+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Parents with kids starting school at less than 5yo

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    This is interesting. Makes me confident my son is more than ready (he's 5 in March) and starts full time school next Monday.
    Like I said, I think the cut off should be term 1. July is so young. Even if everything on the list is checked.

What about high school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So I have had a chance to think things through and this morning I do feel much more confident that he is ready. I have asked myself these questions and the answer to both is yes
    - if I didn't have to pay for childcare would I still want to send him
    - do I think he will enjoy school

I loved going to school when I was younger. You get to learn new things, play with friends. And I think ds would be bored being in childcare another year.
    @BigRedV , I read the link and ds ticks all of those.

The only thing that I am concerned about is high school but who knows what the future will be like.

Thanks again to everyone who replied. Sorry I haven't thanked all the posts individually but I have taken everyone's opinions on board.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there, yes, high school can be an issue- if your DS is July, alot children could be almost 18 months older than your DS. Also, I have noticed that some highschools I am looking at have a cut off of end of March (some private schools). My DS was 'ready' to start school at 4, turning 5 in March, and off he went, and he has thrived socially, academically going well (he has some issues with motor skills due to poor vision)- we moved house a month ago and are starting a new school this week and we have decided that DS2 can do year 2 again- after meeting with the new principal and other considerations= the new school is a lot bigger, more demanding, more activities- principal said DS2 would have been basically the youngest! Now, even as a March baby, he wont even be the oldest. Anyway, we took the opportunity to repeat given new school- I know now that there could be benefits down the track for him. Your son might be 'ready' but one issue remains (as I have come to realise) that a lot of children will be almost 18 months older. all the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following...my DS will turn 5 un April

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Parents with kids starting school at less than 5yo

Out of interest OP has your child done a year of preschool? Im not sure how it works in NSW but in canberra they do pre school when they are 4 and you can opt to do that full time.
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 26-01-2016 at 07:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I was going to suggest pre school as well. You can get rebates if it is non council runned and if it is, they usually do a means tested set up where you should get a good discount.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds has been going to long daycare so he is there from 7.30 to 5.30 five days a week. He started daycare when he was 18months initially 3 days but from 2015 he was going 5 days. He is used to being in structured environment and routines. 2 of his daycare teachers have said they believe he is ready socially and academically. The school we want to send him to is small, only 2 classes each year and they don't offer preschool.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im still not used to how the different states work, they all seem to be quiet different.

In canberra all kids do preschool (though not compulsory) which is offered at almost all schools and they usually do it part time but can do it full time, then they do kindy the year after. That's after daycare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Like I said, I think the cut off should be term 1. July is so young. Even if everything on the list is checked.

What about high school?
    What do you mean? Are you asking me specifically or just about how kids who are young cope generally at high school?

The school my son goes to has a concept of a middle school so they don't actually move to high school until year 9. They are in junior school from prep to year 5 then in middle school for 3 years. So he won't hit night school until year 9 which I understand massively helps with the transition.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If ds was like my dd I would wait another year. My dd even now is great with teachers but not so great socially around other kids. I was so worried about her when she started kindy as I felt she just wasn't ready. I didn't have a choice though as she turns 6 in kindy so I had to send her when she was 5 (December baby).
    Surprisingly she likes kindy more than daycare and her report says her interaction with peers is improving. I think it's partly age but moreso just her personality. I guess my point is that ds personality makes me feel he is ready at 4.5 so it's not just the age that is the factor.