+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OP I'm in NSW and have taught K-2 for the last 13 years. I've seen it all from 4.5 year olds to 6 year olds starting school. 4.5 year olds just don't tend to cope well with school in my experience. We have huge expectations on kindy children right from the start. Out of interest do you know if your school teaches L3 for literacy? We really push them hard right from the start (not by choice, but to get their reading levels to a certain point by the end of the year). My DS2 will be turning 5 in February next year and will most likely be held back. I am concerned about him managing the expectations that we have at school when he's just turned 5. Boys in particular benefit from the extra year.

I understand you seem fairly certain about sending him but my experiences with 4.5 year olds tells me that they are definitely not ready to cope with the expectations of formal schooling.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (27-01-2016),HollyGolightly81  (27-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    On a completely unrelated note, what is your schools attendance rates like? Ours hovers around 95% which I believe is pretty good for a low socio economic area? Our Principal is quite fixated on attendence, even for prep students and actively discourages taking days off. Whereas I've heard of other schools freely allowing preps to do a half day or take the day off if they are burning out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twolittlemunchkins View Post
    Subbing.
    My ds2 starts kindy next week and is only 3.5yrs old (in WA so kindy is part time at the primary school) Here we don't have the choice to hold them back a year. If we did then I would hold him back as I'm sure he isn't ready yet, he is still so little, physically and mentally/emotionally. I'm nervous that problems will arise in a few years time and apart from extra tutoring, there will be nothing we can do as it will be his age holding him back.
    I was just saying to my hubby that I wish I didn't send my son to kindy. Even tho we can't hold them back in WA, we don't have to send them to kindy. I wish we just went straight into PP when he was 5. My son was one of the eldest being an Oct baby but he just wasn't emotionally/socially ready for kindy.

My DD is now starting kindy as one of the youngest (May baby) & she cannot wait so I am less stressed about it, however I still think she is very babyish compared to some of the other siblings I know from school who are already 4. I feel much stronger in my thinking this time round & if she doesn't cope I will take her out & she can start fresh in PP next year!

Good luck to us both!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Parents with kids starting school at less than 5yo

Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    On a completely unrelated note, what is your schools attendance rates like? Ours hovers around 95% which I believe is pretty good for a low socio economic area? Our Principal is quite fixated on attendence, even for prep students and actively discourages taking days off. Whereas I've heard of other schools freely allowing preps to do a half day or take the day off if they are burning out.
    Was this aimed at me from the other thread?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Was this aimed at me from the other thread?
    No? What other thread? I was just thinking last night about my reasons for not sending a 4yo to school and our Principal's obsession with attendence even in prep is a big part of it. I love how other schools encourage their prep students to take time off and help ease into school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post
    OP I'm in NSW and have taught K-2 for the last 13 years. I've seen it all from 4.5 year olds to 6 year olds starting school. 4.5 year olds just don't tend to cope well with school in my experience. We have huge expectations on kindy children right from the start. Out of interest do you know if your school teaches L3 for literacy? We really push them hard right from the start (not by choice, but to get their reading levels to a certain point by the end of the year). My DS2 will be turning 5 in February next year and will most likely be held back. I am concerned about him managing the expectations that we have at school when he's just turned 5. Boys in particular benefit from the extra year.

I understand you seem fairly certain about sending him but my experiences with 4.5 year olds tells me that they are definitely not ready to cope with the expectations of formal schooling.
    No, I don't know if the school teaches L3. I don't even know what that is to be honest.
    My belief that he is ready is based on my observations of him compared to his sister and what 2 daycare teachers have told me.
    He is able to sit still and concentrate.
    He can verbalize his feelings when he is upset.
    He interacts with the older kids and is able to make friends
    Because he likes copying his sister, when we did her reader he also joins in at he knows half the sight words.

You mention that you push the kids really hard and not trying to be rude in any way but it doesnt seem that way at dds school.
    The only homework she gets is a reader and a list of sight words which they do at their own pace and only hand in once they know all the words well. At the end of kindy she was on reading level 11 and the teacher says she is doing great.
    It doesn't bother me that some kids will be more advanced academically than ds when he starts because I feel he will catch up anyway and from what his daycare teachers have said he knows more than some of the older kids.

And this is in response to some of the previous comments regarding physical differences. I was also concerned about this but have thought about more and the reality is pysically yes he will be smaller but at the same time this is largely genetics. An extra year may give him a bit more height but he has always been small compared to his peers and some kids are just smaller and some are bigger regardless. I would rather teach him that it's OK and everyone is different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Our school has quite a long orientation program the year before school in the 3rd and 4th term. I believe it's a brilliant idea as it helps those who don't attend pre school (many don't as it's too expensive) but it also allows parents to get opinions from teachers. Teachers are the best ones to assess a child's readiness, we don't seem to value their experience and opinions though. If we have a dr or an accountant give us advice we accept that they are professionals in their field and we are not. But everyone seems to think that they know more than teachers.

Sorry just generally venting lol

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (27-01-2016),Chippa  (27-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Our school has quite a long orientation program the year before school in the 3rd and 4th term. I believe it's a brilliant idea as it helps those who don't attend pre school (many don't as it's too expensive) but it also allows parents to get opinions from teachers. Teachers are the best ones to assess a child's readiness, we don't seem to value their experience and opinions though. If we have a dr or an accountant give us advice we accept that they are professionals in their field and we are not. But everyone seems to think that they know more than teachers.

Sorry just generally venting lol
    Another of my issues with our school is the complete lack of orientation for preps. There is a prep info night held in October but that is directed at parents and kids are encouraged not to attend. Then nothing until a Term 1, start of school. It's ridiculous.

If our school eased up on attendance rates for prep, had a good orientation program and was less structured I would probably feel differently and may consider trying to start my DS at 4yrs 8months but they are quite rigid with their policies so nothing will change.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    Another of my issues with our school is the complete lack of orientation for preps. There is a prep info night held in October but that is directed at parents and kids are encouraged not to attend. Then nothing until a Term 1, start of school. It's ridiculous.

If our school eased up on attendance rates for prep, had a good orientation program and was less structured I would probably feel differently and may consider trying to start my DS at 4yrs 8months but they are quite rigid with their policies so nothing will change.
    This is true. The state school my kids were at had nothing either. Just wham and you're in the first day.

The private school has a really good orientation program which I think really helps.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (27-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    This is true. The state school my kids were at had nothing either. Just wham and you're in the first day.

The private school has a really good orientation program which I think really helps.
    I think it would be amazing and help a lot. I know teachers do this every year but sending your 4 or 5 year old off to school is a big deal for most parents. Orientation programs help everyone adjust to a big change.