+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for all the input and different experiences. When I took ds to orientation he was much smaller than the other kids and one of my concerns is that he might get bullied.
    However I have seen him interact with older kids and he seems to make friends easily. His daycare teachers have also said he is able to sit still and listen. They did however say that sometimes he rushes through his work because he wants to play with the other kids.
    It's such a tough decision. My instincts do say he is ready though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing to read later, we're currently in the UK where it's standard to start at 4 so DS is meant to start when he is 4.5 and I am pretty unsure about it. Nobody seems to hold them back here although I am hearing it is slowly becoming and option, but thought I heard if you hold them back then they start in year one rather than prep as they keep ages together here 😕

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Parents with kids starting school at less than 5yo

I think 4.5 is way too young. My son is a July baby and turning 6 this year. I have never considered sending him at 4. He starts his first year of school next week.

Being small would concern me, especially in the high school years. He will likely reach puberty later than his peers, especially being born in July.

Unless children are extremely gifted, I don't think there is any point in sending them at such a young age. Another year at home will not be detrimental to him, but starting too early could be. That's not a chance I'm willing to take.

I think the cut off date should be uniform across Australia and that it should be term 1. Majority of exclusive private schools in NSW have a March 31 cut off.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (26-01-2016),Chippa  (26-01-2016),CMF  (25-01-2016),delirium  (25-01-2016),Nemmi1987  (25-01-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My DD2 started School at 4yrs and she was more than ready for School, both socially, emotionally and academically. DD3 is staring School this week and she is starting at 5yrs, and I am glad she is, as she is quite the opposite of DD2 in that she is shy, introverted and a lot more naive for want of a better word.

DD2 is very tall, she towers over her peers, so she looks more like my eldest daughter's age (9yrs) then she does her own age. She has thrived in prep and grade one, absolutely no issues, though she always laments the fact that everyone else is already 7 and she is still 6 , but no issues to date for having her start at four.

I honestly believe it's child-dependant, totally dependant on the individual child as to whether they're best to start at 4 or 5 years, and I found you get a very good indication of that after Preschool and seeing them with their peers etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jontu, ultimately you know your child better than anyone else on here. But, remember that your son has the potential to be 18 months younger than other kids in his class. That will occur throughout his whole schooling life...so think about things like your son having to wait an extra 18 months before he starts driving, is of legal age to drink etc. compared to his mates, and how you might tackle these situations...because they do come up, and it can be very excluding when your friends are all off doing things you can't do because you're just not old enough...and at worse, the younger kids just join in with their older peers, resulting in illegal activities for the younger child (these things worry me with my children that are born at the end of the year, so are 3-9 months younger than most of their peers).
    For me, personally, it's not the early years that would worry me, it would be the later years...and I'd want to be completely confident in my abilities to handle those challenges in the teenage years (even thing like having a 17 1/2 year old at uni, are they going to be mature enough to cope in that environment?).
    Also, you seem like you're doubtful, but confident in your son's abilities to cope with starting school at 4.5? Maybe write a pro's and con's list for starting at 4.5 and starting at 5.5, and see where that leads you? Do you think it would be detrimental to your son to start him at school at 5.5 years old?

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (25-01-2016),binnielici  (26-01-2016),Chippa  (26-01-2016),giveitago  (25-01-2016),Jontu  (25-01-2016),Nemmi1987  (25-01-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's a personality thing. My son started at 4.5 (turned 5 in June) and he has done really well. He is naturally tall for his age and quite sporty and physically able. He is also (and always has been) very very good socially. His teachers have always said that he has always been great in social settings. Academically he is probably average.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I am an advocate of sending kids when they are ready. However, the big problem with NSW is that most parents seem to keep kids back. I have heard of December babies being the youngest in the grade.

