+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Tickle View Post
    I thought I was ready. Bought the uniform, the bag, the lunchbox.
    Held off on the booklist though. For some reason, I was apprehensive. So I thought I'd just wait until term started.

Sure enough, during a teacher meeting on Monday I discovered to my horror that the special education class I thought my child was starting in is actually a main****** prep class.

The classroom is large and bordered on one side by full length windows. Against those windows they've set up a small tent. Apparently, this is for my son to crawl into when "things get too much".

Which means he'll probably be in there all day as even I found all the clutter and eye level netting too much.

Then the teacher I'm talking to casually mentions that she's not his class teacher just his special ed teacher...for 45 minutes a day. Where's his class teacher? Oh, off somewhere...

My little boy won't be able to cope. His 4 year old senses will just implode with all the visual activity alone. And I'm no longer ready. I cannot fathom how I totally missed this. I sat down with the special ed team prior to enrolment, we went through everything, they went through his reports, there was no mention at all of a main****** class....

I feel I have failed. Utterly. We moved all this way so we could get the services he needed and it's just all fallen over somehow.

No fear of me crying on the first day.
    I've been at it since 4am.

What do I have to do?

No flippin' idea.
    Take copies every bit of a per work you have with anything about his needs on them up to the school. Get involved in the classroom as much as you.
    Bring your own soothing devices.
    Get appointment with all medical support to so up need plans.

Mega hugs

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (27-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DD will be hopefully going to the Christian independent school right across the street from us in 2020. To the best of my knowledge, at that school they provide everything (at least in junior primary) and charge a composite fee to cover those things (text book hire, educational materials, stationery and equipment, art and craft materials, photocopying, sunscreen, swimming for primary students, swimming carnival, sports day, excursions, and assemblies for special presentations). That's I think about $450 in Reception. Even though she has 4 years until she starts, reading how much everyone else is doing is getting me slightly stressed already about how or if I'll cope when the time comes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Zoz.
    Thanks Love.
    My boy is non verbal too.
    Yes, very nervous and devastated that, yet again, I've been given information that has turned out to be inaccurate.
    Will just pull myself together, put some makeup on and see what there is to be done. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Tickle View Post
    Thanks Zoz.
    Thanks Love.
    My boy is non verbal too.
    Yes, very nervous and devastated that, yet again, I've been given information that has turned out to be inaccurate.
    Will just pull myself together, put some makeup on and see what there is to be done. Thanks again.
    Big hugs is all! I hope it is all sorted and quickly for you and your DS...

Makes it so very hard when our kids are non verbal, the communication barrier is lost which completely scares me as they can't speak up on how they feel or what they want!

My DS probably won't be speaking or even walking by the time he starts full time school, I find it impossible to let him go...

Big hugs, I hope you csn get through today! xx
    Last edited by zoz; 27-01-2016 at 08:00.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zoz For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (16-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So my DD has two teachers who split the week. One teacher for Mon-Wed and the other Thu/Fri. Not sure how I feel about it, it's a new concept to me so find it a bit strange.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    So my DD has two teachers who split the week. One teacher for Mon-Wed and the other Thu/Fri. Not sure how I feel about it, it's a new concept to me so find it a bit strange.
    Dd1 had this the last 2 years. It actually worked really well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (27-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    Dd1 had this the last 2 years. It actually worked really well.
    That's good I guess my concern comes from it being a new concept for me. I just assumed they'd have a fulltime teacher. She's a good kid though so I don't think she'll have any issues with adjusting each week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD2 had this in year 3. It was okay until one teacher left on maternity leave and they couldn't find a permanent replacement for only 2 days a week. It meant a lot of disruption for the class with a series of temps.

Provided both teachers communicate well it shouldn't be too much of an issue. It can also be a bonus if each teacher has strengths in different areas because the kids can benefit from each strength.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had this too when at school. It worked brilliantly as both teachers taught slightly differently and had different strengths.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    OMG @Mrs Tickle

I hope it's just a simple (but awful) mistake and it all gets sorted out by the end of the day

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (16-02-2016)