+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Year 1 is second year of school. As far as I'm aware, prep is becoming compulsory or already is compulsory in Queensland. I think the pp wants to start her child in prep at 5yo?
    No we will be starting her in line with the current qld guidelines so she will be 3.5 When she goes to kindy (non conpulsory) and 4.5 when she starts prep (will be compulsory by then for all kids to do prep as the first year of schooling).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Which part doesn't make sense? I don't know what you mean.

It is very difficult to delay your child in Queensland. Not impossible but some schools require lots of "evidence" to support a delayed start. Just read prep will be compulsory in qld in 2017. If parents don't send their child to prep then they usually have to go straight to year 1, missing out on prep.

I don't really know how else to explain it
    None of my friends that have delayed their kids have had any trouble.

From the government website
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Delayed entry
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    None of my friends that have delayed their kids have had any trouble.

From the government website
    That just says that they *can* start prep if they are 5 by 30th June. Says nothing about delayed start.

I have friends who had no choice, friends who had to get evidence. Might not be hard in private schools?

I

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    Delayed entry
    Prep is not currently compulsory, so parents can delay prep but then children can be placed straight into year 1 with no prep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    There are schools like that in Australia but usually private or schools which are not considered main******. My son's school is an International Baccalaureate school so they run on a different model of learning. No desks in classrooms in junior and the learning model is quite different too.

Some of the state schools in Melbourne we looked at sending the girls before we moved to WA also had no reading or writing before year 2. It can be hard making the choice to send your child to a school like that when they aren't the norm here.
    @Sonja - DS school does the IB as well, I never really new much about but it sounds great , he won't start it until 3rd class I think? how is your son finding it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    @Sonja - DS school does the IB as well, I never really new much about but it sounds great , he won't start it until 3rd class I think? how is your son finding it?
    He starts Monday so it's a new world. His school is the only one in WA that has implemented it in the junior middle and senior school. It was the main reason we chose the school as for boys in particular I really like the model.

We have lots of friends whose kids attend the school and they say their boys in the main love it. Some find it challenging but that's true of every school environment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes apparently only 4 schools in NSW do it in primary school , high school a lot more in Sydney now but I think it's only open to independent schools and not public schools , not sure why

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I think the rule should be nation wide that all kids must be 5 on the day they start the first year of primary school. If they turn 5 the day after, bad luck!

Then if say 5% of people delay their 5 year olds there would only be 1-2 kids per 30 pupil class who is vastly older than the bulk of the students, thus eliminating such big age gaps and maturity levels etc
    This! That's how it is in my home country and all the kids in the classroom where born in the same calendar year.
    At least it's a lot easier to get your head around. If a kid was from a prior calendar year (so 1yr older) it just means that he repeated a class...

It makes thinks easier for parents too, no wondering when to start your kids!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    This! That's how it is in my home country and all the kids in the classroom where born in the same calendar year.
    At least it's a lot easier to get your head around. If a kid was from a prior calendar year (so 1yr older) it just means that he repeated a class...

It makes thinks easier for parents too, no wondering when to start your kids!
    The mad thing is when I was a kid it was like this. You had to be a certain age on the first day of school. None of this turning that age before an arbitrary date.

So all the kids in year 1 had to be 6 on 1 February or they waited til the following year.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (29-01-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (29-01-2016)