+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks everyone. I believe he is ready. He is our second child and at 4.5yo I am far more comfortable sending him than I was with my dd who was 6months older than he was when she started kindy.
    He has been pretty much full time daycare for 2 years and his chikdcare teacher assured me he was ready and mature for his age.
    I guess the 60 minutes story and talking to other parents has made me second guess myself. I will see how he goes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD2 started at 4, while DD1 started at 5. And I could tell the little differences between them. However, despite my initial worries, DD2 excelled. She loved the challenge. I would say by the third month in prep she was doing just as well as DD1 was. She's in year 2 this year and I have no concerns. She's able to cope just as well as DD1 did. I think only you can know how they are going and our school offered a stay back and repeat program for the kids that started at age 4, but she didn't need it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Balfour For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (25-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Parents with kids starting school at less than 5yo

This is an interesting topic. I don't think we have a choice in the matter? All children between 4.5 and 5.5 will start this year regardless I thought?

My DS just turned 5 and he seemed to well at kindy so I'm not too worried.

Edit to add that I'm in WA.
    Last edited by ArthurDent; 25-01-2016 at 09:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first child will be 5y8 m the day he starts,
    Hes June second. He could have went at 4y8 m, he was not emotionally or socially ready to be in school,
    Depends entirely on the child, everyone I know has kept their boys back if possible

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDent View Post
    This is an interesting topic. I don't think we have a choice in the matter? All children between 4.5 and 5.5 will start this year regardless I thought?

My DS just turned 5 and he seemed to well at kindy so I'm not too worried.
    That's my understanding in WA. I was so worried about DD2 I asked her kindy teacher who basically said now she's started she cannot be held back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our DD started at 4 (turning 5 in may). IMO it all depends on the child. I was pretty much ready to send her the year before (ok, exaggeration, but you get my drift). She's just finished year 1 and is flying academically. She's always been physically strong and confident so that was never going to be an issue and is 6 going on 12 so the social/emotional side is also fine. But again, we knew her and there was no way we were going to hold her back, she was more than ready.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    That's my understanding in WA. I was so worried about DD2 I asked her kindy teacher who basically said now she's started she cannot be held back.
    Yes I have friends who have desperately wanted to hold their child back and it's been a very clear no.

At our primary school they are doing a split kindy/pre primary class this year. So the young ones who struggled in kindy last year will be in this class to have another year to catch up a little.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In QLD the cut of is 30 July so half the class will be less than 5 when they start prep which makes me thinks is pretty normal/standard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    I really feel for the teachers in the junior school classes. DD1's class in kindy and preprimary had a lot of kids who were clearly not ready for school. It was awful for her as she was clearly struggling with school and the disruptive behaviour of many of the kids meant she became more and more withdrawn. The teachers were clearly feeling the strain.

I never understood why they changed the age from 5 by 31 January to 5 by 30 June (which is the date in WA).

Does anyone know?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (25-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    In QLD the cut of is 30 July so half the class will be less than 5 when they start prep which makes me thinks is pretty normal/standard.
    30 June I think.