+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd be guided by your teacher/school. They'll do a school readiness interview around enrolment time and then give you feedback on that. If they think that he's ready to start (in conjunction with his current kindy/daycare teacher's advice) then I'd go ahead. If they suggest holding back then follow that.

Its also very different state to state. In Qld its less common to hold back - DS was in prep last year and the majority of the class were 4 turning 5 (or just turned 5) with only a couple of kids a year older. I have family in NSW and VIC and they have said that its the opposite in their experience - most people start their kids a year later so that becomes the norm.

But ultimately, I'd be heavily swayed by the school's advice on this issue.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Jontu  (27-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Parents with kids starting school at less than 5yo

I know your son is starting tomorrow but something that occurred to me today when we were looking at class lists is that there can be up to a 2 year age gap in a class, especially in public schools where you have some 1/2 classes or 3/4 classes or 5/6 classes. If your son is in year 1 in a 1/2 class then he could be two or more years younger than a year 2 kid. That is a big gap in development and maturity.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 27-01-2016 at 21:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the school readiness interview in May ds would have been around 4yo.
    The principal and teacher both said that they felt his age would be a concern as he would be very young especially compared to the other kids.
    However in terms of the test, she said he was advanced for his age.

The principal said ds could answer the questions well and he was able to pay attention and did seem more mature than other 4 yo he interviewed.

2 of his daycare teachers feel he would definitely be ready. One of the teachers also taught my dd and raised her concerns that dd may struggle socially but ds she said was completely different and he would be absolutely fine. This is why I value her judgment that she would tell me if she had any doubts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    At the school readiness interview in May ds would have been around 4yo.
    The principal and teacher both said that they felt his age would be a concern as he would be very young especially compared to the other kids.
    However in terms of the test, she said he was advanced for his age.

The principal said ds could answer the questions well and he was able to pay attention and did seem more mature than other 4 yo he interviewed.

2 of his daycare teachers feel he would definitely be ready. One of the teachers also taught my dd and raised her concerns that dd may struggle socially but ds she said was completely different and he would be absolutely fine. This is why I value her judgment that she would tell me if she had any doubts.
    Is he going to catholic school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it is a Catholic school. Only 2 classes per year so it's a small school. He also has some kids from his daycare going to the same school and will also know some of the kids in the year above.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes it is a Catholic school. Only 2 classes per year so it's a small school. He also has some kids from his daycare going to the same school and will also know some of the kids in the year above.
    Yeh, I assumed it was public at first but a public school wouldn't do a school readiness interview anyway, especially not in May.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here is another thing to think about.
    I was one of the youngest of my year! In school sporting days (swimming/athletic carnivals, I made my patents let me take these days off) we were teamed the year we were born so I was never with my friends.
    year 11 I ended up having to catch the bus by myself as all my friends started to get their P's. And in year
    12 there were only certain 18th birthdays I could go to!

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my experience daycare/pre school teachers tell you if your child is ready for kindergarten...they don't see the struggles that occur throughout the primary years like teachets do. Teachers at your son's school expressed their concerns about his age...badically no one in here has said it will be fine (except one who lives in a different state, and said that most kids start older in NSW). People you have spoken to in your life have raised concerns
    I'm really not sure why you are still gun ho about sending him based on two daycare teachers when everyone else has suggested his age has a huge potential to be a problem as his schooling years go on? You don't have to explain yourself (I am not expecting an answer), I'm just a bit surprised that you started this thread because you were having doubts, basically no one has told you to go for it because it will be fine, but you continue to justify why it will be okay...and maybe it will, but I'm not sure what the point of this thread was if I'm honest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started this thread asking for experiences from parents who have sent their kids before they turned 5. The first few replies came from parents who did. Some said their kids are doing great and some said they wished they had waited.
    I also asked for experience from teachers. Sure all the teachers who replied on here have said it's better to wait. Thing is they said most kids struggle. Not all. So who can tell me for certain my son will struggle?
    So many times people say trust your instincts you know your child. Like I said I had doubts bc so many people around me are holding their kids back. People around have not raised concerns specifically about my son. Then seeing the 60 min interview made me doubt myself bc of the future teenage years.

Anyway that's why I started this thread. I was happy with my decision and only came back to reply bc some subsequent questions.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

I am just generalising here but want to ask has primary school changed a lot compared to 30 years ago? I don't remember getting much homework at all from my primary school days and a lot of the time it was fun and plenty of playtime.
    Meant to respond to this. But yes! It has changed a lot.

Here is a link to the literacy continuum. In the first year of school, children are expected to reach cluster 4.
    http://www.curriculumsupport.educati...ontin_2012.pdf
    Last edited by BigRedV; 28-01-2016 at 06:11.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (28-01-2016),Jontu  (28-01-2016)