+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I think highschool is very relevant too.

You could have one child who be begins year 12 at 16 alongside kids who turn 18 at the beginning of the year.
    This is what seems really strange to me, coming from WA. Why isn't there a set starting age? Surely having such a big age range would cause issues in both lower and higher years?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ArthurDent For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I think highschool is very relevant too.

You could have one child who be begins year 12 at 16 alongside kids who turn 18 at the beginning of the year.
    But isn't this only because the 18 year olds were held back by their parents? If all kids started according to the rules and not held back, there would only be a max of a 12 month gap and therefore there wouldn't be a problem with high school / the teenage years.

This is obviously based on a 1 intake per year scenario like in SA.

I agree with a PP who said it should be the same rules across Australia. In SA, there's kindy the year before you start Reception at Primary school. Kindy is equivalent of 2-2.5 school days and Reception is full time just like every other year at primary school.

Is it the same in any other state?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in WA and as far as I am aware you do not get to choose what year they go to school. It is a requirement that they attend pre primary from a certain age. Kindy is the year before pre primary and that is not compulsory.

If your child is 5 by 30 June then they must attend pre primary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TeBe View Post
    I'm in WA and as far as I am aware you do not get to choose what year they go to school. It is a requirement that they attend pre primary from a certain age. Kindy is the year before pre primary and that is not compulsory.

If your child is 5 by 30 June then they must attend pre primary.
    This is my understanding too. We don't get a choice in WA. So the arguments against are fine but for many over here they are moot (and just make us all feel a bit crappy to be honest as there's not a lot we can do about it).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    This is my understanding too. We don't get a choice in WA. So the arguments against are fine but for many over here they are moot (and just make us all feel a bit crappy to be honest as there's not a lot we can do about it).
    In SA, you can't start early but you can start late. So you can't even hold your child back in WA under any circumstance? That's really unfair

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Parents with kids starting school at less than 5yo

Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    In SA, you can't start early but you can start late. So you can't even hold your child back in WA under any circumstance? That's really unfair
    It's extremely difficult. I don't know anyone who's done it successfully.

I guess if the same rule applies to everyone at the schools you won't have the 18 month age gaps that potentially exist in other states.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default Parents with kids starting school at less than 5yo

I guess if the same rule applies to everyone at the schools you won't have the 18 month age gaps that potentially exist in other states.
    This was my point earlier. I think having no leeway is a catch22. I see positives and negatives.

Perhaps no leeway is a better way. My other comment was for kids with learning difficulties or severe anxiety / social difficulties it's unfair to force a parent to send their child to school at a certain point in time.

I don't want to hold my DD back but I'm planning on going off the advice of her child care and kindy teachers. I'd rather her repeat a year of kindy (she will go 2 full days a week from Feb) than purposely hold her back from kindy and therefore school before she has this next year to start holding a pen properly, advancing from drawing scribbles and swirls, having her sit and pay attention for long periods of time etc. I hope Kindy will really help her with that.

OP it sounds like you have it sussed. If your DS meets the age criteria and you think he's ready, that's good enough reason in my opinion

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    But isn't this only because the 18 year olds were held back by their parents? If all kids started according to the rules and not held back, there would only be a max of a 12 month gap and therefore there wouldn't be a problem with high school / the teenage years.

This is obviously based on a 1 intake per year scenario like in SA.

I agree with a PP who said it should be the same rules across Australia. In SA, there's kindy the year before you start Reception at Primary school. Kindy is equivalent of 2-2.5 school days and Reception is full time just like every other year at primary school.

Is it the same in any other state?
    All the states seem so different. I think it should be the same too.

In ACT all kids do preschool (though it's not compulsory) and they have to turn 4 by a April 30th to start (preschool is free in most state schools), then for kindergarten they have to be 5 or turning 5 by April 30th to start. Kindy is fulltime and the year before year 1 primary. If your kid is say born in March, you have the choice to start them the following year when they are already 5 turning 6, this is what the bulk of parents seem to do. They just have to have already turned 5 or be 5 by April.

Thanks
    Reviews

Im actually ok with our system after reading this thread. Otherwise everyone would be holding their children back out of fear that the child will be 18 months younger than the rest.

I'm sure the youngest child isn't quite as much of an issue when there is a maximum 12 month difference?

Having said that I wouldn't mind the intake year being pushed back a year, they seem to be pushed along a lot earlier now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In QLD the cutoff is 30th June, so if your child turns 5 by then they can start prep that year. It's not that big of a deal to hold back a child who was born in the firsy half of the year but it does become problematic if they were born in the second half of the year.

Take for example my DS2 and looking towards high school. He was born in May, and I will be delaying his entry to prep by one year. Being a May baby he will turn 18 in year 12 only a handful of weeks before the July born children turn 18.

Whereas my DS1 was born in November. If I was to delay his entry he would be turning 18 at the end of year 11 and 19 at the end of year 12.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (26-01-2016)