Closed Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla View Post
    I agree with everything said so far.

I think that maybe we should instead celebrate Australia Day on the day that all the colonies came together and we actually became one nation of Australia at federation.
    That's brilliant!!! It would be Jan 1 wouldn't it then?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Australia day in my house is just a public holiday. A day off to take kids to a fair thats local. Nothing more.
    I also think its insensitive towards aboriginal people.
    I think the hype around 1 day is bs when the rest of the days our society doesnt seem to value or appreciate what being Australian and/or living in australia means.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JustUsFive For This Useful Post:

Ngaiz  (25-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    That's brilliant!!! It would be Jan 1 wouldn't it then?
    Yep. 2 days partying in a row. New Year's Eve followed immediately by Australia Day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I really dislike what Australia Day has become.

We were away at a coastal town north of here and on Saturday all the cars rolled in to town with their Australia flags flying and the loud drunken parties began.

What's that got to do with Australia?

We wound up leaving early. I can't stand exposing my kids to that sort of behaviour and saying it's because they're celebrating Australia Day they're all loud and drunk.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (25-01-2016),MissMuppet  (25-01-2016),turquoisecoast  (25-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a public holiday here

Thanks
    Reviews
    I couldn't care less.

Far too much money is wasted on fireworks and I think the Australia Day awards have become a bit of a joke.

FWIW Canada Day is celebrated on the day they became a Federation, the 4th of July is the day the Declaration of Independence were signed and Waitangi day is the day the treaty was signed. All countries were also invaded by Europeans but don't celebrate the specific landing day.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to alliecat89 For This Useful Post:

Whirligig  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love Australia day, and although I never do any huge celebrations I do try and celebrate in some way with my family.

That said though, I do think that the date it's held on is insensitive to our indigenous people.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (25-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Exactly the same. I feel privileged to live in a country where I can be educated, relatively safe and so are my children. It's a beautiful country and I'm proud to be Australian.

But I feel like Australia Day is an embarrassment. Both in what it signifies, that we invaded and stole the land, murdered the First People. And how it has become this bogan trailer trash excuse for racism, drunkenness and blind patriotism. I'm not saying the family that holds an Aust Day BBQ are the above, not at all. But I think we all know the sorts I'm talking about.
    Pretty much exactly this.

I've never celebrated Aus Day in any form other than listening to Triple J's Hottest 100. But I always make a point of rembering and acknowledging the nations First People.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

Tinkers  (25-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't celebrate Australia Day in this household either. Do enjoy the public holiday though 😜 it does feel that over the past 5-10 years it's become really bogan and crass and is being hyped up and built up in a kind of false way if that makes sense?
    And yes it does sit uncomfortably with me to celebrate essentially stealing land from people who were already here. The term 'colonisation' gives me the shivers 😁
    I wouldn't say I'm proud to be Australian because I'm not quite sure yet what it means to 'be Australian'. But I sure do feel privileged to be Australian, most of the time we have no idea how good we've got it here. Perhaps that is what I will celebrate tomorrow.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (25-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Yep, I'm with you old biddies.
    I've never celebrated it in any form but the way that it seems to have warped into the Straya day, aussie flag bikini wearing, lamb eating bogan extravaganza just turns my stomach.
    Those of you with older kids, how do you navigate this? Do your kids want to celebrate it at all? I've found with my kids seeing the stuff in the shops and the ads on TV they're talking about it a bit more and I don't really know how to approach it.