+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Im still not used to how the different states work, they all seem to be quiet different.

In canberra all kids do preschool (though not compulsory) which is offered at almost all schools and they usually do it part time but can do it full time, then they do kindy the year after. That's after daycare.
    I know I find it very confusing.

In WA 4 year old kinder is usually offered at the public school 5 days a fortnight. Private schools can offer more days.

You then move to full time school the first year is called preprimary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    What do you mean? Are you asking me specifically or just about how kids who are young cope generally at high school?

The school my son goes to has a concept of a middle school so they don't actually move to high school until year 9. They are in junior school from prep to year 5 then in middle school for 3 years. So he won't hit night school until year 9 which I understand massively helps with the transition.
    High school comment wasn't aimed at you but the point is that you (General you) might think your child is ready to start school now, but will they be ready for high school when they're only 11 for more than half the year and some classmates are 13?

There's so much more thought and consideration that needs to go into this than what they are up to right now.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (26-01-2016),Chippa  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've had a skim read through all the comments. Honestly I do think this is a case by case..individual basis.
    I actually went to school early.
    I was the youngest and tiniest (I'm short!) All the way through school.
    Into high school the youngest. ...finished high school at 16 in year 12. Started uni when I had just turned 17.
    But I had gone to a kindy when I was little and I was ready. Mum tells I was mature and social and quite smart.
    Fron my personal experience it never ever bothered me. Ever. Didn't care that I was the youngest or anything. Never was behind either.

I'm a teacher but I haven't taught prep or early years. But I have had a few 'youngies' in my class that really needed to repeat by the time they got to year 3 or 4. Boys moreso than girls.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I do think high school is a relevant point.

I turned 16 at the start of Year 12. I was the youngest in my year. I found it very tricky the year after school finished, when all of my friends were turning 18 and doing what 18 year olds do. I felt very excluded socially and did go illegally into clubs and pubs just so I could hang out with my friends. It caused conflict with my mum.

Not directed at you OP, just a general point to consider :-)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    High school comment wasn't aimed at you but the point is that you (General you) might think your child is ready to start school now, but will they be ready for high school when they're only 11 for more than half the year and some classmates are 13?

There's so much more thought and consideration that needs to go into this than what they are up to right now.
    I agree. Even though my experience is with junior primary, I have also seen the effects of children starting too young continue throughout their schooling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    My DD will start school in Feb 2017 and will turn 5 on 2 March. Would everyone who say 4 is too young to start school put my DD in the 4 year old category because she's tech let 4 when she starts or not as she'll only be 1 month off being 5?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I guess this thing is that it seems most parents hold their kids back the extra year, so it's not as though you'll have a class of half younger kids half older kids, the vast majority of kids will probably be older and bigger. So if you think your kid is ready you just have to make sure you're ok with your child always being the youngest against his peers. Another year at home or in preschool won't hurt them. I've talked to quite a few teachers and preschool teachers (because I have a kid on the cusp) and they said they rarely see a younger child not struggle against their peers, especially boys.

Preschool is a good option because it gets them used to being in the classroom and all of that. I thought all kids in NSW did preschool? They do in ACT.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    My DD will start school in Feb 2017 and will turn 5 on 2 March. Would everyone who say 4 is too young to start school put my DD in the 4 year old category because she's tech let 4 when she starts or not as she'll only be 1 month off being 5?
    My personal opinion is that Feb/March is that grey area, however, March babies are the youngest babies in all of my kid's years so you need to work out whether you want your child to be the youngest in the year, or one of the oldest (but not the oldest). To me, the rest of it doesn't matter...there are ways to entertain a 5 year old at home for another year so boredom wouldn't come in to it...even if they were bored for that year, I'd prefer my child to be among the oldest, not the youngest (due to social concerns in highschool more than anything), so we'd just deal for that one year.

Jontu - I think you've had lots of sound advice here from teachers, parents, and personal experiences cautioning against sending a July baby to school at 4.5 years. However, you sound confident that your DS is ready now, and you don't seem to be worried that your son will be up to 18 months younger than most of his peers. So, good luck with kindy this year. I hope your DS has lots of fun
    Last edited by Full House; 26-01-2016 at 09:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I do think high school is a relevant point.

I turned 16 at the start of Year 12. I was the youngest in my year. I found it very tricky the year after school finished, when all of my friends were turning 18 and doing what 18 year olds do. I felt very excluded socially and did go illegally into clubs and pubs just so I could hang out with my friends. It caused conflict with my mum.

Not directed at you OP, just a general point to consider :-)
    I think highschool is very relevant too.

You could have one child who be begins year 12 at 16 alongside kids who turn 18 at the beginning of the year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been reading along with interest as my DD was born at the end of June so (if we are still in QLD) would start school at 4.5. That hadn't really bothered me as I thought that the starting age was pretty much set in stone and therefore the kids in her class would only be a maximum of one year older than her (and someone always has to be the youngest!). But reading this thread I'm thinking that it would be more like an 18 month gap and if we move interstate then a 2 year gap. That's a big gap.... Anyway that's a few years away.

As others has stated, why on earth isn't it standard in Australia!?

We moved interstate when I was a kid and somehow my brother ended up starting year 1 when he was 4 years old, I think due some confusion over naming conventions between states and also my parents being from overseas didn't understand the Australian school system. Even back then it was young. So he started uni at 16!