+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mother/baby unit

Hi all,
    This is my first post. I have been reading thru for ages and have finally gotten the courage to post.
    Firstly, let me start with a little background. I have had depression and major anxiety for most of my life, but it has gradually gotten worst with each child, (i have a 7 yr old boy, 4 yr old girl and 5 month old boy).
    My baby boy has been a 'difficult' baby for the most part. And i am really struggling to cope.
    He doesnt sleep well and nurses to sleep most/ all of the time!
    Anyway, cut a long story short and get to the point of my post...
    I am thinking of admitting myself in to a mother baby unit. Can any of you who have been, tell me what to expect once there? Anything you could tell me about it would be great. Like how do i go about it for a start?
    TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think you should go to your GP and tell him how you have been feeling.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

NeitherHereNorThere  (26-01-2016)

TheGooch is online now Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm really sorry this is happening for you. Depression and anxiety can be so debilitating.
    Speak to your Dr or your child health nurse for sure. You may need a referral.
    Although I believe some you can self refer to. In Vic, I went to the O'Connell centre mainly for sleep issues but they don't call themselves a sleep school because they work on more than just sleep. They were great.
    I also spoke to queen Elizabeth centre but didn't go there because I got into O'Connell.
    Also do you have private health insurance ? Some are private.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    So a mother baby unit is the sleep school i have heard about from friends in the past or are they 2 different things?
    Sorry for all my questions, i just a bit afraid of taking the step to going into one, but if its the 'sleep school' it doesnt sound too daunting to me (if that makes sense)

I am in vic, and i dont have private health care.
    I have had the austin one mentioned to me by PANDA.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I just wanted to say congratulations on your courage. You have taken the first step and that is scary I know but wonderful.

I was very close to admitting myself to a mother baby unit but there isn't one close to where I live.

Where are you located? Perhaps some local hubbers can help you. I agree, a trusted GP would be a good place to start. Take care of yourself and hang in there. Many of us on here know how it feels to be struggling to cope. We are here if you need.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (26-01-2016),NeitherHereNorThere  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think there is a difference between a mother baby unit and sleep school. My understanding is a mother baby unit is often part of a hospital whereas a sleep school isn't always.

Sorry I'm probably being s bit vague its been years since I had to know about this. A hubber on here years ago had severe PND when her babies were tiny and was admitted to a mother baby unit in Brisbane which was part of a psych ward not only a sleep school.

I also agree you need to see a GP for a referral. Good luck.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

TheGooch is online now Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NeitherHereNorThere View Post
    So a mother baby unit is the sleep school i have heard about from friends in the past or are they 2 different things?
    Sorry for all my questions, i just a bit afraid of taking the step to going into one, but if its the 'sleep school' it doesnt sound too daunting to me (if that makes sense)

I am in vic, and i dont have private health care.
    I have had the austin one mentioned to me by PANDA.
    Sorry if I was vague. I don't want to give you the wrong info. Mum and Bub units aren't sleep schools. But some mum and Bub units work on sleep. So that can be a reason to go to them if that makes sense?
    O'Connell Family Centre (where I went) is part of the Mercy hospital. You get admitted as a public patient. Dads can go too which is why I was happy to get into that one. That may or may not be something that's important to you.
    Here is a snapshot of what they do
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1453788054.425964.jpg
    You need a referral. My child health nurse said she couldn't do it but I was working with a perinatal emotional health program who was able to refer me. Your GP could also refer you I think.
    Please call them and speak to them and if you want more information, I'm happy to help

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for replying everyone and all the info. I have an appt with my dr on Thursday, and i will discuss it with him. In the meantime, i will give a few places a call, and maybe even ring PANDA again. I think i can do it? i think it needs to be done.....

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NeitherHereNorThere For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (26-01-2016),TheGooch  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know a few people who've gone to the Austin and heard really good things.

Good luck, you're doing the right thing by reaching out!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

NeitherHereNorThere  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I looked into Masada sleep school. Like others said, some are sleep based, others are more family unit based, like how to parent. And some are psychiatric based I believe. You GP will know which is best for you.

Hang in there, I know it's hard. When my DD2 was that age she woke every hour and would take 45mins to settle. That left me 15mins to sleep before she woke again. I didn't have depression but if you looked at me sideways I would burst into tears. God it was so hard.

I didn't end up going in as I didn't have anyone to watch my 2yo (I'm a solo parent). But I did ask for help, my sister would drive 3hrs to come over on the weekend so I could get some sleep then. My DD still isn't a great sleeper, often up to her 3-5 times a night even though she's 2 now. But thankfully she's in a big girls bed and I can just lie next to her to settle her most nights.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

NeitherHereNorThere  (28-01-2016)