattress on the floor in the nursery. During sleep regressions I was there with him until they improved. He now sleeps through (he is 3 in March) and usually only needs me or DH lying down with him to fall asleep.