Closed Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    For many people it's pretty hard to put your money where your mouth is if your workplace is shut. When I worked before kids I couldn't have gone in on a public holiday even if I wanted to, it was a huge building for a government agency and it was completelt locked up. I couldn't have physically gotten in. And when I worked in retail during uni and was rostered on it would have been impossible to not get paid the penalty rates (I worked for a Woolworths subsidiary). You got paid what the payroll system paid you.
    I agree. I couldn't work tomorrow even if I wanted to. I have no access to my building on a public holiday.

When I worked in law firms it was easy. It was actually quite nice. Very quiet and I'd get heaps done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    What I really dislike about Australia Day is I feel like January never gets out of 2nd gear as there's another long weekend around the corner. People often don't go back to work until the 11th and then just as you get out of holiday mode we get another one.

It's been my gripe for the 20 odd years I've been working.
    lol serious?

so what?

plenty of clients in my industry take off too and tbh it's nice to get a bit of a break. sure we get Xmas/New Years but it's nice to ease back into the new year slowly. compliance season after January is flat chat til may/June so I enjoy the relaxed mood of January.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Cherry18Bloss  (25-01-2016),VicPark  (25-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default How do you really feel about Australia Day?

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    lol serious?

so what?

plenty of clients in my industry take off too and tbh it's nice to get a bit of a break. sure we get Xmas/New Years but it's nice to ease back into the new year slowly. compliance season after January is flat chat til may/June so I enjoy the relaxed mood of January.
    Lol back at ya!

Yep serious. I haven't started a petition about it. Just a pet peeve.

ETA when you add in how many people took today off as well. It adds up.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Cherry18Bloss  (25-01-2016),turquoisecoast  (25-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Australia Day knockers: do you feel strongly enough in your convictions to turn up to work tomorrow (if you work) and forgo the public holiday?
    I could go in if I had to as I have after hours access. but why would I bother? I get paid regardless so why work for a day's pay if I don't have to?

that said i have worked public holidays in the past when clients/workload has demanded it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

For many people it's pretty hard to put your money where your mouth is if your workplace is shut.
    Surely there is something you could do to ensure you don't benefit from a day you are repulsed by?
    Work this Saturday? Work 12 hours on Wednesday and Thursday to make up the difference? Volunteer somewhere for the day?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

J37  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    We're farmers, mate. No such thing as a public holiday.
    Or a day off at all from what I hear!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Surely there is something you could do to ensure you don't benefit from a day you are repulsed by?
    Work this Saturday? Work 12 hours on Wednesday and Thursday to make up the difference?
    The collective you or me specifically? I never said I was repulsed by it. And I'm not sure there are many workplaces where you can just work when it suits you, especially if you're paid hourly and qualify for penalty rates. It's just not that simple.

I don't believe in God but still take the public holidays given over Easter and Xmas. I don't support the monarchy but I still take the Queen's Birthday holiday. I don't support horse racing but still take Cup Day. There's hypocrisy, sure, but then there's also practicality and reasonableness.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I could go in if I had to as I have after hours access. but why would I bother? I get paid regardless so why work for a day's pay if I don't have to?
    *If* you were physically able to go into work I think it would be hypocritical of you to not do so on a public holiday that you were repulsed by.
    (Not you personally - just scenario playing).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

The collective you or me specifically? I never said I was repulsed by it. And I'm not sure there are many workplaces where you can just work when it suits you, especially if you're paid hourly and qualify for penalty rates. It's just not that simple.

I don't believe in God but still take the public holidays given over Easter and Xmas. I don't support the monarchy but I still take the Queen's Birthday holiday. I don't support horse racing but still take Cup Day. There's hypocrisy, sure, but then there's also practicality and reasonableness.
    Volunteer work then? Or bottom line you don't feel strongly enough about it all to knock back the free day off?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So bottom line you don't feel strongly enough about it all to knock back the free day off?
    I never said I felt particularly strongly about it. But it's a moot point for me. My previous jobs haven't allowed me the freedom to make that decision and my (hopefully) future career won't either. If I'm rostered on, I'm rostered on. And TBH when I'm back at work I'll take any day given where my kids have the day off so I can spend time with then. There is middle ground though which is simply not celebrating it and we won't be doing that.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast