+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cost of bathroom renovation??

We want to re-do our upstairs bathroom in the near future and have read so many different things about what it is likely to cost. We are getting a couple of quotes next week, but would love to have an idea of what people think is a reasonable amount to pay.

To give you a bit more info, it is a standard sized bathroom and separate toilet, and everything would need to be ripped out and replaced (including removal of asbestos walls). We are looking at standard fittings and tiles (i.e. not luxury brands/custom made etc) and we would keep the existing layout (no changes to plumbing/electricity).

Neither DH nor I are remotely handy, so we would be paying for the whole lot to be done by professionals. So hit me! What did you spend on your bathroom reno? Any other helpful tips, ideas or things we should think about, bearing in mind we are renovation novices?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think ours was about 16K. No asbestos removal for us but I think that costs more.

When getting quotes ensure there is a breakdown of what everything costs as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Cost of bathroom renovation??

Hi, how exciting, I love a good renovation!

You'll be saving a lot of money by not needing to move any plumbing!

I would recommend firstly getting the asbestos removal quote as that will be your largest cost. They can also tell you what they have to do to make it safe and you can see what is left to do by way of gutting it.

I'd recommend gutting it yourself once the asbestos has been safely removed. What age is the bathroom? If it's 50s/60s and you have an iron bath, call a scrap metal guy to come and buy it and take it off your hands (those things weigh a tonne - almost literally!) and if anything else is usable try and sell things on gumtree or your local bss Facebook page.

If you can remove any tiles etc yourself, hire a jackhammer to help especially if it's an older bathroom as they made bathrooms much sturdier back then and the tiles can be a b*tch to remove by hand.

I would also look at gumtree or other discount / warehouse bathroom places for sinks, baths and tiles.

Framed and semi framed showers are cheaper than frameless.

I would try and also avoid getting a bathroom renovation place or a Beaumont tiles type place to do the entire bathroom or you will pay an arm and a leg. So source your own tiler, shower screen installer and plumber. Try and find a tiler who also does the screeding and waterproofing so you avoid managing too many trades.
    Last edited by A-Squared; 25-01-2016 at 12:31.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    I think ours was about 16K. No asbestos removal for us but I think that costs more.

When getting quotes ensure there is a breakdown of what everything costs as well.
    This is really expensive in my eyes OP. @twinklify was that for a basic spec bathroom or did you spec it up?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @twinklify that's good to know. I'll make sure we get itemised quotes too.

That's really helpful too @A-Squared! There's a discount warehouse type place not too far from us, so I might see what we can buy there and save some $$. It's a 1971 original build, and sadly nothing is salvageable or even sellable! It's in pretty bad condition all round, from cracking tiles to falling apart fittings. Not to mention it is seeeeeeriously ugly. I'm talking brown peacock tiles and a 'dressing room' kind of mirror that has lightbulbs all around it - hideous! I can't wait to have a modern, clean, functional bathroom!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsChino View Post
    Thanks @twinklify that's good to know. I'll make sure we get itemised quotes too.

That's really helpful too @A-Squared! There's a discount warehouse type place not too far from us, so I might see what we can buy there and save some $$. It's a 1971 original build, and sadly nothing is salvageable or even sellable! It's in pretty bad condition all round, from cracking tiles to falling apart fittings. Not to mention it is seeeeeeriously ugly. I'm talking brown peacock tiles and a 'dressing room' kind of mirror that has lightbulbs all around it - hideous! I can't wait to have a modern, clean, functional bathroom!
    You would be surprised what people want. Even list them as free as it saves you having to get rid of them and you could save money on a skip bin by buying a smaller one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Have you got any photos?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    You would be surprised what people want. Even list them as free as it saves you having to get rid of them and you could save money on a skip bin by buying a smaller one.
    Haha that's true - you never know. Could be worth a shot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ask for an itemised quote. We did a reno a few years ago. Materials cost us abt $6k (everything from waterproofing, vanity, toilet, tapwear, tiles - floor to ceiling, feature - no bath etc) if you cost out your materials it will help you budget and give you an idea of what places are charging for labour - if it isn't itemised! (Pet peeve of mine) from memory, it took us a 2 weeks to finish (but there was lots of down time ie: jackhammering tiles off the floor and walls, waterproofing to dry, tiles to glue and then grout etc) I would budget 50/hour for labour depending on location...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (25-01-2016),MrsChino  (25-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ours was around 10k but with asbestos that will be your big cost.
    We were lucky our laundry is directly under our bathroom so we added a laundry shoot so got a customised vanity.
    My dh is a builder so we either did it ourselves or got a friend to do it.
    We ripped out the bath and sold that and the vanity and got about $800 to add to the budget . You would be surprised what people will buy

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

MrsChino  (25-01-2016)