+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Parents with kids starting school at less than 5yo

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    That's my understanding in WA. I was so worried about DD2 I asked her kindy teacher who basically said now she's started she cannot be held back.
    My SIL managed to get her son (who was one of the youngest in the year) to repeat Pre-Primary (in WA). It was extremely difficult though and she had to get recommendations from the teacher, and meet with the education department numerous times. I think there is a lot of paperwork/funding issues involved. Her son finished the second round of Pre-Primary last year and it did him the world of good.

I'm not sure why they moved the cut off to June 30 - honestly, it seems way more confusing than just keeping the old system. Does it actually benefit anyone? I guess either way you have a span of ages.

ETA: Just realised the thread is talking about not starting school at that age as opposed to repeating a year. My apologies.
    Last edited by wobbleyhorse; 26-01-2016 at 10:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    30 June I think.
    Sorry yes for kids born in July they have the option of starting when they are 4 or 5.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really feel for the teachers in the junior school classes. DD1's class in kindy and preprimary had a lot of kids who were clearly not ready for school. It was awful for her as she was clearly struggling with school and the disruptive behaviour of many of the kids meant she became more and more withdrawn. The teachers were clearly feeling the strain.

I never understood why they changed the age from 5 by 31 January to 5 by 30 June (which is the date in WA).

Does anyone know?
    Is that for starting preschool or year 1? If that's Year 1 then wow it does seem very early to start... In most other states that's the age for starting prep. When I was at school in WA (many moons ago!) kids started Year 1 then year they turned 6.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Parents with kids starting school at less than 5yo

Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Is that for starting preschool or year 1? If that's Year 1 then wow it does seem very early to start... In most other states that's the age for starting prep. When I was at school in WA (many moons ago!) kids started Year 1 then year they turned 6.
    I explained it in my first post.

In WA kindy is the first year at school for many kids but is just 4 year old kindy. The kids go 5 days a fortnight. It's not compulsory. I'm referring to the public system. The private schools often operate 5 days a week for 4 year old kindy.

School properly starts in preprimary. All kids must attend. The age cut off is 5 by 30 June. Unless exceptional circumstances.

ETA I wish the names of the years and the way the worked was the same across Australia. It's so confusing.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (25-01-2016),binnielici  (25-01-2016),PomPoms  (25-01-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-01-2016),wobbleyhorse  (25-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah ok. Well in reference to the query as to why it has been changed, it used to be start pre-primary the year the child turns 5. Then it was changed to the year the child turns 6. Maybe that was going too far and now why they have made it half way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Ah ok. Well in reference to the query as to why it has been changed, it used to be start pre-primary the year the child turns 5. Then it was changed to the year the child turns 6. Maybe that was going too far and now why they have made it half way.
    That makes sense. I had forgotten the school year used to start at 6. I suspect it was driven by economics (I recall something about the cost of kindy vs school but might be wrong on this).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    2015 was the first year we had one intake at our school. In SA now, children have to turn 5 by May 28th (I think?) to be eligible to begin school at the start of that year.

Oh my gosh we noticed the difference between the four year olds and the five year olds, particularly where the boys were concerned. This was socially, behaviourally and also academically - they simply weren't ready to begin learning yet. Now we have a situation where the four year olds have honestly barely learnt anything in terms of 'subjects' like literacy and maths (although have learnt to be at school and everything that means) and will be behind going into Year 1.

It's too early to tell if that will be something that is caught up over time but it has changed the whole culture of our school.

Some children are ready, don't get me wrong, but I think it is definitely about whether a child is school ready more than their age - are they fully toilet trained? socially capable? curious and wanting to learn to read etc?
    @harvs do you know why that is? That they changed it? I would have much preferred for DD to start in term 3 and do 1.5 years of reception, but I'm not holding her back an entire year as I don't think she's that far behind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Jontu what state do you live in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I am in nsw. Ds will turn 5 in July and kindy is the first year of compulsory formal schooling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I am in nsw. Ds will turn 5 in July and kindy is the first year of compulsory formal schooling. I have the option to start him 1 year later.