+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    But please let's not forget that not all kids will be 12 m older. There will be some born Jan - mar whose parents will start them before they are 5 and therefore less than 6m gap.
    Those born at the end of the year will also be less than 12m difference.

And people keep saying I am focusing on academics but the examples of how they struggle against older kids is around how they are able to learn, the classroom environment etc.
    Yes, you're right re the age. However, my November born child is the 5th youngest in the year. One child is three days younger, and the youngest children are March babies. I'm good friends with one of those kids mum's and she has said how she wishes she waited, because her daughter doesn't cope with things as well as the other kids. The difference in maturity didn't come until year 2, but it's there...and it's still there, and there are issues surrounding it (she has friends, it's more to do with how she behaves to try and fit in with the older kids).
    None of my children are in classes with kids that are born in July and started at 4.5 years. The youngest in ALL of their classes are March babies, so at best you're (potentially, based on my experience) looking at a 4 month age gap between your son and the second youngest kid in the class. And that's the youngest, not all of them. Most of them will sit somewhere between 6-12 months older. I struggle to understand the rush (if daycare fees are taken out of the equation), when that extra year at home would put your son nicely in the middle of the class age wise. But...your child, your choice of course.
    You could ask how many kids are 4 turning 5 in kindergarten this year at your school, and gauge where your DS will sit a bit better?
    Last edited by Full House; 28-01-2016 at 15:59.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Parents with kids starting school at less than 5yo

Chiming in late but have been reading along.

My eldest child started school before 5 as an April baby. I was uncertain but had no choice as his commencement at school was court ordered - care of his dad (who didn't want to pay Childcare fees on his days with him!).

His age and especially his social maturity (or immaturity really) followed him through until he finished school. He hit puberty later than the other boys, so didn't get his growth spurt until mid year 11. He wasn't able to play sport with his school mates as they were all in the grade above him. When the other boys were all girl mad he was clueless. By the time he caught up he was embarrassed by the fact he's never had a girlfriend.

I would always wait based on my personal experience.

Edit - I would say with all honesty he is really only now hitting his stride socially at almost 21. It has taken him years to get over being out of step with his peers.
    Last edited by binnielici; 28-01-2016 at 16:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sorry to derail but My son was born early April so this thread got me thinking.

Did I read correctly that kids starting prep this year in VIC could be born anytime between May 2010 and April 2011?

But since some parents are free to delay the starting year by 1 year effectively this year, kids in prep could be born anytime between May 2009 and April 2011?

Surely I got it wrong? 😳

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Sorry to derail but My son was born early April so this thread got me thinking.

Did I read correctly that kids starting prep this year in VIC could be born anytime between May 2010 and April 2011?

But since some parents are free to delay the starting year by 1 year effectively this year, kids in prep could be born anytime between May 2009 and April 2011?

Surely I got it wrong?
    I think it will be from Jan 2010 & Apr 2011. All the 2009 babies would have started by the year they turned 6 - which would be the previous year. So Apr onwards utomatically start the year they turn 6. Jan-apr can start thr year they turn 5 or the year they turn 6.

ETA - sorry,the info I gave is for SA with an apr cut off. Im not sure of vic?But if it is a july cutoff,the ages would be from Jan 2010 & July 2011,which is why there was mention previously of an 18month age gap.
    Last edited by cheeeeesecake; 28-01-2016 at 16:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I think it will be from Jan 2010 & Apr 2011. All the 2009 babies would have started by the year they turned 6 - which would be the previous year. So Apr onwards utomatically start the year they turn 6. Jan-apr can start thr year they turn 5 or the year they turn 6.

ETA - sorry,the info I gave is for SA with an apr cut off. Im not sure of vic?But if it is a july cutoff,the ages would be from Jan 2010 & July 2011,which is why there was mention previously of an 18month age gap.
    That makes sense thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is 4 turning 5 this year in march. we are in vic.

we sent him to kinder (4yo) last year with plans that he would start school this year(prep).

However, he is returning to 4yo kinder this year and will start prep at primary school next year.

he was the youngest in his class last year. the cutoff was 30 april 2011 for 4yo kinder last year....so he only scraped in by a few weeks.

initially when they suggested we pull him out last year and send him this year i was offended and upset as we, and childcare , felt he was ready, but after seeing him there towards the end of last year with his peers it was obvious he wasn't ready. I'm glad we chose to repeat kinder, i look at him now and he's not ready for school.

I'm fairly certain bubs born 1st may - 31st december automatically start when they're 4, where as bubs born 1st jan-30april can decide to start at 3 turning 4, or 4 turning 5. You would also pick up the jan-april babies who are delayed.

So last year wouldve had all the 2010 babies, and any 3 turning 4 2011 bubs.

this year is all 2011 bubs and. any jan-april 2012 bubs.
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 28-01-2016 at 16:58.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (28-01-2016),ExcuseMyFrench  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So the cut off for kids in NSW is July 31? In Act it's April 30th. Parents of kids born in feb-april usually only send them if they are really ready, boys especially start the following year.

Now I can see how there could be an 18 month age gap. One child could be 4 and not turn 5 till July, and another child could turn 6 in Feb or March. That seems to be a big gap and if the trend is to wait, then wouldn't there only be a very few kids going who are born in May/June/July, especially if even schools advice against it? It's so confusing to parents especially when there are trends to follow.

I'd imagine for boys and say sport, it would make a difference when you've got some boys that are 18 in the beginning of year 12 and a few that are still 16 for half of year 12. That would mean they wouldn't turn 18 till second semester uni wouldn't it? Doesn't that seem like quite a disadvantage against their peers? I.e. Starting year 7 as an 11 year old when some of the other boys would turn 13 in the beginning of the year? That makes a big difference in puberty.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    So you think before Feb is a Grey area. Do you think 6 months (feb-july) really makes a difference ?

I myself was a may baby who started at 4.5.
    Pretty much finished all the work before the other kids in the class so the teacher either gave me a few extra questions to do or let me go to the front of the class to play. I am not claiming to be a genius or anything like that. What I am saying is that age alone cannot determine whether he will struggle with learning at school.
    And a - squared made a good point about kids getting bored. That should be considered too. Isn't that why some kids get moved up a grade?
    I definitely think 6 months make a difference, kids change and develop so frequently and so much during their early childhood years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I think the rule should be nation wide that all kids must be 5 on the day they start the first year of primary school. If they turn 5 the day after, bad luck!

Then if say 5% of people delay their 5 year olds there would only be 1-2 kids per 30 pupil class who is vastly older than the bulk of the students, thus eliminating such big age gaps and maturity levels etc

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (28-01-2016),Clementine Grace  (28-01-2016),ExcuseMyFrench  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I think the rule should be nation wide that all kids must be 5 on the day they start the first year of primary school. If they turn 5 the day after, bad luck!

Then if say 5% of people delay their 5 year olds there would only be 1-2 kids per 30 pupil class who is vastly older than the bulk of the students, thus eliminating such big age gaps and maturity levels etc
    We definitely need a nationwide rule for school entry and cut offs. A nationwide system for school leavers results and university entry instead of the current state based system would be incredibly useful as well.

I was hopeful both would be implemented in conjunction with the National Curriculum.

Would life so much easier for families who move interstate.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (28-01-2016),Tinkers  (28-01-2016)