+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I'm absolutely gobsmacked to read that there are schools that don't offer transition programs! Our reception teacher visits the following year's students at their kindy (four in the area) on three different occasions, then they do two half days and a full day at school. And we recognise this is a bare minimum transition!

Maybe some of you could approach your parent reps and suggest it? I think it puts students, families and even schools on the back foot tbh.
    I am planning on trying to attend P & C meetings this year whenever I can. DH does shift work so I won't be able to go every time but hopefully more often than not.

Once I feel comfortable enough speaking up I plan to make this suggestion. I really feel like they should have a prep orientation program. I also want to suggest they implement crunch and sip/fruit break and also allow a few minutes prior to lunch to apply sunscreen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    I am just generalising here but want to ask has primary school changed a lot compared to 30 years ago? I don't remember getting much homework at all from my primary school days and a lot of the time it was fun and plenty of playtime.
    Our school is fairly relaxed in terms of homework (which I don't do...aside from sight words/readers/jolly phonics), but school has changed heaps, yes. Kids are expected to learn a lot more earlier than we were. No naps or anything like that these days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    I am just generalising here but want to ask has primary school changed a lot compared to 30 years ago? I don't remember getting much homework at all from my primary school days and a lot of the time it was fun and plenty of playtime.
    School has changed heaps from when we were in school, it's not as play based anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Sonja, I've been thinking...did your nephew have repeat because of the way the school years are structured, i.e. the start of the school year being 1/2 year apart in Australia and the U.K. So if DS starts school here he would have to repeat half a year--if we moved back at the end of a UK school year he's have to repeat the last half of the year, if we move back at Christmas he'd have to repeat the first half. This just made me realize that if we held him back in the uk AND he had to repeat in OZ that it may put him further behind in age than what we intended 😕

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Yes he did. Which was why he was bored for most of the year as he repeated one whole year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Yes he did. Which was why he was bored for most of the year as he repeated one whole year.
    But wouldn't it only be repeating the last two terms rather than the whole year?

Typing that all out though I just realized my math may be off. If we were able to hold DS back to a 5.5 year old start in September and then moved back to melb over Christmas break then he would start school in OZ just before his 6th birthday, which is what we were intending and he would only be repeating the first two terms of the school year. Not too bad, but probably gets worse/more boring the older he gets.

All the more reason to move back before school is an issue! But, I just read that the latest he can start is the term after his 5th birthday, so they must do multiple intakes a year here and we would have to try and leave before he turns 5.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    I'm honestly not sure. It was before my kids were at school so I wasn't all that engaged with it. They moved back at the start of the year and he redid the year he was in in the UK. It was about 6 years ago now so I may be vague. He's ASD so I know my sister wasn't too worried.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (27-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I'll add though while she was initially stressed at sending him so young to full time school the actual education was brilliant she said. Very nurturing and for his ASD he was extremely well supported. Far better than anything he's recorded in Victoria since.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (27-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Teachers are the best ones to assess a child's readiness, we don't seem to value their experience and opinions though. If we have a dr or an accountant give us advice we accept that they are professionals in their field and we are not. But everyone seems to think that they know more than teachers.

Sorry just generally venting lol
    Cannot thank this enough!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsIsMe View Post
    I wouldn't count 2x 1.5hr orientation sessions as 'intensive', which is what my DD had in preparation for starting kindergarten on Friday!
    Very disappointing.