+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My daughter's eczema, what eventually worked...!

Hello! I am so happy that we are starting to see the light after years of eczema, I just want to share it with everyone. I had two girls with eczema. I found it very hard to control eczema on my second daughter, she is now 4 and we could only see some minor improvements sometimes, but usually only a struggle between bad eczema and terrible eczema and exceptionally mild eczema... (and of course we tried so many creams, you can't imagine!). The other day I was going through all these half-empty tubes of cream, hoping to make some room in the bathroom. I happened to find an old pack of Sudocrem, which I would in the past use sometimes for nappy rash. I was surprised to read that it can also be used for eczema. So I tried on my daugther. And it was instant success! Even better than these cortisone creams which I would only use in the worst cases. Now I don't use any other cream. Only Sudocrem twice a day. For the first time in her life, my daughter is eczema-free. \o/ (I would have never thought of Sudocrem for that!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's great! Can you please be a little more specific about how you use the sudocream. It's so thick and white that I'm not sure how it would go on. Where do you use it? All over? Thinly applied? Does the texture bother your daughter? X

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is the zinc in the sudocreme which works well. However I do find with my own excema that something will work wonderfully for a period of time, then my skin kind of "gets used to" whatever treatment I'm doing at the time, and I have to switch to something else. So I'm always alternating my lotions and potions. That is on top of managing my diet as this is also a contributing factor. I notice that you don't mention diet as a way of controlling excema OP, have you looked at it from this aspect too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello! Sorry I didn't think of checking the answers here before...

BluePixie: I wish I could try diets with the children, but their dad is really not convinced by all my food experiments and he's making things hard (you know...). For instance, for our first daughter, she had some mild eczema all of her first years. We could control it more or less with moisturisers, it really wasn't as bad as with her little sister now. At some point, just before she turned five and because she had other issues (bowel...), I decided to stop cow milk. We used non-dairy milk for a few months and my daughter's eczema disappeared totally. After a while we introduced cow milk again (dh being quite insistent), and fortunately the eczema didn't come back. So I am not 100% sure it was related to cow milk for her, but I think so. The little sister on the other hand never drinks milk or eat yoghurt (she doesn't like it), so I am pretty sure it's not related for her. But yes it's true that some diet changes could improve things. It's just way too hard to manage my husband's childness on top of my other three real children... :/

RedCreamingSoda: I use Sudocrem on her legs (mostly the back of her legs, lightly all over and thickly behind the knees, which is where she gets very bad eczema), on her arms (mostly the forearm, thickly on the inside of the elbows [if that makes sense?]), on the back of her neck, sometimes on her tummy or, well, all over the chest and back if she is really dry everywhere (great moisturiser!). Where there is a big rash, I would massage in a bit of sudocream, do the other parts where I put some sudocrem and then come back to the big rash to add some more sudocrem. Yes, she is definitely white in her usual eczema-spots when I am done, but it's lucky it's not on her face for examplle (it might not please her or her siblings if she looked like a ghost!). Yes it's thick and it's not the usual moisturiser consistence, so it doesn't feel quite right to apply it, but it's just a matter of trying and getting used to it. I read that it's quite natural and gentle, so I could use as much as I wanted, which is good. And my daughter likes the feeling of it actually, it's fresh, it doesn't make it hot and itchy as some greasy moisturisers do (now she tells me: not the itchy creams, I want the white cream).

And well, so far so good.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nanouk For This Useful Post:

BluePixie  (29-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi , I just have a question- does sudocream also work for HFM? my toddler has HFM and was prescribed but it doesnt seem to work!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following up... 9 months later, it still is a great cream which got rid of my daughter's eczema! We still use it twice a day and she never has the bad eczema rash she used to have before.

(and Mally124: no idea, sorry)