Closed Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by alliecat89 View Post
    If you want to make comparisons look at Native Americans, not black Americans.

Black Americans aren't indigenous to the country.
    She was responding to a comment that believed there was a comparison.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BitsHead View Post
    As for the life expectancy, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." I live in a rural area, there is a health/community centre here specifically aimed to/for aboriginal people.. We would build a house for someone who identifies as an aboriginal person..
    You are so ignorant to the beliefs and ingrained fear of the 'white man' culture that indigenous people worldwide have it is not even funny. It's easy to say these things as an outsider looking in but until you live it I suggest keeping your trap shut. Attitudes like this are a huge part of the struggle indigenous people face trying to move forward. Believe our not, many don't exactly love the way they live. Do you think we don't hear these types of comments? I have lived it in NZ and see it on a daily basis at work. All good saying go use the doctor, but did you ever consider that no one has actually ever told them when it is important to go see one or that the medicine isn't a poison. Yes we have been provided with schooling and health care but I can assure you that many indigenous people have not been given education on the importance of these.

I'm sure after you have had your land, culture and human rights striped you would feel just as apprehensive to assimilate to the European norm. Don't forget, children were once removed from these families and parents were told it was because they couldn't care for them well enough so why would they risk going to see someone if they thought their child wad going to be removed from their care.

Eta-(sorry BH crashed on me).

I have only learnt the true history of NZ as an adult. I understand that no teacher wants to teach a bunch of children that, for no reason, men were murdered and women and children were raped even if it is part of the curriculum. I'm am grateful that Waitangi Day is not celebrated on a day that reminds me every year of the awful things that were inflicted upon my ancestors. I can't imagine having to be reminded year after year that everything that was once 'Australian' to me was still slipping away while the majority were oblivious to the significant events that took place on this date in history and celebratingeverything that being Australian meant to them.
    Last edited by Ngaiz; 26-01-2016 at 02:01.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (26-01-2016),~Marigold~  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Me maybe that's why I love being an Aussie. My favourites are WA (Broome) and the NT.
    Me too. NT also my favourite. (Well, second to the glorious State of Victoria, of course!).

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    I actually thought the conversation about how other countries deal with their native people was an interesting one.

In terms of Australia Day though - I am struggling to explain to my daughter why we should celebrate how lucky we are in Australia, yet convey how sad I am that we choose this day to celebrate it.

Our school does try hard in this respect though. They do teach a bit about aboriginal history (certainly a lot more than I learned at school) so that is a start
    When I was in Year 7, we actually spent quite a bit of time learning and discussing Aboriginal history. Our starting point was the book "My Place", by Sally Morgan. We explored this history across many subjects: English, Art, History and Geography.

This was 28 years ago. (Bugger me, I'm old). Not sure if others had the same experience at school, or whether my school was particularly progressive? (Seems strange, as I went to a Private Anglican School!).

Last edited by J37; 26-01-2016 at 02:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yesterday morning (Monday), my husband received several emails from his team members saying they were "cough, cough" sick, and couldn't come in.

Faking a sickie to take a 4-day weekend...What's more Australian than that!

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (26-01-2016),BH-KatiesMum  (26-01-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (26-01-2016),VicPark  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love Australia Day we always spend it by the river with all of our family skiing and tubing. We have a bbq lunch and home made pavlova, scones and lamingtons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (26-01-2016),Frankenmum  (26-01-2016),twinklify  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    KM - I think valuing being an Aussie and how lucky we are, and teaching our kids about the invasion and treatment of Indigenous people aren't mutually exclusive, just as our feelings don't need to be. We can tell our children that we generally have a good education system, health with medicare, that we have no civil war etc etc Australia is a great place to live. BUT that you acknowledge the past. My experience with Indigenous people is that they don't want anything more than that - acknowledgement of the wrongs and for Anglos to support a passing down of the truth. You are doing that

Quote Originally Posted by BitsHead View Post
    I've always been a believer in "help those who help themselves"... Anyway.. Just my opinion.. I know people will disagree but it's good to see other perspectives, am I wrong..?
    See in theory I actually agree. I'm a big one for personal responsibility. The problem is 'helping yourself' requires lots of factors and comes from a place of privilege. It isn't just as easy as to say the Indigenous Australians need to help themselves, the reasons for low life expectancy, high DV rates etc are quite complex and much deeper than just 'help yourself'.

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (26-01-2016),BH-KatiesMum  (26-01-2016),Frankenmum  (26-01-2016),gingermillie  (26-01-2016),harvs  (26-01-2016),HollyGolightly81  (26-01-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (26-01-2016),TheGooch  (26-01-2016),VicPark  (26-01-2016),~Marigold~  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    can't find on google for some reason, but what is the actual date that Australia became known as "Australia" ?