+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    A few years ago now but we renovated a bathroom.
    Our budget was 10 and we ended up coming in below at 8600
    What did you have done and did you do any of it yourself?

Dh doesn't agree with me that's it's a good idea to get rid of our stupidly shaped and small walk through wardrobe to make the bathroom bigger by 1m. The job does require a builder, moving the shower plumbing that 1m, the shower head to another wall and centering the light/fan. We can do the demo ourselves. We dont want floor to ceiling tiles (only in the shower up to the height of the glass screen). Once the plumbing and tiles are done we are happy to fit the vanity and tap ware ourselves. In all it would be around 1.8mx3m.

How long after the tiling is done is a shower ready to be used? We would have to look at hiring a portable shower.

If you plan well and your tradies are reliable, how long would it normally take?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post

Dh doesn't agree with me that's it's a good idea to get rid of our stupidly shaped and small walk through wardrobe to make the bathroom bigger by 1m. The job does require a builder, moving the shower plumbing that 1m, the shower head to another wall and centering the light/fan. We can do the demo ourselves. We dont want floor to ceiling tiles (only in the shower up to the height of the glass screen). Once the plumbing and tiles are done we are happy to fit the vanity and tap ware ourselves. In all it would be around 1.8mx3m.

How long after the tiling is done is a shower ready to be used? We would have to look at hiring a portable shower.

If you plan well and your tradies are reliable, how long would it normally take?
    Make sure you do your research as they have changed the laws in recent years regarding what plumbing you can do yourself. I did all the tapware and vanity easy-hookers/pvc drain connection on a bathroom facelift 15+ years ago but looking into it now you can change a washer and not much more!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Ngaiz  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Make sure you do your research as they have changed the laws in recent years regarding what plumbing you can do yourself. I did all the tapware and vanity easy-hookers/pvc drain connection on a bathroom facelift 15+ years ago but looking into it now you can change a washer and not much more!
    Thank you for that. I just checked the Qld laws and installing new items (basins/toilets) apppears to be notifiable but not replacing old for new where no plumbing has been moved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post

We didnt do any ourselves.
    Hired a guy to do the demo he got all tiles off, vanity & bath/shower out & removed all the rubbish from the site so it was ready to waterproof.

Plumber moved the fixtures for the toilet over and added in taps for a washing machine as it ended up being a bathroom/laundry. Kept shower taps & vanity in same spot.

Tiler did waterproofing & tiling/grouting.

Glass guy can to put in shower screen and cut hole in window for exhaust fan.

Then plumber back to install toilet, vanity, mirror, showerhead & tapware.

Took about 3wks all up but we werent in a rush as had inlaws house 10mins away to stay at as they were on a cruise

Thanks
    Reviews
    chiseling tiles off of our walls brings back fond memories of looking like i had been set upon by a whole neighbourhood of feral cats...i had scratches and blood all over my hands, faces and legs from flying bits of sharp/chipped ceramic...on virtually any part of my body that was exposed or only covered in thin material (aka clothes)...

i already had the power disconnected so it was reasonably dark where i was working, and my dw managed to scare the absolte BAJEEBERS out of me...
    this happened because i quiet literally had to use an angle grinder on the old cast iron bath tub to remove the drain pipe (it couldnt be accessed any other way), she was using a torch in the room adjacent which came through the flooring into the bathroom because it was a raised platform house...the shadowed, hazy yellow light meant one thing to me!...i had set fire to something under the house(even tho i was being extremely cautious)...

and that was it! TOOLS DOWN, I MADE A B-LINE FOR THE WIFE TO GET HER OUT...and then i see her with a dull yellow torch, pointed at the floor boards towards the bathroom... her eyes were wide open ...looking at me, shocked at how surprised she was to see me able to move like a gazelle(of sorts)...

...and her response was 'ahhhhhhahahah GOTCHA'...

anyway, long story short...doing your own plumbing is now as strict as electrical work (u can virtually play with anything electrical aslong as it is not hardwired...eg, plug and play-even the lead ends from bunnings come with instructions on how to wire your own extension cord) i managed to legally wire up my entire patio with fluro lighting because i put a plug on the end of the cable, instead of hard wiring it to a switch. its much the same with plumbing, ur allowed to turn off ur mains to change a washer, and u can drag the hose around the garden, but thats about it unless ur qualified.
    Last edited by turtl3; 27-01-2016 at 01:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Reviving this thread. Any recommendations for where to source fittings? Specifically quality tapwear?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by inner hippy View Post
    Reviving this thread. Any recommendations for where to source fittings? Specifically quality tapwear?
    Reece plumbing or Bunnings....I vote Reece though

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nafsika For This Useful Post:

inner hippy  (26-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Depends on your budget really.

Try this site:

http://www.mdfinishings.com.au

11. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

inner hippy  (26-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsChino View Post
    We want to re-do our upstairs luxury pedestal sink for bathroom in the near future and have read so many different things about what it is likely to cost. We are getting a couple of quotes next week, but would love to have an idea of what people think is a reasonable amount to pay.

To give you a bit more info, it is a standard sized bathroom and separate toilet, and everything would need to be ripped out and replaced (including removal of asbestos walls). We are looking at standard fittings and tiles (i.e. not luxury brands/custom made etc) and we would keep the existing layout (no changes to plumbing/electricity).

Neither DH nor I are remotely handy, so we would be paying for the whole lot to be done by professionals. So hit me! What did you spend on your bathroom reno? Any other helpful tips, ideas or things we should think about, bearing in mind we are renovation novices?!

Hi
    Just go with the professionals to get the best renovations.