+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Costs of building a house

Can anyone tell me if there's a Way to work out an approx cost to build a house.
    I'd like to know So I can price land to purchase

It's to be our family home so I want it decent quality but also affordable

Any insights would be greatly apprecjated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Honestly it depends on the size, material and if it's a standard design or architecturally designed!
    I've had clients pay from $400,000- $1.2 for new homes - the "average" say for a standard Masterson style home here in Sydney is roughly around $400k - just make sure you get the total costs from the builders , you see some being advertised really cheap but they don't include landscaping , fencing and a lot of needed extras like blinds etc and can add tens of of thousands to the price

Thanks
    Reviews
    Varies greatly. I think ours was just shy of $1500 a square metre inc pool turf fencing etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Subbing to reply later

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

It really depends who you build with, where you build and the type of build.
    Where I am it can be anywhere from $1000 to $2000 per square metre depending on the type of build it is. Really quite basic homes from a large project builder might be around $1000 to $1200 per square metre just for a home with standard inclusions.
    Once you option things up or add more features, upgrades or have BAL rating or increased costs for the slab, depending on soil, it can end up between $1500-$2000.
    This is in a regional area though.
    Ours was just over $1500 a square metre but we had fees for delivering out of town, BAL, increased slab height due to flood potential.
    There wasn't a lot upgraded in our place except floor coverings (timber and upgraded carpet) and a few things in the kitchen and ceiling height. Everything else is standard.
    Last edited by TheGooch; 26-01-2016 at 14:37.

Thanks
    Reviews

Cost us $200k to build our 4 bed 2 garage 2 bath single story house with adenbrook. We took out a lot of things like flooring. I found taking stuff like that out and organising for it to be done myself was nearly half the price. We did our own concreting patio, driveway, flooring tiles and carpet (except the bathrooms), did our own kitchen splash back etc. So on top of that $200k we added around $40k for a complete house, fencing, turfing etc. Our house is 240 sqm in Brisbane 600sqm block area built about 3 years ago.
    Last edited by shelby27; 26-01-2016 at 14:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our house will be about $240k, for a 4 bed, 2 bath, media & study & activity room & HSTP

Then we need to factor in site works, water tank & BAL the total will be about $280k.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jump into a builders website (eg Plantation Homes) and see the price of the type of house you want and then add $50-$100K (to cover changes you may want, fencing, landscaping, potential ground works, etc). Add another $30K if you want a pool.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I built a 350m2 house with all the trimmings for $400K plus another $75K for fencing, earthworks, landscaping, window coverings, etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone