+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I hate Aldi. I find it depressing for some reason. That said I do buy some things there for $$ reasons. Their dairy is very good and comparable to the big brands. Their organic milk is actually ok but I don't like homogenised milk so will only buy it if I don't have time to drive over to my usual milk (it's the only thing I buy at Supabarn).

The fresh produce at our 2 nearest Aldi's is shocking so I don't bother. We go to a market instead. At first the grass fed beef was very good (according to DH - I'm vego). But about 7-8 months ago they have clearly started stocking 'old' beef. DH says it is tough and the flavour is too aged.

The specials each week are definitely worth keeping an eye on. Some of it is just rubbish. But I did pick up 100% merino wool hoodies for DS when we first moved to Canberra for just $14.99 each. They were great for our first winter and he has outgrown them rather than outworn them.

I definitely don't know how people do their entire weekly shop there.

Off topic but as far as people managing to feed a family of 4 on $150 (or thereabouts) a week. Wow just wow. I am in awe of your budgeting skills - feel free to throw some my way 😄

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    I hate Aldi. I find it depressing for some reason. That said I do buy some things there for $$ reasons.
    Do you know what, I actually agree, I don't shop there all the time but do pick up a few things when I'm broke, so I'm usually already in a depressed, stressy headspace when I wander through their doors.
    Definitely couldn't do a full weeks shop there, either.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also tried to love Aldi when I moved back to Melbourne. After trying it and being more disappointed than thrilled I started a thread here asking what items people swear by. Mostly it was things I don't use/buy (many cleaning products), things I had tried and the family didn't like (cheese, yoghurt, meat, fruit, cereal, biscuits), things I could get just as cheap at the big 2 (flour, sugar, butter) or things I did use but had flavour enhancers (pasta sauce, stocks, crackers).

There are a few things that were great and super value however there is no such thing as "quickly ducking in to Aldi to grab a few things". The layout, plus the checkout system, plus the fact that I always waste 15 minutes rifling through a messy pile of ski gear looking for size 7 ski pants only to keep finding snowboard pants (or whatever that week's thing us) just to try to save a few dollars.

If they had self serve or express checkouts I would probably go in just to get t he few good things.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (26-01-2016),BettyW  (28-01-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am not organised so will do multiple shops throughout the week as needed. Where I go have a woollies and aldi so I tend to shop at both.
    I really like aldi though. Some of the fresh fruit and veg is same quality as woollies but cheaper. Other stuff I buy are cleaning products, cheese, eggs, shapes biscuits, dried apricots, chocolates, sultanas in small packs, frozen party pies, frozen salmon.
    And I love the special buys too!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (27-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Has anyone bought the mini Aldi brown rice cakes that are being advertised? They look good for DS lunchbox but I just want to check the ingredients - Or next time you are in there can you take a photo of the ingredients list - I can't find the info on line and post it for me please 😄

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (30-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love ALDI. I also love packing my own bags. To be honest my shopping experience at ALDI is MUCH FASTER than shopping at Coles or Woolworths and quite often the staff at Coles or Woolworths have no idea how to pack stuff (and I mean commons sense as in putting all the cold stuff together).

It's a lot cheaper. It reduces my shopping bill by at LEAST $100 a week. That may not seem like much but over the course of a year that's $5000!! I think the ALDI food for the most part tastes great... if there's something I don't like.. I get it at Coles. For example, I don't like their bread so I buy that at Coles. I do a shop where there's ALDI and a Coles right next to it. I don't know if I could be bothered if they were in separate places......

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Has anyone bought the mini Aldi brown rice cakes that are being advertised? They look good for DS lunchbox but I just want to check the ingredients - Or next time you are in there can you take a photo of the ingredients list - I can't find the info on line and post it for me please 😄
    I love their normal rice & corn cakes. There is nothing else added!

Eta. I'll check for you tomorrow if I remember.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (30-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Are they the ones with 3 flavours? I've heard two are nice but one is soooo salty that it's inedible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think so - there was just an ad on TV And it's hard to find mini brown rice cakes - Id be skeptical if they are flavoured ones as they would have to have additives in them and yes the salt content would be interesting to see - it's really annoying they don't put their nutritional info of their products on their website !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    I love ALDI. I also love packing my own bags. To be honest my shopping experience at ALDI is MUCH FASTER than shopping at Coles or Woolworths and quite often the staff at Coles or Woolworths have no idea how to pack stuff (and I mean commons sense as in putting all the cold stuff together).

It's a lot cheaper. It reduces my shopping bill by at LEAST $100 a week. That may not seem like much but over the course of a year that's $5000!! I think the ALDI food for the most part tastes great... if there's something I don't like.. I get it at Coles. For example, I don't like their bread so I buy that at Coles. I do a shop where there's ALDI and a Coles right next to it. I don't know if I could be bothered if they were in separate places......
    $100 a week is a Huge saving, hell I get excited every dollar I save! 😂 Aldi opens 2 mins from me on Wed, I am dying from excitement from the thought of saving money on food its such a massive expense