+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Edit.
    Last edited by Jontu; 25-01-2016 at 22:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    My DS could have gone early but it was never an option. IMO 4.5 is way too young, and talking to a lot of teachers many agree. Boys in particular tend to take a bit longer to find their feet at school, socially, with impulse control, maturity and attention span. That isn't opinion that is fact. Obviously that's not *all* boys but many.

I would like to see early entry removed except in special circumstances not related to finances.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS2 is supposed to start school at 4yrs 8months. He's only 2years old but we've already made the decision to hold him back until he's older. Having our eldest DD start school two years ago has been a real eye opener to the education system and I firmly believe it's a terrible idea for 4year olds to be at school. Prep is no longer play based, they are made to sit down and focus for long periods of time, given homework from week two, outside play sessions are twice a day for the first two terms and then once per day for the remainder of the prep year in alignment with the older grades. It's far too structured for a 4yo IMO.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (26-01-2016),HollyGolightly81  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm in QLD and delayed entry for my May boy, he's starting school this year.

He could have gone last year, but he's developed socially and emotionally so much the past 12 months I know he will thrive at school. I want him to love learning, I didn't want him to just cope.

I personally believe children should start school the year they turn 6.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (26-01-2016),Chippa  (26-01-2016),HollyGolightly81  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    I want him to love learning, I didn't want him to just cope.
    I love this, so true The first year is so important, not just academically but how they view learning.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (26-01-2016),NoteToSelf  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I respect everyone's opinions. My dd started at 5 as she is a December baby so I had to send her. She would have only been 6m older than my ds. But I can see already he is much more socially ready than she was.
    He also likes to do sight words and reads dds readers so I think being 2nd born makes a difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a July baby, and she is academically very capable. At 3.5, she can write her name, read her letter sounds and some simple words, easily competent with counting, numbers, colours, shapes, and understands and articulates lots of complex concepts. However, I wouldn't even consider sending her at 4.5. In SA, I don't have a choice anyway - the cut off is at the end of April, so I am not allowed to send her until she is 5.5. I am also a prep teacher, so I know too well the benefit of waiting until she is older, rather than sending a child younger. In my professional opinion, it is almost ALWAYS better to wait until the child is older. School is compulsory in all Aus states except tas in the year the child turns 6 - so you cannot be forced to send your child younger than that if you aren't comfortable.
    http://www.acara.edu.au/reporting/na...tructures.html

It isn't 'holding them back' to send a child to school the year they turn 6 - it is starting at an appropriate age for formal schooling. Most 4 year olds aren't ready for the classroom environment. They should be running around outside, playing in the sandpit, putting on dress ups, and playing. Most schools incorporate a play based curriculum into the lower years, but even so, there is structured learning that HAS to happen (as dictated by the national curriculum) - and so it should - otherwise the curriculum has to be brought down to meet the level of younger students who are not yet ready to learn in a classroom. Why not just wait until they are ready - as PP said, they might cope if they are younger, but they will be more likely to thrive if they are older.

This is only my opinion based on my experience teaching prep, where kids would start aged between 4.5-6 years. I have a strong opinion on the matter, so please don't take offence to my strong wording - ultimately, you know your child best & need to make the decision that is right for your family.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (26-01-2016),Chippa  (26-01-2016),HollyGolightly81  (26-01-2016),Ra Ra Superstar  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    DS2 is supposed to start school at 4yrs 8months. He's only 2years old but we've already made the decision to hold him back until he's older. Having our eldest DD start school two years ago has been a real eye opener to the education system and I firmly believe it's a terrible idea for 4year olds to be at school. Prep is no longer play based, they are made to sit down and focus for long periods of time, given homework from week two, outside play sessions are twice a day for the first two terms and then once per day for the remainder of the prep year in alignment with the older grades. It's far too structured for a 4yo IMO.
    I remember we would watch Play School and have an after-lunch nap every day in kindergarten!
    I don't think they do that anymore lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Parents with kids starting school at less than 5yo

Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    I respect everyone's opinions. My dd started at 5 as she is a December baby so I had to send her. She would have only been 6m older than my ds. But I can see already he is much more socially ready than she was.
    He also likes to do sight words and reads dds readers so I think being 2nd born makes a difference.
    Being ready for school has nothing to do with academics. He's just copying his sister, doesn't mean he is ready.

There's so much more to it. Here's a check list http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/gotosc...reforkindi.php

I think it's a terrible idea to send him because of financial reasons.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Being ready for school has nothing to do with academics. He's just copying his sister, doesn't mean he is ready.

There's so much more to it. Here's a check list http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/gotosc...reforkindi.php

I think it's a terrible idea to send him because of financial reasons.
    This is interesting. Makes me confident my son is more than ready (he's 5 in March) and starts full time school next Monday.