Closed Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    To be honest ... I just love listening to the hottest 100 on Triple J. We don't celebrate it as such. I feel very lucky to live here though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Never cared for Australia Day being someone with a non-Australian background, it was always just a public holiday to me.

And after growing up and learning what Australia Day actually is I am 100% completely against it. IMO, there shouldn't be an Australia Day at all. There should be a memorial day for the First People and that's it. The way I see it, whether you are "celebrating" colonization or the states coming together, it's still celebrating the choices white Australia made.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think every country has a right to a national day. When I was growing up Australia Day was a real non-event and there certainly wasn't much patriotism going around.

In my early 20s I lived in Europe for 2 years and was amazed at the length some countries go to to celebrate their national day (especially Scandinavia etc). Street parades that the whole town gets involved in, national costumes/dress for everyone, everyone had flags up in their backyards and it was a huge celebration.

So I'm kind of glad people get into it more nowadays, but agree there seems to be too much emphasis on bogan culture and not enough appreciation for our national assets and multicultural society (not forgetting our indigenous history as well). I'd like to see more cultural activities and performances, and less support for backyard p!ssups and giant inflatable thongs. Or maybe I'm just getting old 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    @sunnygirl79 I don't think anyone is saying we shouldn't have a day each year to celebrate Australia. The concern is what 26 January represents is upsetting to many.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So I may be crucified for this....

I feel so sorry for what the indigenous Australians had to experience, it's heartbreaking. And it continues to haunt generation after generation 😕 However Australia Day is Australia Day. And while I may not agree with the date due to its history, I love it. I am so grateful to live in this beautiful country and I love to celebrate with my family. I use this day to educate my kids on how fortunate we are to be here and it means so much to our family.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jarylee For This Useful Post:

bluehawaii  (25-01-2016),misho  (25-01-2016),sunnyflower  (25-01-2016),sunnygirl79  (25-01-2016),SuperGranny  (27-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    When I lived in cronulla I hid indoors on 26/1 as it didn't feel safe to go outside. Now I'm in Canberra and whilst I feel safer to be outdoors I will just hover close to home.
    This makes me really sad

Did you live there when the riots took place?

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    This makes me really sad

Did you live there when the riots took place?
    Just after the riots. I was by myself as dh (then dp) was posted overseas on deployment. Didn't leave the house for 3 days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    I'm an Indian and tomorrow is also Indian republic day. So as kids we celebrated it as a special Indian and Aussie day by eating lots of food. So tomorrow I'm cooking

Cheesymite scrolls for breakfast, vegetarian pakoras for lunch and tandoori lamb chops with Bombay potatoes and a spicy cauliflower/pea dish. My spin on meat & 3 veg. Dessert is a mango icecream.

When I lived in cronulla I hid indoors on 26/1 as it didn't feel safe to go outside. Now I'm in Canberra and whilst I feel safer to be outdoors I will just hover close to home.
    It makes me so sad that you didn't feel safe to go outside. I'm so sorry.

Enjoy your day tomorrow, all the food sounds delicious!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's OK. It's not like I like triple J, BBQs or stuff like that. We are off to church tomorrow as its a special thanksgiving mass then morning tea at the parish hall then home to lunch, naps and dinner.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast