+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This whole thing just seems crazily confusing? In WA there are no options of holding back, so there is never a chance of there being a 18mth discrepancy in ages in any school year group. The cutoff is June 30...so all kids in Pre - Primary (the compulsory year before yr1) are aged 4.5-5.5. Kindy (year before Pre primary) is available in the govt system for 2.5days a week for all children 3.5 to 4.5.
    Most team sports here work on school year not birth year so children play with their school age counterparts.
    Just seems unnecessarily complicated in other parts of Australia. ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I delayed my DD1 who started this week and recently turned 6 - she has friends the same age who are going in to Grade 1 so I understand the questioning of what to do.

I was recommended by my DD1's Speech Therapist to delay back in 2014 and after seeking advice from numerous primary school teachers and her kinder teacher - she repeated 4 year old kinder. I can see it was the best decision for my child.

I copped a lot of flack from my Mum and MIL especially as this was unheard of back in the day - but I didn't want risking my daughter being held back a grade at school as I feel there is a stigma attached when this happens. However our Speech Therapist actually mentioned that there tends to be a trend now of not repeating kids because it can be detrimental to the child who sees all their peers moving on - therefore the child struggles their whole schooling career - I just couldn't risk that for my child.

From this thread alone, it appears our states are all out of whack - but I would definately think twice if I had an April-Jul baby and sending them at 4.5 - you have to ask yourself why would SA, ACT and VIC have a 30 April cutoff ? (Rehetorical question) - there has to be a reason as to why they've come to this decision.

I will say that in Victoria, it is very difficult to repeat 4 year old kinder for a government funded position- so you
    have to make the call early on (2-3 years old) which can be incredibly hard to do.

Thankfully my other kids are born in the mid to later part of the year so I don't have to worry - it's a relief!

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    This to me says the problem is more so that the kids who are held back are causing the issue with those who are not. As I've said in a PP 8if every child were to start when they were supposed to and no one was held off there would only be a 12 month age gap at most.

Not enough has been said about the impacts of too many parents holding their kids back on the other kids who still start on time (according to the State's rules)

My DD as I've mentioned will e at the younger end of the scale and I'm not sure her pen holding and drawing / writing skills will be there, but there's no way in hell I'm holding her off until 2018 to start school just because she might be in a class with other kids who were purposely held back and are quite a bit older.
    I actually think it's a combination of issues. Even without 'holding back', now we've moved to one intake in reception in SA, a child born on April 30 can start school at 4 years 8/9ish months and a child born on May 1st will be 5 years and 8/9ish months when they start.

That's a huge difference in maturity, and doesn't even factor in composite classes.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    6 months doesn't seem much but when you think of 6 months in the life of a 4.5 year old - that's 1/9 of their existance at that point - that's a lot.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    18 months is even a greater percentage for a 4.5 year old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That percentage gets smaller as the kids get older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    The percentage may get smaller as kids get older, however when they start hitting puberty the age differences become quite pronounced and are very noticeable. Actually I've noticed it starting around year 4 or 5.

I've experienced it from the opposite side of the fence with one of mine - she matured and went through puberty well before her friends - she suddenly was not on the same wavelength anymore and felt "too old" compared to her friends as they suddenly lost common interests, nothing to talk about etc.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 28-01-2016 at 19:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    The percentage may get smaller as kids get older, however when they start hitting puberty the age differences become quite pronounced and are very noticeable. Actually I've noticed it starting around year 4 or 5.

I've seen the opposite happen with one of mine - she matured and went through puberty well before her friends - she suddenly was not on the same wavelength anymore and felt "too old" compared to her friends as they suddenly lost common interests, nothing to talk about etc.
    But to be fair that can happen at any age really.

There's only so much you can factor into the decision when you send a child to school. I was one of the oldest in my years and my sister was one of the youngest. Made no difference whatsoever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    It does, but that doesn't change its effect on early childhood development.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

delirium  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    This whole thing just seems crazily confusing? In WA there are no options of holding back, so there is never a chance of there being a 18mth discrepancy in ages in any school year group. The cutoff is June 30...so all kids in Pre - Primary (the compulsory year before yr1) are aged 4.5-5.5. Kindy (year before Pre primary) is available in the govt system for 2.5days a week for all children 3.5 to 4.5.
    Most team sports here work on school year not birth year so children play with their school age counterparts.
    Just seems unnecessarily complicated in other parts of Australia. ...
    I too am a tad confused at what the rules are regarding delaying in Qld. We have the same structure where the cutoff is 30 June and 3.5-4.5 go to kindy and 4.5-5.5 go to prep (grade before year 1). DD1 is a May baby so will be due to start kindy next year and will be 3.5, and will start school at 4.5.

Without having read the whole thread/opinions, do people have the option to delay in qld on a regular basis (ie without getting permission from school etc). We don't have plans to delay but the thought of her having to go to class with children substantially older than her if they have been kept back is concerning.