+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't know how they get away with it in WA either. I think qld is similar as well.

I'm not sure if this is just NSW or Australia wide but we can't even refer any students with poor attendance to the liaison officer until 6 years old and by then the kids have missed too many days to make up for what has been taught.
    Prep is not compulsory in QLD. So the enforceable attendance is Year 1, when kids will either be 6 or turning 6 that year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here's a summary of the school age across states. I think in this context 'school' means Year 1.
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1453798024.351640.jpgImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1453798039.152316.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I wonder if it's because of all the states WA had to make up the most ground once the national curriculum came in? It's crazy. When we moved here preprimary still wasn't compulsory and within 2 years it went from many kids not going near school until 5/6 to all kids being forced into full time school at 4/5. I wonder if it will wind back in a few years once the schools are more in line with the eastern states. @HollyGolightly81 I'm sure you'll factor this in but my sister started her son in school at 4 in the uk and when they moved back to Melbourne she dropped him down a level and he was way ahead of the other kids and was pretty bored that year.
    Thats terrible, how frustrating. If I were a parent in WA, I would be first checking if my facts are correct, & then informing the school of the year I will be enrolling my child - and if questioned, would remind them I am legally required to send my child to school at 6 and not before. What can they do? Force me to send my child earlier? They cant argue that its truancy before age 6. Refuse to enrol them later? Also illegal because they cant refuse an education to my 6 year old. As a school teacher, I find it really frustrating to hear stories when parents have to fight for a quality, age appropriate education for their chils. If WA is struggling with the national curriculum, they need to lift their curriculum standards, not lower the intake age - whic will solve nothing - they will still be behind, because they are forcing a class of 4 year olds to learn what the rest of Australia is teaching to 5 year olds, so the students will (overall) be behind the other states in age and ability anyway!
    Sorry,rant over

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It's only my theory. Nothing to back it up with.

And it doesn't really affect me. We would have sent DD2 who is an April baby would have gone regardless of which state we were in. Same for DS who is March. My other 2 girls are August.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Prep is not compulsory in QLD. So the enforceable attendance is Year 1, when kids will either be 6 or turning 6 that year.
    This seems to have changed slightly over the years as the prep year has changed considerably now the National curriculum has come into play.

This link states that entry to prep can by delayed but it is now recommended the prep year is completed.

http://flyingstart.qld.gov.au/SiteCo...sheet-prep.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    This seems to have changed slightly over the years as the prep year has changed considerably now the National curriculum has come into play.

This link states that entry to prep can by delayed but it is now recommended the prep year is completed.

Ahh I stand corrected then! Who would have thought that Google would ever fail me?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post

There was a news article this morning saying the government want to make prep compulsory in 2017. Will see if I can find it and edit it in.

Here it is

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...24-gmcttd.html

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I wonder if it's because of all the states WA had to make up the most ground once the national curriculum came in? It's crazy. When we moved here preprimary still wasn't compulsory and within 2 years it went from many kids not going near school until 5/6 to all kids being forced into full time school at 4/5. I wonder if it will wind back in a few years once the schools are more in line with the eastern states. @HollyGolightly81 I'm sure you'll factor this in but my sister started her son in school at 4 in the uk and when they moved back to Melbourne she dropped him down a level and he was way ahead of the other kids and was pretty bored that year.
    Sorry just saw this, so many comments to read! I really need to read up on how it is all working here now. From what I currently know, he has to start the Sept he is 4.5, I've read they don't hold back here, that kids always stay in with their age group so even if they are struggling, say in a particular year they will always advance forward to the next year regardless which I really disagree with. But, I could have sworn I saw a post on my local FB group where some moms were discussing that the option of delaying when they start school was starting. We have no idea how
    much longer we're staying, I think next year we will have a better idea, so genuinely don't know if he will start here or in Melbourne, I would prefer to move before he has to start school. It makes me sad to think of him starting that young, I definitely want him in preschool and doing some socializing and learning but would just prefer it to be more child led learning and play based rather than so structured and such long days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPoms View Post
    There was a news article this morning saying the government want to make prep compulsory in 2017. Will see if I can find it and edit it in.

Here it is

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...24-gmcttd.html
    This is excellent news! I believe that previously it's been at the Principals discretion whether they allow them to complete prep or slot them into grade 1 which is ridiculous. This will eliminate that and allow delayed entry into prep without any concerns. I've already chatted in great detail with our Principal and while he allows kids born in the first half of the year to do prep a year later he actively discourages those born in the second half to delay entry.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Parents with kids starting school at less than 5yo

Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Here's a summary of the school age across states. I think in this context 'school' means Year 1.
    Attachment 77816Attachment 77817
    In the case of SA school is Reception which is before Year 1 and that is what is being referred to in your images
    Last edited by A-Squared; 26-01-2016 at 20:12.