+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    This is interesting, Finland is often lauded as having the best school system in the world and kids do not start school until 7.

http://www.businessinsider.com/finla...1-12?op=1&IR=T
    It is. I would like to know what they do with their kids until then. I'd wager they have a very high level of quality childcare available more broadly than we have in Australia.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I know year 1 is the second year of school. I have 3 kids at school.

I thought your last para to the pp saying good luck finding a principal supportive was a bit harsh which was why I was pointing out that my niece started year 1 when she was 5. Otherwise why would the pp need luck? If she was starting prep when her child was 5 that would be in line with your views?
    As far as I'm aware, qld is like wa, you have no choice but to send your child to school at 4. That is why I genuinely wished her luck. I'm so happy to live in NSW where I have a choice otherwise my May and July children would've had to start when they were not ready.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    As far as I'm aware, qld is like wa, you have no choice but to send your child to school at 4. That is why I genuinely wished her luck. I'm so happy to live in NSW where I have a choice otherwise my May and July children would've had to start when they were not ready.
    You're still not making much sense.

And yes you can delay in Qld (according to Ashram's post above).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It is. I would like to know what they do with their kids until then. I'd wager they have a very high level of quality childcare available more broadly than we have in Australia.
    I'm sure they go to a form of preschool, it's more that they believe children learn best through play in the early years and are not ready to learn in a more structured setting until older.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (29-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think I've read somewhere that ACT moved towards the European model where kids start a bit later. Though preschool is free in all state schools, so that helps. It's preschool, then kindy, then year 1 all done at the one school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    You're still not making much sense.

And yes you can delay in Qld (according to Ashram's post above).
    Which part doesn't make sense? I don't know what you mean.

It is very difficult to delay your child in Queensland. Not impossible but some schools require lots of "evidence" to support a delayed start. Just read prep will be compulsory in qld in 2017. If parents don't send their child to prep then they usually have to go straight to year 1, missing out on prep.

I don't really know how else to explain it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I'm sure they go to a form of preschool, it's more that they believe children learn best through play in the early years and are not ready to learn in a more structured setting until older.
    There are schools like that in Australia but usually private or schools which are not considered main******. My son's school is an International Baccalaureate school so they run on a different model of learning. No desks in classrooms in junior and the learning model is quite different too.

Some of the state schools in Melbourne we looked at sending the girls before we moved to WA also had no reading or writing before year 2. It can be hard making the choice to send your child to a school like that when they aren't the norm here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Which part doesn't make sense? I don't know what you mean.

It is very difficult to delay your child in Queensland. Not impossible but some schools require lots of "evidence" to support a delayed start. Just read prep will be compulsory in qld in 2017. If parents don't send their child to prep then they usually have to go straight to year 1, missing out on prep.

I don't really know how else to explain it
    Why did you say good luck finding a principal who will accept your 5 year old? I just don't understand what you meant by that if its in fact the norm?

I'm not meaning to drag this out. I'm perplexed by that statement.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (28-01-2016),LoveLivesHere  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Parents with kids starting school at less than 5yo

Why did you say good luck finding a principal who will accept your 5 year old? I just don't understand what you meant by that if its in fact the norm?

I'm not meaning to drag this out. I'm perplexed by that statement.
    I didn't say good luck, I said hopefully she could find a principal who would support her in her decision to send her 5 year old to prep, as opposed to missing prep and going straight to year 1 as a 5 year old. She doesn't want to send her 4 year old to prep but rather wait a year so given it can be difficult to delay children in qld, I was genuinely hoping she could find a school that supports her choice.

Really this shouldn't even be an issue the discussion I mean

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I didn't say good luck, I said hopefully she could find a principal who would support her in her decision to send her 5 year old to prep, as opposed to missing prep and going straight to year 1 as a 5 year old. She doesn't want to send her 4 year old to prep but rather wait a year so given it can be difficult to delay children in qld, I was genuinely hoping she could find a school that supports her choice.

Really this shouldn't even be an issue the discussion I mean
    That's not how I read her post.

Anyway back to topic. I think we can move on from this.