+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    Very good point! Even at school though they are separated into years not grades which makes it tricky when getting to upper primary.
    Not in my experience. I have 3 kids at 2 different schools and all sport is done by grade.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Not in my experience. I have 3 kids at 2 different schools and all sport is done by grade.
    Obviously different states and schools are done differently. It should be done by grade, I think it's grossly unfair to separate friends and classes for sports.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (26-01-2016),PomPoms  (26-01-2016),Sonja  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Obviously different states and schools are done differently. It should be done by grade, I think it's grossly unfair to separate friends and classes for sports.
    I actually find it a bit odd to do it that way. I mean its primary school sport not the AIS. It's supposed to be enjoyable so kids actually want to do it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree.

Once they hit grade 4 here they compete against the age they are turning that year. So my older DD is competing against the older year 5s and the younger grade 6s. It annoys her as most of the girls are born in the second half of the intake yeat (Jan-Jun).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    It also depends on the sports club. DD1 started surf club when she was 7 and the cut off for her group was 31 August. She's an August baby. So all the kids from her school year were in the group below her. Made no sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hmmm i think, perhaps on a wider scale, looking beyond school only sport, it is better for schools to operate in age groups, as that is generally what happens in the wider world of sports, particularly at a zone, regional and state level. It simply can't operate on what grade you are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    With regards to swimming carnivals, athletics carnivals, cross country, netball etc. they have to compete in their age group as the schools then compete against each other, then the zones compete against each other, then the regions compete, then states compete against each other at national level. So you can't have an u/8 child running in the u/9 race.

Sure, it should be about having fun and participation but there are kids who compete and want to go to the level.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    With regards to swimming carnivals, athletics carnivals, cross country, netball etc. they have to compete in their age group as the schools then compete against each other, then the zones compete against each other, then the regions compete, then states compete against each other at national level. So you can't have an u/8 child running in the u/9 race.

Sure, it should be about having fun and participation but there are kids who compete and want to go to the level.
    Again it's not like that at either of my kids schools. While I get where you're coming from and don't necessarily disagree it's not like that at every school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Again it's not like that at either of my kids schools. While I get where you're coming from and don't necessarily disagree it's not like that at every school.
    I write from a public school perspective.

I've not had experience with private schools, although I know they compete in many sports against other schools quite fiercely. This is NSW anyway. Lots of schools have traditional sporting rivals.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never known a school to conduct sports carnivals by grades, only by age. I wonder if it's a state difference, too?
    So many variables...my kids play lots of sports with their friends outside of school...it would be awful for them if they had to play in a grade lower. I've never actually thought of that before, but for one of my kids, the ability to play team sports with friends from school as a huge deciding factor as to what sports they are willing to participate in. Basically, we're at an age where it's only worth doing if you're doing it with a friend.