+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I don't know any parent who would yank their kid from daycare and put them into school JUST to save money.
    I can think of several off the top off my head. I even had one mother tell me she expected her daughter to have to repeat at some point, but she didn't want to pay to have two kid sin daycare anymore, so she was just going to send her anyway.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Parents with kids starting school at less than 5yo

Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    This to me says the problem is more so that the kids who are held back are causing the issue with those who are not. As I've said in a PP 8if every child were to start when they were supposed to and no one was held off there would only be a 12 month age gap at most.

Not enough has been said about the impacts of too many parents holding their kids back on the other kids who still start on time (according to the State's rules)

My DD as I've mentioned will e at the younger end of the scale and I'm not sure her pen holding and drawing / writing skills will be there, but there's no way in hell I'm holding her off until 2018 to start school just because she might be in a class with other kids who were purposely held back and are quite a bit older.
    Totally agree. Don't hold your kid back just to accommodate a trend or philosophy. Go by their readiness signs.
    Last edited by VicPark; 28-01-2016 at 13:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    "Holding kids back" is just a term. We all know what that means and it is used by many parents who decide to wait until their kids are turning 6. It's not being said in a negative way nor meant to have negative connotations.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (28-01-2016),Full House  (28-01-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    This to me says the problem is more so that the kids who are held back are causing the issue with those who are not. As I've said in a PP 8if every child were to start when they were supposed to and no one was held off there would only be a 12 month age gap at most.

Not enough has been said about the impacts of too many parents holding their kids back on the other kids who still start on time (according to the State's rules)

My DD as I've mentioned will e at the younger end of the scale and I'm not sure her pen holding and drawing / writing skills will be there, but there's no way in hell I'm holding her off until 2018 to start school just because she might be in a class with other kids who were purposely held back and are quite a bit older.
    In NSW, there is no "supposed to" you can choose to send your child the year they turn 5 provided they turn 5 before August 1 or you can choose to keep them home another year. That is the state's rules here in NSW. Anybody who doesn't send their child are still complying with rules as you have mentioned.

Interestingly, if the op was in your state, this wouldn't even be a debate as the cut off is 30th April so she would have no choice but to keep him in daycare for another year.

And on the point that you say that too many parents are keeping their kids home. That is rubbish. Majority of parents do not keep their kids home another year. It is something that is increasing in certain areas/suburbs. Majority of which are educated and middle to high income earners.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    . It is something that is increasing in certain areas/suburbs. Majority of which are educated and middle to high income earners.
    I could be wrong here however is that the same demographics for the anti vax hot spots?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    I'm in NSW, so no one is 'holding their kid back.' The rule is that they must be enrolled in school the year they turn 6. It's just that the cut off is that the child must turn 5 by a certain date (which varies anywhere from end of March to end of July)...I haven't looked in to this at all, but my guess is that parents started sending their kids at 4.5 instead of 5.5 because my research has been done on the subject since the 80's (when I started school and kids just started the year they made the cut off without any real thought process involved) and before that, and it has been realised that, generally speaking, children do better starting school the year turn 6, and not 5.
    What you do with your child is completely up to you...from memory you said your daughter is a Feb baby, and that's a big grey area IMO. I would 110% support an end of March cut off period for school...as it helps reduce the possible 18 month age gap between school kids, so that all kids start on time (IMO starting at 4.5 is early, starting at 5.5 is on time, not late).
    Totally agree - SA has an end of apr cut off. Jan-apr can choose to send at 4 turning 5, or 5 turning 6. For me, feb-apr is the grey area,but I woild personally always choose older - why make them struggle by being to young if they dont have to?

Also, starting early isnt the norm/ following the rules, & keeping back isnt breaking the rules (to a pp). Children have to start school by the year they turn 6. No earlier. So starting earlier IS the parents choice, but waiting until they are 6 is an equally ok choice. It does mean that I would teach kids with 1 yr 4 months potential age difference in SA. I would prefer the cut off to be end of march instead of april. Waiting until the child is 6 is not 'holding them back'. Its waiting until they are ready.

Also,if a child is 'bored' (I hate that word!) - if their academic level is not catered to, it is the teachers responsibility to ensure the individual child is catered to across all learning areas. Usually a class wouls have around 3-5 'groups' for different subject areas, particularly reading and spelling. The top group may only have 2 or 3 children in it if need be. Children are rarely 'skipped'these days - it is only ever recommended if the child is working significantly above the year ABOVE them,so must be around 2 years ahead in all areas, including socially and emotionally, to be 'skipped'.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Full House  (28-01-2016),HollyGolightly81  (28-01-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I had my drivers licence for the 2nd half of year 12. It was awesome. I drove to every party and never ever drank as a result. I wasn't allowed to drive with any other person in the car for 4 months but after that I did.

I drove to and from school every day. I loved having my licence.
    I had my licence and a car for the whole of year 12 and it was so awssome. I could take passengers too so drove friends to and from school, it was the best! We went to a selective school which for me took two buses and a train to get to, so it was a very welcome change.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Of course. There is CCR for before and after school though.

DS2 won't be going to a flash private school. School fees + before and after school is still a heck of a lot cheaper than daycare for us.

I don't know any parent who would yank their kid from daycare and put them into school JUST to save money.
    Are you a teacher or do you work in child care? Because I know a lot of people who sent their kids to school because they didn't want to play daycare fees.

So is it a catholic school you're sending your kids to?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could be wrong here however is that the same demographics for the anti vax hot spots?
    Not sure.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Parents with kids starting school at less than 5yo

Just a quick google states that the hot spot in NSW is northern NSW and isolated areas that don't have access to medical facilities.

ETA - I wouldn't say these areas in NSW are affluent or highly educated. Can't say the same for other states.