+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Parents with kids starting school at less than 5yo

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I write from a public school perspective.

I've not had experience with private schools, although I know they compete in many sports against other schools quite fiercely. This is NSW anyway. Lots of schools have traditional sporting rivals.
    I'm also writing from that perspective. My daughter was at a state school until year 4.

ETA it's probably less relevant here as they don't allow delayed entry so you'd always be in the same group. I know for after school sports they used to group by age but it was the age by end June so the whole year would be included.
    Last edited by Sonja; 26-01-2016 at 16:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I'm also writing from that perspective. My daughter was at a state school until year 4.

ETA it's probably less relevant here as they don't allow delayed entry so you'd always be in the same group. I know for after school sports they used to group by age but it was the age by end June so the whole year would be included.
    Well it is compulsory for NSW public schools to do athletics carnivals, swimming carnivals, cross country, etc. Obviously I'm not sure on other states but it is part of the curriculum here and all children are expected to attend.

You would still get different age groups in the classes in WA as children who are born after 30th June would be a different age group (but same class) to the kids in the class born the following year before 1st July. But I'm not sure how that would work how you said it when they are competing with other schools/states.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

At DS school ( private NSW) athletics, rugby and swimming you can compete in the age group that you turn that year but for all other sports ( tennis, cricket, water polo , soccer, AFL , basketball etc ) they compete in their school year regardless of age ( this is when competing against other schools )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    At DS school ( private NSW) athletics, rugby and swimming you can compete in the age group that you turn that year but for all other sports ( tennis, cricket, water polo , soccer, AFL , basketball etc ) they compete in their school year regardless of age ( this is when competing against other schools )
    I'm not 100% on private schools but our sports teams where we compete against other schools goes by years, with the exception of children turning 10 in year 5, they can often still play in the junior team. Usually there are the junior team u/8 and u/9 together, sometimes but not always with u/10 and then seniors which is u/11 and above.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Im still not used to how the different states work, they all seem to be quiet different.

In canberra all kids do preschool (though not compulsory) which is offered at almost all schools and they usually do it part time but can do it full time, then they do kindy the year after. That's after daycare.
    I'm confused as well, so many different names too! Canberra sounds a bit like America, you do preschool, then kindergarten, then go into grade 1 (1st grade). In Melbourne what they call kindy seems to be what you are calling preschool and then they go into prep and then year one.

When I was in kindergarten/prep, it was so play based and you only went for 1/2 a day, if you went for a whole day you still got a nap. This is when you are 5/6 years old. But like OZ the states has changed heaps as well and it's much more structured learning and less recess, etc. It makes me sad. But it is also funny, it's being done to try and be more on par academically with other western countries that tend to have better test scores but a lot of those countries are more play based learning so I feel we are really missing the point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I'm still catching up but can somebody tell me if this is right, if we end up being back in Melbourne for starting school:

DS' bday is the start of February, so if we're back in Melbourne he can start prep just before he turns 5 but we should have no problem starting him the following year just before he turns 6, which I would really prefer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I'm still catching up but can somebody tell me if this is right, if we end up being back in Melbourne for starting school:

DS' bday is the start of February, so if we're back in Melbourne he can start prep just before he turns 5 but we should have no problem starting him the following year just before he turns 6, which I would really prefer?
    Yes, in Victoria there's no dramas with keeping them home another year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    The "rules" in NSW are that your child should start school by the time they are 6. Parents who don't send their kids at 4.5 are not breaking any rules.

Personally I think that we should make it uniform across Australia and that every child should start the year they turn 6.

As far as I'm aware, SA is the only state that had more than one intake. That just seems bizarre to me that some kids would miss a term or two of formal schooling?
    Again, I agree - 100% with Australia wide intake the year they turn 6. In SA, the rule is they must start the year they are 5 turning 6, but if they have a jan-apr birthday, they can choose to start younger - when they are 4 turning 5. But a jan-apr birthday can also choose to start the following year if they are 5 turning 6.

Also that no-one is 'breaking the rules' - the rule is they can choose to start school earlier or later,& many may start later.

I dont understand how WA schools are legally allowed to push parents to start their kids younger,when legally australia wide, children dont have to start school until they are 6.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I dont understand how WA schools are legally allowed to push parents to start their kids younger,when legally australia wide, children dont have to start school until they are 6.
    I wonder if it's because of all the states WA had to make up the most ground once the national curriculum came in? It's crazy. When we moved here preprimary still wasn't compulsory and within 2 years it went from many kids not going near school until 5/6 to all kids being forced into full time school at 4/5. I wonder if it will wind back in a few years once the schools are more in line with the eastern states. @HollyGolightly81 I'm sure you'll factor this in but my sister started her son in school at 4 in the uk and when they moved back to Melbourne she dropped him down a level and he was way ahead of the other kids and was pretty bored that year.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know how they get away with it in WA either. I think qld is similar as well.

I'm not sure if this is just NSW or Australia wide but we can't even refer any students with poor attendance to the liaison officer until 6 years old and by then the kids have missed too many days to make up for what has been taught.