+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I love aldi. For me aldi is all about a rhythm - knowing what you like there and having a flow to how you shop there. I do one week at aldi, one week at Coles. I have it to a fine art and rarely get caught out running out of something from the opposite store I'm shopping at that week. Aldi saves us a bomb, no doubt, and is the reason our average food bill is reasonably low for a family of four.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love the special buys at Aldi but hate when you by something you have been desperate for then somethings similar is in Aldi the next week!

I've been waiting for ages for the baby sleep bags to come out again, couldn't wait any longer so had to get gro bag ones, now there bloody out in Aldi! They are great sleeping bags and wash up well and only have the zip down the front 😄

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    This is why I struggle to do a grocery shop at Aldi...the salt content in a lot of their products is really high (or was the last time I checked).
    Agree, I've only ever been once and wasn't a fan, we don't buy many packet items so I knew the likelyhood of them being any good was slim - it's just annoying how they can get away with claiming they are nutritious , yes they don't use artificial colours but they do use preservatives and natural colours and unreasonable amounts of salt and msg which are just as bad if not worse

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't really get why Aldi should be held at a higher standard than any other supermarket though? They all use the same marketing techniques.
    We buy the rice cakes- I make almost everything from scratch in DS's lunchbox and he might have a packet of those rice cakes *maybe* once a week, if that. I figure anything packaged is going to be pretty 'bad', and I CBFed reading labels on everything- I just mainly make my own stuff and then don't lose sleep if once in a while my kids eat something processed and salt laden.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (01-02-2016),Emma 80  (31-01-2016),lilypily  (31-01-2016),moto  (01-02-2016),Wise Enough  (01-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell me about Aldi

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I don't really get why Aldi should be held at a higher standard than any other supermarket though? They all use the same marketing techniques.
    We buy the rice cakes- I make almost everything from scratch in DS's lunchbox and he might have a packet of those rice cakes *maybe* once a week, if that. I figure anything packaged is going to be pretty 'bad', and I CBFed reading labels on everything- I just mainly make my own stuff and then don't lose sleep if once in a while my kids eat something processed and salt laden.
    It shouldn't , but this thread and the tv ad made me look at it again to see if I was missing something - I try to avoid coles and woolies as well but at least they have a wider variety and a good range of organic and additive free things like rice cakes, Aldi was just cheaper so I thought I'd investigate! I know a lot of people don't read labels and I wish all these companies would not be able to put such false claims on foods aimed at kids
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 31-01-2016 at 20:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    It shouldn't , but this thread and the tv ad made me look at it again to see if I was missing something - I try to avoid coles and woolies as well but at least they have a wider variety and a good range of organic and additive free things like rice cakes, Aldi was just cheaper so I thought I'd investigate! I know a lot of people don't read labels and I wish all these companies would not be able to put such false claims on foods aimed at kids
    I think like anywhere u shop its a matter of checking ingredients and making smart choices. I mean I don't buy a lot of pacakged foods anyway...but keen to try Aldi anyway and just be selective

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (01-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I was meaning things like lentils, chickpeas, tinned tomatoes...not packet food (but I understand that I didn't make that clear). I don't want those things to be salt laden, and they're not at Coles and Woolworths.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell me about Aldi

Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I was meaning things like lentils, chickpeas, tinned tomatoes...not packet food (but I understand that I didn't make that clear). I don't want those things to be salt laden, and they're not at Coles and Woolworths.
    Ohhh yes that makes sense. I hate their tinned tomatoes and only buy their passata which doesn't have any added salt, and I usually buy dried legumes so can't comment on their tinned ones. I generally try to avoid tinned foods altogether where I can.
    Last edited by FearlessLeader; 31-01-2016 at 23:16.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Full House  (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What foods should we stay clear of?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    What foods should we stay clear of?
    Well I think it's a fairly personal and subjective question, but I don't like their peanut butter, tinned tomatoes, yogurt, cat food (our cat is way fussier than any of the humans in the house, lol), any of their toiletries or cleaning products (just because I prefer as natural as possible for those things)
    I do buy their own brand wheat bix, oats, nappies, various sauces (soy, Worcester, etc), dried legumes, dried fruits, nuts (loads cheaper than supermarkets), dried herbs and spices, coconut milk, pasta, rice and couscous, rice cakes, most dairy (milk, sour cream, cream and lots of cheese) and all our fresh produce. Some people on this thread have said that the fresh produce isn't so great at their local Aldi but mine is usually good/great. Every now and then I bypass one or two things but on the whole it's no different to the major chains. Not nearly enough variety though! And I don't like how some things are always prepackaged, so for eg you can't buy 2 or 3 peaches you have to buy a kilo.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Nafsika  (01-02-2016)