+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    * Not aimed at the Op - just keeping on with the general discussion of the thread*

I forgot about this before (as this child is now in highschool, so it's been a while), but one of my friend's sent her son to school at 4 with a May birthday...daycare said he was ready, at school orientation that said he'd be fine for kindergarten, big driving force behind the parent's decision was daycare fees.
    Cue end of kindergarten - academically, going fine, but he was one of 5 boys who needed to repeat kindergarten...why? Because their peers were 12-18 months older than them, and maturity wise they just hadn't kept up (simply because they were 12-18 months younger, not because they were particularly immature). 2nd year of kindergarten went great...said child thrived.
    Then year one came...that child spent his whole year telling his parents he was too dumb for year one and needed to go back to kindergarten. The emotional impact of repeating kindergarten on this kid was HUGE. He spent the whole year struggling emotionally. His parents found it really exhausting and it took a lot of extra resources to get him through year one. Got him through year one, and he had similar issues through year 2, believing he needed to re-do year one.
    In the end, he had to change schools to be able to overcome his feelings that he wasn't good enough to be in the years he was currently at. So hard on everyone involved, and had he just started a year older he never would have had to have gone through it. Who knows if those intense feelings of doubt will return once he hits the later years of highschool/university/work promotions etc.
    I've heard the same from a friend who kept their child back after telling them about starting kindy the next year for the previous 6 months then they had to tell their son that no sorry you aren't going to school anymore. He felt the same anxiety and couldn't understand why his friends from his mums group that were the same age were going to kindy and why he wasn't.

So whether your child repeats a year or is held back, the child could still experience some anxiety.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I'm not offended or frustrated at all, it's not my child's education we are talking about. But I do feel sorry for kids who get sent to school so parents don't have to pay daycare fees. That's not the right reason to send your child to school.

As somebody pointed out earlier - daycare and even preschool are vastly different to school. They are play based. 4 year old boys should be playing. Not sitting in a classroom for hours a day. The op also said the teachers at the school her son is going to expressed concern over his age.
    The OP has already said Childcare fees weren't the only reason - more a bonus of sending him this year. So it's not as you put it.

Also those teachers as qualified as they may be to say he's too young as generally kids that age struggle, they obviously haven't spent as much time with him as his parents or kindy/pre-school teachers and their opinions would carry more weight than 2 teachers who don't know the child very well.

Also, do you (not you but collective you) not think that that the July cut off has been created by those who have consulted teachers and teaching experts? Why would a state government make a July cut off if most kids would struggle at that age?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (28-01-2016),Jontu  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Parents with kids starting school at less than 5yo

I'll probably regret writing this as this thread is getting a little well bubhub-ey, but, surely there are also consequences for holding back a child who really is ready for school. Wouldn't they get bored at daycare and potentially start acting up?

I recall DSS daycare carers saying that he was playing up a lot the few months leading up to school as he was bored and quite ready to move on.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 28-01-2016 at 07:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I'll probably regret writing this as his thread it is getting a little well bubhub-ey, but, surely there are also consequences for holding back a child who really is ready for school. Wouldn't they get bored at daycare and potentially start acting up?

I recall DSS daycare carers saying that he was playing up a lot the few months leading up to school as he was bored and quite ready to move on.
    But a few months of being bored and ready to move on, which then meant he was definitely ready for school, is a bit different than struggling because you are not emotionally mature enough to handle school. I'd rather my DS be bored for a couple months than continue to struggle or only *just* cope because he wasn't mature enough to move on.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    But a few months of being bored and ready to move on, which then meant he was definitely ready for school, is a bit different than struggling because you are not emotionally mature enough to handle school. I'd rather my DS be bored for a couple months than continue to struggle or only *just* cope because he wasn't mature enough to move on.
    This! My dd1 is turning 6 this year and has been bored these past few months. She starts kindergarten in ACT on Monday.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    The OP has already said Childcare fees weren't the only reason - more a bonus of sending him this year. So it's not as you put it.
    ?
    For 2 kids... For 1/3 of the year when CCR runs out I will be paying $2,000 per fortnight (out of pocket). This won't be the determining factor in sending my children to school however if I think my kids are ready for school then hell yeah I will be happy about saving $$$

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    A reason DH just realized he had for thinking maybe it is best to start DS later? Apparently statistics show that boys are more likely to be drafted to the AFL if they turn 18 in year 12....😏😂

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

amyd  (28-01-2016),babyno1onboard  (28-01-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I'll probably regret writing this as this thread is getting a little well bubhub-ey, but, surely there are also consequences for holding back a child who really is ready for school. Wouldn't they get bored at daycare and potentially start acting up?

Isn't this why kids do preschool in the year before school though?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Yes but it can also continue through their school years if they are always ahead. This is just from my experience at school - I was so so bored because I found the work too easy and kept getting in trouble for disrupting the other kids. When we moved overseas I was put up a grade and was far more stimulated. Anyway, just another view point.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (28-01-2016),Jontu  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Isn't this why kids do preschool in the year before school though?
    This was the transition from daycare (with a kindy program) to Prep. There is no preschool in Qld.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-01-2016)