It could become a problem when he hits highschool as the gap in maturity may widen somewhat.
    This is def the case at our school (catholic in nsw) for this years kindergarten (first year of full time school) they were not accepting any 2011 babies, meaning the youngest in this year would have turned 5 by the end of 2015 so all will turn 6 this year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Jontu, ultimately you know your child better than anyone else on here. But, remember that your son has the potential to be 18 months younger than other kids in his class. That will occur throughout his whole schooling life...so think about things like your son having to wait an extra 18 months before he starts driving, is of legal age to drink etc. compared to his mates, and how you might tackle these situations...because they do come up, and it can be very excluding when your friends are all off doing things you can't do because you're just not old enough...and at worse, the younger kids just join in with their older peers, resulting in illegal activities for the younger child (these things worry me with my children that are born at the end of the year, so are 3-9 months younger than most of their peers).
    For me, personally, it's not the early years that would worry me, it would be the later years...and I'd want to be completely confident in my abilities to handle those challenges in the teenage years (even thing like having a 17 1/2 year old at uni, are they going to be mature enough to cope in that environment?).
    Also, you seem like you're doubtful, but confident in your son's abilities to cope with starting school at 4.5? Maybe write a pro's and con's list for starting at 4.5 and starting at 5.5, and see where that leads you? Do you think it would be detrimental to your son to start him at school at 5.5 years old?
    You are right. I am more worried about him as a teen.

I will be completely honest that one of the reasons I am sending him at 4.5 is the cost of daycare. It will be approx 20k after rebates. At the moment dh is out of a job but looking. This puts us in a tricky situation. Childcare spots are hard to get so we would have to put him in asap whilst dh looked for work to secure a spot. My workplace is also restructuring so not 100% sure of my future either.

I do feel he is ready now but the older years concerns me. At the same time I feel like no one can predict the future. From experience sometimes it's the older kids at school who get into mischief in year 12 because they have a licence, they are legally allowed to drink and then get into strife in year 12. It's so hard one minute I am certain he is ready, next minute I am worried about his future.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    You are right. I am more worried about him as a teen.

I will be completely honest that one of the reasons I am sending him at 4.5 is the cost of daycare. It will be approx 20k after rebates. At the moment dh is out of a job but looking. This puts us in a tricky situation. Childcare spots are hard to get so we would have to put him in asap whilst dh looked for work to secure a spot. My workplace is also restructuring so not 100% sure of my future either.

I do feel he is ready now but the older years concerns me. At the same time I feel like no one can predict the future. From experience sometimes it's the older kids at school who get into mischief in year 12 because they have a licence, they are legally allowed to drink and then get into strife in year 12. It's so hard one minute I am certain he is ready, next minute I am worried about his future.
    A few things:
    If your DS was born in August, how would you manage the daycare situation for this year? If you can work out a way to answer that, then perhaps that's a solution for this year for you? I can understand the appeal in school being a solution to your financial troubles this year, but it shouldn't be the driving force behind deciding when to start your DS at school.

The older years concern everyone in some way or another. Teenage years are just terrifying as a parent, regardless! haha I for one am more concerned about my children having older friends and engaging in illegal activities due to their age, than what I am about them blowing their last year of highschool as a legal adult who spends too much time partying (they will learn lessons from both, but the latter is less terrifying to me...of course none of my children will ever grow up to be reckless teens who engage in this behaviour ). I think that if your DS was 6-12 months older than his peers, he is more unlikely to blow his last year of schooling drinking and partying when his mates aren't legally old enough. Of course, a crystal ball would be required to guarantee that, but I know with my November baby, there's only 4 kids younger in the year, the youngest is early March, so there's a good chance you're basically decideding between your child being the youngest in the class, or one of the oldest. We're in NSW, too, so on the same schooling path. I really would be factoring that in considerably...there's just over 18 months age difference between my two oldest, and they played together beautifully at 4.5 and 6, but there's a much more obvious difference in their maturity levels and interests now they're older, if they were peers in the same class, they wouldn't be friends.

I know it sounds like I'm trying to push you in to holding your son back for another year, but I'm not. I just think it's really important to think about things long term, and not just the short term solutions (and trust me, I understand how hard it is when you're struggling financially...I really do ), so that you are 100% confident that you're making the right choice for your son...that way, if things go 'bad' at any point down the track, you can at least be confident that you 100% believed you made the right decision for when to start kindy.
    Last edited by Full House; 25-01-2016 at 21:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Surely if your husband is out of a job then you would also be entitled to quite a bit of child care benefit as well?