+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Parents with kids starting school at less than 5yo

Last edited by binnielici; 29-01-2016 at 07:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    I agree. I would prefer a calendar year cutoff too.
    Just curious though what was the age cutoff did you have to turn 5 or 6?
    When I went to school (in WA) way back in the olden days as my son would say (early 80's) it was calendar year and you entered Yr 1 the year you turned 6. There was no pre-primary as such. I did Kindy when I was 4 & 5 yrs (not attached to a school as such) then into Primary school.

I'm not sure when it changed to mid year cut off (and at an earlier age) but it certainly confuses all my friends who's kids are starting kindy/preschool etc now as its so different to our experience with entering schooling.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (29-01-2016),misskittyfantastico  (29-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    I agree. I would prefer a calendar year cutoff too.
    Just curious though what was the age cutoff did you have to turn 5 or 6?
    Hmm....I would have to work backwards to work it out. We turned 17 the year we graduated (2001) and in qld there was no prep...so 5 I think that makes it? My situation was a tad different in that I started school in SA and when I moved to qld I had been in grade 6 in Adelaide but was put in a 6/7 composite for testing and was allowed to stay with the grade 7 class to be with peers born in 84 like me rather than having to stay with my grade so ultimately I did six months of grade 6 and then six months of grade 7 in the one year.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MickeyMouse84 For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (29-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I'm sure they go to a form of preschool, it's more that they believe children learn best through play in the early years and are not ready to learn in a more structured setting until older.
    It's exactly this. This is why play based prep programs are my 100% preference. OT but the Finnish system rocks, I've seen Pasi Sahlberg (he's credited with their educational reform) present several times and they are miles in front in terms of equality in education, to start with they have no private schools, everyone attends a state school.
    Last edited by babyla; 29-01-2016 at 09:13.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (29-01-2016),HollyGolightly81  (29-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Finland are considered the best because they top the OECD rankings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    It's exactly this. This is why play based prep programs are my 100% preference. OT but the Finnish system rocks, I've seen Pasi Sahlberg (he's credited with their educational reform) present several times and they are miles in front in terms of equality in education, to start with they have no private schools, everyone attends a state school.
    Class sizes are also much smaller in many Northern European countries as well. We had 28 kids (2 teachers full time) in one of the preprimary classes at the local state school whereas the school we moved DD2 to wouldn't go above 20 per class (3 teachers).

Australia needs to have a massive cultural shift to get even close to what's happening in these countries.

ETA there are some amazing public schools challenging the way we educate our kids. A good friend in Melbourne chose a school which broke the classes into disciplines not years so there were year 1s in the same class as year 6s for many subjects. I've no idea how it worked but the school in the main produced very strong academic results.
    Last edited by Sonja; 29-01-2016 at 09:36.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (29-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Class sizes are also much smaller in many Northern European countries as well. We had 28 kids (2 teachers full time) in one of the preprimary classes at the local state school whereas the school we moved DD2 to wouldn't go above 20 per class (3 teachers).

Australia needs to have a massive cultural shift to get even close to what's happening in these countries.

ETA there are some amazing public schools challenging the way we educate our kids. A good friend in Melbourne chose a school which broke the classes into disciplines not years so there were year 1s in the same class as year 6s for many subjects. I've no idea how it worked but the school in the main produced very strong academic results.
    Our primary school is pretty awesome. Apart from kindergarten (first year of official school), it's all composite classes, kids work together in small groups in class, and rotate stations regularly. Last year they eliminated all maths books, and learn maths through play, and they play games in class when it's obvious the kids have had enough instead of trying to push them to learn something at a time when they're so obviously not interested.