+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    Totally agree - SA has an end of apr cut off. Jan-apr can choose to send at 4 turning 5, or 5 turning 6. For me, feb-apr is the grey area,but I woild personally always choose older - why make them struggle by being to young if they dont have to?

Also, starting early isnt the norm/ following the rules, & keeping back isnt breaking the rules (to a pp). Children have to start school by the year they turn 6. No earlier. So starting earlier IS the parents choice, but waiting until they are 6 is an equally ok choice. It does mean that I would teach kids with 1 yr 4 months potential age difference in SA. I would prefer the cut off to be end of march instead of april. Waiting until the child is 6 is not 'holding them back'. Its waiting until they are ready.

Also,if a child is 'bored' (I hate that word!) - if their academic level is not catered to, it is the teachers responsibility to ensure the individual child is catered to across all learning areas. Usually a class wouls have around 3-5 'groups' for different subject areas, particularly reading and spelling. The top group may only have 2 or 3 children in it if need be. Children are rarely 'skipped'these days - it is only ever recommended if the child is working significantly above the year ABOVE them,so must be around 2 years ahead in all areas, including socially and emotionally, to be 'skipped'.
    My oldest is a smart cookie, so during primary years, once they had finished the school work for that year, the teacher just handed out more advanced work while the other kids finished. Socially and emotionally on par with peers, it was just academically that they jumped ahead. The teachers dealt with it beautifully. Plus we have a school with heaps of composite classes in it, so there was exposure to the 'upper grades' work without it being an obvious 'you're doing more advanced work than your peers.' Interestingly enough, my child was behind their peers in infants school, but then it all just clicked and it was like a steam roll effect from there. On the other hand, my friend's daughter who was an extremely smart pre-schooler (and there were serious concerns about her being bored at school) seemed to stall halfway through kindergarten...and whilst she isn't struggling, she is just above average in the class, and has stayed that way for years.
    Last edited by Full House; 28-01-2016 at 13:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    There's a book called Outliers which has a lot to do with the increase of people having kids do another year of kinder. As an educator I would always advocate for 2 years at kinder however, my son is born in January and he'll definitely be ready so I'm going to go against my own professional opinion because it's what's best for him and his educational journey.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just to put it out there what becomes of the kids who are Feb birthdays who don't do any pre-schooling before big school as their parents both work and the only option is long day care?
    Are we setting them up for failure sending them at that point?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmumm View Post
    Just to put it out there what becomes of the kids who are Feb birthdays who don't do any pre-schooling before big school as their parents both work and the only option is long day care?
    Most daycare would offer a preschool program I assume?

I know the 2 daycares my kids have attended have had preschool programs for children who are going to school the following year.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Mmumm  (28-01-2016),VicPark  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmumm View Post
    Don't long day cares have pre-school programs? My kids went to a mix of pre-school and long day care, and the only difference in 'school readiness' between the two was that the ones who went to pre-school went to the feeder school for their pre-school so knew more of the kids that they were starting school with.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Mmumm  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Most daycare would offer a preschool program I assume?

I know the 2 daycares my kids have attended have had preschool programs for children who are going to school the following year.
    Of course they must. Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Of course. There is CCR for before and after school though.

DS2 won't be going to a flash private school. School fees + before and after school is still a heck of a lot cheaper than daycare for us.

I don't know any parent who would yank their kid from daycare and put them into school JUST to save money.
    I've spoken to 2 preschool/early primary teachers about this issue as i have an April baby who is 10 days off the cuttoff and they've both said that the main reason parents put their kids in early is because they don't want to pay another year of daycare. I know a few people who are sending their kids, against advice and they just figure if they repeat, it saves on a year of daycare. So it is def a consideration for some people.

Every school I've enquired about (in Canberra) has said that they strongly suggest with a March or April baby, to wait till the following year, especially for boys.

I think it's all well and good to say the child might be mature enough etc. for kindy but I'd personally rather them be bored for a year (even though there are so many things you can do with them) rather than always be the youngest and likely smallest boy all through school. I've considered all of this as I have an a April baby but the overwhelming advice from everywhere, including a lot of teachers is not to send him early so that's what I'll do.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (28-01-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have nephews and nieces who never went to daycare or preschool and have done really well in school both academic and socially. I think we need to give kids more credit. For most school is not that complicated or intense. School can be a really enjoyable experience and if you think about composite classes well doesn't that means younger kids are with older kids?

Thanks
    Reviews
    And some people don't like the term "Holding back". So why is sending a child within the school cutoff considered "sending early". Both could be termed "when child is ready". Anyway don't mean to nitpick words just find it frustrating when people say they are not holding back and in the same time using the term sending early.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    In my experience Composite class work well for the smart kids in the lower grade and struggling kids (for that year only) in the higher grade. If your a struggling kid in the lower grade your screwed. If you smart kid in the higher grade your bored sh1tless and can lose interest in school altogether.
    So yeah composite class bring a whole new world of issues.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (28-01-2016),VicPark  (28-01-2016)